812 VS Rumors | Page 31 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    The only downside I see is that EU versions end up being "gimped" because of the nannies, GPF, etc., while the rest of the world has the raw (better) versions.

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    These limiters are defeatable in 2 ways; via a button and by pressing on the accelerator. Many cars have them now already (speed limiters).

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    This sounds nothing like the engine on the dyno. