812 VS Rumors | Page 235 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I’m getting very ready to see this car now!

JagShergill likes this.
  2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Man, too bad you didn't see my face the second after my brain realized who you were talking about ahahahahah seriously you made my morning. Freakin' Dan Jewett. The local african marabout of my city will soon finish the puppet modelled after him. I already bought the needles :D:D:D:D:mad::mad::mad:

Lukeylikey likes this.
  3. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Anyone have any info or good estimate on the weight reduction compared to the 812 SF?

When I see the incredible work done on the F12 TDF (110Kg less it seems to me).

I can't wait to see what they will do with this 812 VS!

4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Very probably in the same area IMO

Pis7a2020, Caeruleus11 and Jonathan19 like this.
  5. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Really? 110Kg seems huge to me.

Albert-LP likes this.
  6. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I think it is possible if there's no electrification of any kind. More is clearly difficult. 80/100 seems reasonable, but that's a pure guess, I have no informations at all

Jonathan19 likes this.
  7. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Yes I understand, if Ferrari manages to reduce the weight of 100Kg in addition to a small stroke of power. Add to that the 10,000rpm rumor and you get some amazing things. I can't wait!

Caeruleus11 and dcmetro like this.
  8. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    IL take 50 Hp more , 75 kg less and 9500 rpm.....oh and a carbon cup holder obviously ! Lol...

9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Looks like it will gain weight, the car literally appears to be .5m longer than the 812SF...

Jonathan19 likes this.
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Ferrari is a bit funny as when they introduces a new model they declare the weight as "dry weight" (that nobody knows what it includes and what not) with the "lighter options": but when they compare it with the old model I suppose they don't take the lowest weight with all the lighter options the old model could have. This said the real weight reduction cannot be much (I suppose less than 50kg with the same options).

Ciao

11. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Also, rumor has it that 900NM of torque.... for a pure V12 engine NA I find that really high.

It seems to me that the 812 Superfast is over 700NM of torque, which is already really impressive.

I have a question for those who know, the fact of increasing the number of RPM allows to have a higher torque or it has nothing to do?

12. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Drop the radio as that seems utter pointless in a 10,000rpm car.
    Wish I didn't opt for a radio in my Pista as it is pretty darn useless.

Jonathan19 likes this.
  13. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    For an internal combustion engine, torque is the amount of force the combustion generates (moving the pistons). How much air, fuel, and combustion efficiency are the primary factors to change torque output. Power output is a calculation using torque and rpm.

In other words, high rpm doesn’t necessarily mean higher torque. If the same torque output can be maintained at higher rpm, it means more power.

Caeruleus11 and Jonathan19 like this.
  14. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Thanks for the explanation I appreciate it.

15. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Those really are not in a direct relationship.
    Raising the HP is doable by raising rev limiter (a bit) but increasing NM that much you would need external (forced) induction or a bigger volume. But are not feasible, so the 900NM rumour doesn't seem that feasable or legit.

Doug23, Caeruleus11 and Jonathan19 like this.
  16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    this might help some:
    https://elev8performance.com/how-to-increase-torque-in-an-engine/

torque of the SF90 is 800nm, F12TDF 706nm, 812SF 719nm, if the 812VS were to have torque of 900nm it will not because of anything done to massage the engine, it would be due to some device being added to assist the engine...and something quite massive indeed...

even the Lamborghini Sian (with electric supercapacitor for boost) has torque of "only" 760nm

Doug23, JagShergill, Bundy and 3 others like this.
  17. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Thank you, I will read this right away!

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The torque must be more or less the same, as it's something that is displacement related: you can have 900 NM from a 6.5 liters V12 only if you have an increased manifold pressure over atmospheric pressure (means supercharged or turbocharged). If the car has 900 NM, means there is some extra help (hybrid engine, in any way)

ciao

jpalmito, Doug23, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    @Jonathan19

For example, the Pagani Huayra, 6L twin-turbo (MercedesBenz) V12, 1001nm (but 'only' 764horsepower)

Caeruleus11 and Jonathan19 like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The torque is not really a function of higher RPM. The torque builds as RPM climbs but then typically falls off at higher RPM. See the graph below comparing the power range of the F12 vs. the 812SF. Note these two engines are tuned differently with the F12 starting off with slightly more torque in the lower RPM range and then losing some torque in comparison with the 812SF at higher RPM.
    The engine displacement from the bore (diameter of the cylinder) and the stroke (length of the connecting rod) determine the location of the torque within the operating RPM range of the engine. To achieve higher revs typically calls for a larger bore size combined with a shorter rod length. This creates a more stable platform for the valvetrain. However the size of the engine block spacing between the cylinders will restrict the ultimate displacement of the engine. How radical the camshafts specifications are will also contribute to the torque range location. Ferrari also limits the available power at certain RPM to so higher RPM is not some special benefit without penalty. The tdF for example needed 'mechanical lifters' to help achieve it's higher RPM potential which introduces other compromises with noise regulations and all this is with the requirement to meet certain emission numbers. Ferrari also builds in a 'safety margin' to the performance specification of the motor/transmission drivetrain. What Ferrari has already achieved with the 812 motor is rather amazing so the higher power level for the VS presents some interesting challenges.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Thank you all for your clarifications, I really appreciate it!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Thanks!
    So it seems now that each additional gain for this V12 generation must necessarily go through some kind of doping?

23. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Actually, 1,100 Nm. The M158 engine in the Pagani Huayra family can reliably make 1,100 Nm and materially more power than 764 PS in its currently most evolved form. The redline will still be below 7,000, but that much oomph in a very lightweight car (by modern supercar standards) is a seriously addictive thing. Given that the engine can't sing like a high-revving naturally aspirated V12 can, they have done a great job of aurally highlighting the air induction and expulsion noises of the turbochargers. When driven in aggression, it can sound quite violent.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ferrari no doubt has all sorts of 'bench marks' that a new or revised motor must meet before it is ready for production. They obviously use light weight ie. expensive internal parts with novel engineering solutions. Even small details like the shape and finish of the connecting rod plus the shape of the piston dome and sky high compression ratio are keys to performance. The induction system and the very fine metering of the fuel to be burned all contribute to massive yet liveable horsepower. There is also the detail of handling all the heat this motor generates. The technical specifications for the VS should wow us with both power and efficiency to.

Caeruleus11 and jpalmito like this.
  25. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Yeah, there's always a * that leads to "with light-weight options". Anything between -50 and -100 KGs is a good guess though.