812 VS Rumors | Page 134 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    About the name, 812Competizione? 812Daytona?

2. Art_collector

Art_collector Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    By the end of this month the dealers will know who is getting a slot.

3. ilcapodizurigo

ilcapodizurigo Karting

Oct 16, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Meier
    Heard the same

Art_collector likes this.
  4. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    bu
    buddy - it’s not a competition ... best respect is shown to members like
    Challenge .. ppg etcetc ... it’s a discussion , not a d*#k swinging competition .

stavura, KenU, nads and 9 others like this.
  5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I wonder what role the delicate current state of Italian government plays in all these discussions regarding timing and ultimately consumption...

6. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    There seems to be an assumption that the SF90 killed the 812 coupe. I have had three including one new, I kept going back like a moth to a flame but let finding them quite unrewarding to drive. Amazing engine and feeling of occasional. But,,,,,,So big, did not key in to the tarmac at all and traction poor. Depreciation catastrophic very early in to production. That could be why production suspended rather than SF90 which I would think appeals to a different type of client.

635CSI and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Each market is different, however, in the USA there is no assumption, I researched it as it was happening. The USA dealer order book literally went from 18 months (before production expected to start for an order placed at a dealer, that is, 18 months before the factory would let out an allocation) to less than 1 month, this pivoted the month leading up to the SF90 reveal and then post reveal you could order an 812SF and receive it in 4 months from order status 10R to customer delivery (including boat trip across the Atlantic). Previous to the SF90 reveal earliest delivery was 22+ months. When combined with the factory's deliberate overproduction for EU/UK and China the 812SF order book never recovered. The primary reason is simple, Ferrari had made the SF90 the new top of production, first time ever displacing the V12 and became the new sought after model.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  8. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    is the SF90 sought after ?

Marcel Massini likes this.
  9. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    So with these likely VS or GTO numbers what do you imagine the final mortal GTS production number will be? When will the super mortal versions begin and finish leading to a new more than likely smaller block v12 with assistance. Thoughts please.

10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It was the 'shiny new' model and it was with amazing speed the orders switched from 812SF to SF90, Ferrari lost at least a year's with of 812SF production due to order cancellations. Some USA dealers had 30+ orders awaiting allocations, then, poof, gone.

Is the SF90 sought after, in terms of new orders? No more, the order book is closed from what I understand...

11. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    The SF90 orders have shifted to SF90 spiders...the risk of announcing new cars too fast.

Veloce12 and of2worlds like this.
  12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Or producing them too slowly...waiting a year and half to announce the SF90 Spider didn't seem too fast...until you consider the large production delay of the coupe...

of2worlds likes this.
  13. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I was told to 1000-1200 so I think probably around 1200-1500. There is probably some truth to this because I tried to order a second 812 GTS and was told it was not possible by 4 US dealers. If anyone has a lead on an open slot please PM me. I am now considering holding on to my GTS in addition to the VS car. The demand for the GTS seems to exceed the available build slots. This relates to another post on here that I had replied to. The post was about how time-limited production is a disingenuous measure of rarity. I would agree that is true for a Range Rover but with Ferrari this is not the case. They are in fact limited by the number of cars they can build in a day, much more so than other daily driver brands.

of2worlds and uhn2000 like this.
  14. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Thank you, That’s a very low number. The GTS is a stunning car and the limited editions will be amazing. A nice send off before the regulators test the engineers and our passion for motoring.

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Is it just me feeling a bit of deja vu with this thread? Pista hype was off the charts then they built quite 'a lot' of them (ton would be somewhat unkind)..then they dropped the F8 bombshell..

16. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    From what I understand there is a finite amount of 12’s that can be built and the GTS is sold out and they haven’t started the special editions. With regulations looming there is a time constraint so unless they build another line to make the v12’s not sure the pista comparison applies.

17. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Karting

Nov 4, 2006
    An argument can be made for producing a 'gracious' number of units, i.e., one that more generously reflects market demand.

