812 Superfast Blendmount/Mirrortap radar detector hardwire | FerrariChat

812 Superfast Blendmount/Mirrortap radar detector hardwire

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Techman, Oct 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Techman

Techman Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    For anyone looking to do a clean radar detector install on their 812 I figured I'd share my experience.

I have a Uniden R7, but the procedure should work for any radar detector assuming you have the appropriate blendmount and mirrortap: https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-R7-Detector-Dual-Antennas-Directional/dp/B07PJ2ZX6R

Blendmount: BR7-3032 - https://blendmount.com/aluminum-radar-detector-mount-for-uniden-r7-specialty-3032-series/ (even though their part finder doesn't list the 2020 812 as being supported, this model worked perfectly - I measured the mirror stem and Blendmount recommended this one).

Mirrortap: MTX-1015 - https://blendmount.com/power-cord-mtx-series-patented-15-inches-long-rj-11-2-amp-inline-fuse-with-military-grade-taps/

Interior trim removal tools: https://www.amazon.com/Tresalto-Auto-Trim-Removal-Tool/dp/B01L8GHB7O/

Procedure:

1) Pop off the small cover behind the mirror. I found that you could slide this up towards the headliner by a few mm, then try and cram a trim removal tool behind it and pop it out. This piece is held in by four clips (two on each side).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2) Do the same thing to the larger plastic housing piece. It's also held on by four clips. The attached photo shows the location of two of them, which should help you locate and pop them off.

3) With all of that removed, I tapped the yellow and black wires (switched +12V and ground, respectively) of the connector on the right in the picture below. This connector powers the Homelink equipped mirror.

The final installation turned out great:

camshaft, 350MH83, R J and 4 others like this.
  2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I'm surprised Blendmount fits. I looked into it a while back but concluded it wouldn't work for the FF.

Anyway, excellent tutorial with pictures!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Techman

Techman Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    I was surprised too, based on the website it didn't seem like there would be any solutions for the 812. I emailed them, they asked for photos and an accurate measurement of the mirror stem and prescribed the unit above. Works perfectly.

otakki likes this.
  4. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I am trying to accomplish a similar task in a 2018 GTC4Lusso with the installation of a mirrortap for a radar detector, I was able to remove the mirror by pulling the mirror, parallel with the windshield toward the dash until it was disconnected. The mirror in my model is a one-piece unit with the mirror and plastic surround connected together and removed together. I expected to find a wiring plug to aid me in accessing a 12v switched wire and a ground. In this post, the yellow wire was the 12v switched wire and the black wire was ground, but in my application, there does not seem to be an easily accessible plug to check or tap into. Can anyone confirm this? Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

scottevestceo likes this.
  5. scottevestceo

scottevestceo Karting

Apr 16, 2023
    Full Name:
    Scott Jordan
    Did you ever get this done? Would love any feedback as I am trying to install one on my lusso as well

6. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I gave up on the mirror tap and went to the fuse box instead

7. scottevestceo

scottevestceo Karting

Apr 16, 2023
    Full Name:
    Scott Jordan
  8. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Here you go

Attached Files:

9. scottevestceo

scottevestceo Karting

Apr 16, 2023
    Full Name:
    Scott Jordan
    Gorgeous. What color is that?

10. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nero Daytona or metallic black with black interior

11. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
  12. sandman03456

Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    You might. I can't recall where I originally poached them from, but they were useful to me and will likely continue to be useful to others. Thanks again to the original poster. I was just recycling them.

13. scottevestceo

scottevestceo Karting

Apr 16, 2023
    Full Name:
    Scott Jordan
    I had my local shop hardwire my radar detector, but he was concerned after he did it that it might cause electrical issues. Fortunately, no electrical problems, but the radar detector reboots under hard acceleration, which is odd and just when you need the radar to work. Ferrari shop in SLC said not to install anything as it would cause issues. Have you had any similar issues?

14. Techman

Techman Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    Hmm no, nothing like this. This sounds like a bad connection somewhere (or poor ground).

15. Jhoffmann2004

Jhoffmann2004 Rookie

Jul 26, 2017
    Titusville, FL
    Full Name:
    Jorge

16. Jhoffmann2004

Jhoffmann2004 Rookie

Jul 26, 2017
    Titusville, FL
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Hi Techman:
    I have a 2018 812 and gave the info you gave us to Blendmount and they are saying it will not fit.
    The pics you posted to not show a clear view of the neck of the mirror.
    It seems yours comes out almost horizontal from the base, mine is at a steep angle.
    Could you take a good pick of the mirror neck?
    Thanks, Jorge Hoffmann
    321-213-0089
    Note: just realized you have a different mirror! Is yours a GTS?

Plife likes this.
  17. Plife

Plife Karting

Oct 6, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have your mirror just ended up using suction cup and doing fuse box under steering column. Its not as clean but its cleaner than the cord hanging out the armrest. Blendmount doesnt have a solution for the 2018 curved mirror unfortunately

18. Jhoffmann2004

Jhoffmann2004 Rookie

Jul 26, 2017
    Titusville, FL
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    Hello my friend:
    Thanks for the tip. I will use the peel and stick Valentine adaptor shown on the pic, suction cups sometime come off and some are bulky. Will use a wire tap to tap into power at the dome light. Bought this on eBay and user the Valentine visor clip . Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Plife likes this.
  19. Jhoffmann2004

Jhoffmann2004 Rookie

Jul 26, 2017
    Titusville, FL
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    By the way, it rattles a lot, ended up gluing the new bracket to the visor bracket with epoxy to prevent it from rattling.