812 or 720S ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

812 or 720S ?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Pinarello, Mar 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koukir32

koukir32 Karting

Dec 23, 2010
    Both great car. And very different in their respective attributes. 720S is more along the lines of the 488 whether in specs and general layout. (ie V8TT, MR layout) It's simply stunning both technologically and power to weight balance. But I still can't get over those "Panda eyes". But neverthanless a master piece in technology and aerodynamics.

Where as the 812SF is more along the lines of a GT car that has the sportiness. But it's a more civilized and more gentlemen like. With the glorious signature Ferrari V12 sound. Styling is just perfect. (more along the lines of a Aventador S level, both GT cars that's super cool to look at and again that V12 sounds...just mesmorizing)

It's really down to what you are looking for at the end. For sure the Ferrari will always get the prestige and pride of ownership. And definately holds the value a bit better than Mclaren will.
    But on the other hand if you are looking for aggressive sunday drive or track days is your thing then the 720S will definately be a better car. No wrong choice here just whichever one you prefer.

(Side note, for a better alternative to the 720S, I would definately get inline with the next 488 Speciale/Scuderia/Challenge Stradale whatever name they gonna come up with) Wink. Wink.

2. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA

Come on, just because I am married, it does not mean I cannot enjoy the look of other ladies, as long as no touchy... lol.

3. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    That is not what I meant...My point was that using the "tale of the showroom" argument means that whatever sells the most or retains its value the best is automatically the best car. That is what I disagree with. McLaren has less brand cachet and for that reason it is more difficult to sell and re-sell. However it remains a great car. Just think what sort of demand the 720S would get if it was badged Ferrari.
    ...Having said that, putting Rolex and PP in the same level as watchmakers is sacrilege! there is simply no comparison in technical ability, heritage and craftsmanship

4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Having said all that, actually I really want to test drive a 720s and hear how it sounds. The ingress/egress are continuing to improve significantly which is one thing I enjoy the degree of marginal improvement through each new model of Mac.

Oh, I am not really a brand snob... so I was not implying that Rolex and PP being compared is sacrilegious at all. Sorry if I came across that way. I was simply pointing out some facts in terms of production numbers and movement. To me, it really comes down what excites you. There are some Rolex that excite me too! And there are some limited edition Casio G-shock that also excite me as well as a particular Richard Mille that I want too.

5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Apples/Oranges IMO.

488 vs 720S though, McLaren hands down.

6. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    The Maclaren depreciation from fast product cycles has been discussed here a lot. Ferrari cycles are speeding up and starting to have a price impact too. In this weeks Autocar UK there's an article on supercar broking which says that the 812 launch 18 month after the tdf with near identical performance has wiped off £100k from current asking prices. I am guessing there aren't too many tdf prices out there to be sure, one is LE, but obviously getting talked about in the market.

7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I read that too and whilst I accept I could be accused of having a bias, I don't think he is right as they are two very different sorts of cars delivering their thrill in different manners. A little like 599GTO to F12.

8. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

In a properly functioning market, the driving thrills, desirability of collecting, showing off etc are all reflected in the price. So tdf is more than 812. If what the article says about £100k being knocked off the tdf as a result of the 812 launch, then the faster products cycles are likely to be having an impact. If the cycles longer like 3 years, then the earlier model has time to mature in the market.