Ferrari has a mystical ability to infuse metal, glass and rubber with passion. Ferrari has been a good fit for me because the things I pursue are rooted in passion. My interactions with other Ferrari owners/enthusiasts instruct that I am not alone in this regard.

Many believe that the 812 VS is going to be the last of its pure/traditional kind. If this proves to be true, there is going to be grave disappointment among customers who, like me, have a burning desire for the car, but are denied a build slot.

Clouds have been gathering for some time; an economic sh!tsorm of [likely] biblical proportions is coming. Twentieth century history provides invaluable lessons on economic survival and reversal of fortune. Negative sentiment and economic upheaval are a toxic cocktail. Ferrari would do well to maximize customer goodwill. Against this backdrop, a more gracious production of the 812 VS may be prudent. Having said that, I acknowledge that Ferrari walks a tightrope because of disparate, competing customer sentiment.

18. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    What really is time limited production? In addition, what is time limited production with a vague start and end window? If it is truly time limited they should know almost exactly the number of cars they can build. Therefore why not just disclose a number? I suspect because that
    1. That number is higher than they want to disclose
    2. It ensures if they don't sell that number it doesn't look like a failure.

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That's a good one!
    Like it.

Marcel Massini

JJ77, Eilig and maxemus like this.
  20. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    LL is one of the best and most helpful contributors on here. His early owner feedback on the GTS was a service to everyone on this site who is interested in that car. We all owe him a debt of gratitude for this and many other helpful posts and insights.

One of the most valuable things about this entire site is that astute and dedicated readers can get early intelligence about upcoming models that may give them the edge in obtaining a car they want. Or at least a better chance than they would normally have. Some times that makes the difference in life.

This is why I think it is so important that we all try to accurately handicap things such as production limiting protocols and numbers to be produced. And that’s why I sometimes shut the door pretty hard on daft notions floated by others. Because by squashing things that are either obviously wrong or 99% likely wrong, we get closer to an accurate picture. And that helps everyone. For example, I believe that the collective conversations in the past few days triangulates toward the inevitable conclusion that the 812 VS is going to be a limited number production car. In other words it’s going to be like the F12tdf. It’s not going to be like the Pista. LL’s posts above echo the business case analysis I outlined in posts #3202 and #3221. The only issue I have is the notion that they are going to make 999 pieces. They are not going to do that. Yes we don’t know for sure. But I’m 99% sure. To make 999 of something and then call it limited edition is not a credible marketing position. They could have sold 999 F12tdfs but there’s a reason they cut it off at 799 ... that’s the last frontier of being able to use the term ‘exclusive’ with a straight face and be taken seriously. Ferrari would never make themselves the butt of a joke, which is what having a limited edition of ‘only’ 999 pieces ( effectively a thousand ) would do. Respectfully, if anyone doesn’t understand that you can’t call 999 pieces exclusive, then they don’t understand marketing.
    Thats why they are going to make 799 coupes and 499 apertas. That also gets them collectively 30% more than 999 and still maintains fully credible exclusivity positioning. They have already established these frontier numbers. As examples, they made 799 TDF and 499 of the Speciale Aperta.

Thank you again Luke for all of your valuable contributions to the Ferrari Chat community. You are one of the greats!

maxemus likes this.
  21. ilcapodizurigo

ilcapodizurigo Karting

Oct 16, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    John Meier
    Heard from a very reliable source it’ll be 812 coupes and 250 spiders. 812 is clear and 250 as a tribute to the 250 GTO. Yes, does not make sense as it wasn’t a convertible. Let’s see. We’ll know by February 1st for certain.

Avia11 likes this.
  22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    This sounds like the definition of totalitarianism?

Personally everyone on this site contributes and to me there is no "daft notion" - only someones right to express there view. But hey that's just me.

23. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    1300+ F40's......but still pretty exclusive, no?

24. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    That will be a massively sought after convertible...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Avia11 likes this.
  25. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    10000RPM,V12,1000hp car is Testarossa ?