812 VS Rumors | Page 198 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Transaxle! Could have something to do with it. If you have 10k revs to play with you can have lower gearing, presumably more heat in the transaxle, especially nearly 900 hp and lower gearing.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The main reason not to take the air form underneath, is to keep that airflow clean. Remember that the majority of what actual downforce the car can make IRL, is created underneath, not on top.

I don't think practicality is going to be the strong suit of this car. As I mentioned a few pages back, could the breakthough be the battery size? Perhaps. I don't think the boot will be totally occupied by battery and radiators, but rather just a more shallow floor, say 8-10 cm less depth. This could contain a small but hyper-efficient battery pack, as well as air-cooled liquid to air heat exchangers. I know, I'm weaving here, but still. Right now that thing looks so interesting to me that I'm just happy to roll with it a bit. I think what ever it is, something special and cool is on its way.

JagShergill and Lukeylikey like this.
  3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #4928 ingegnere, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Good call by @JTSE30 for the “slats” at the back.

I couldn’t understand how this would work with a glass backlight and couldn’t imagine no glass but there you go, no glass. Maybe just a slot down the middle?

I tried to imagine how these slats could transition to the sail panels, hence the 275-type louvres on my sketch. I at least guessed right on the scoop over the rear quarter being eliminated.

Also looks to have some CF element down at the front fender opening similar to what I drew—unless that’s a reflection.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jpalmito, F140C, JTSE30 and 4 others like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Could be. But just because they raise the RPM 1500, does that not warrant a ton of air. They just change the ring and pinion and the gearbox sees the same RPM. So the added cooling needed would not be much I think. Even trans coolers for much more beefy and wild transmissions are relatively small and fit in small places. Ferrari can try and use a ton of buzz words if it was a styling element, but I don't think even Ferrari has the balls to try that. Despite the fact that Ferrari knows people buy into a lot of things, there are limits. They know that if they put something that big and obvious on the car, it darn well better serve a proper purpose. Ferrari's bread and butter is for all intended purposes still to make fairly clean looking cars, despite the fact that they have moved in a more aggressive direction.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm excited:D

5. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Since we are all speculating here, I have always wondered about the performance and emissions benefits of some sort of active back pressure management system. Because of the increased back pressure caused by the new GPF systems (essentially a Venturi effect), what if that pressure could be neutralized or even improved with active devices (such as ECM motors)? If they were placed near the exhaust exit, they would likely need to be cooled. IIRC, some of the mules had what looked like enlarged, vented surrounds on the exhaust tips. Could these vents be used for that purpose and the cooling come from above? Just an idea.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  6. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Maybe they just moved the vents from the b-pillars to become the slats on the roof? Regardless of what they are, they look awesome.

7. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I was told Targa tops would fit in the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Guys , impressed by all the technical info you are providing - however I’m simple and it’s way above my understanding — but I LOVE what I see and if it’s close to 10,000 RPM, hybrid or not , with that aggressive styling - I’m Excited ! The perspective of that image distorts and foreshortens the front so that Carbon bonnet ‘vane/vent’ May be wider than it appears at first glance - would give a menacing ‘arrowhead ‘appearance from the front .... yes please !

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Some people are saying this pic could be the targa aperta version.... hmmm

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Seems to have the same shut lines as the base car so I think it’s a hatch. I don’t see a gap at the forward end of the roof that a targa would have.

crinoid likes this.
  12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I agree. I think people jumped to a conclusion after not seeing typical glass rear window.

ingegnere likes this.
  13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I feel absolutely bad. Because I don't like at all what I saw on this leak (looks really weird IMO), but I know the final thing will probably look better. And don't want to wait dos meses to see the thing...

Maybe @Ingenere can lower my pain by trying a facial composite...

Nasimento91 likes this.
  14. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    The carbon Targa roof would require solid mounting point at the windshield and towards the rear. I don’t know how that could be done with a hinged rear trunk which also needs a solid mounting surface. Judging from where the vents start and the requirement for solid mounting surface the Targa roof would be very small.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

dcmetro likes this.
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I hope this helps but I agree it’s weird:
    Big NACA scoop to feed the spoiler or glass?! Or both?

16. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier

ingegnere likes this.
  17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What could the NACA scoop possibly lead to?

Holding out for the full release but so far it looks too extreme for my liking.

Jeronimo GTO and ingegnere like this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Just a WAG because a scoop like that doesn’t work well on a diverging surface but it could still feed air to the underside of a wing/spoiler like on 488, for example, if the flow remains attached. And if glass, will give a bit of rearward visibility. They also reduced rear glass area oh TdF.

Agree that it’s extreme because I had sketched something like this based on the camouflaged car—gotta find my sketches—but dismissed this because I thought “no way the rear view is blocked like that!”

19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    That huge V12 back there duh! Ohhhhh wait....

Ok maybe you have some hot luggage back there....

456-boy, Bas and ingegnere like this.
  20. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
    Blocking the rear is actually easily overcome by an Escalade type camera/rear view setup.
    What I can’t get over are the air ducts. It makes me feel like they are cooling some electric motors or trying to move a lot of air for some unknown reason.

Normally you get the tech of the next model, but , other than tuning or programming for more BHP, have they ever altered or changed the power unit or type on any VS model like that?

21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Agree about the camera as long as it’s a net saving on weight—camera vs. weight of glass saved.

The scoops on the hatch probably feed air to the back of the car for some aero feature(s) while the black on the hood is probably mostly a CF panel (mostly for style) incorporating some vents (like those on the base car) and some additional venting as was done on TdF.

Ltfor3 likes this.
  22. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I can't see them adding electric motors just for the VS. That's such a huge engineering job on a platform that wasn't meant for it, it'll just be unbalanced and compromised.

23. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    This.

24. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    fil, 9nb, 456-boy and 2 others like this.
  25. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX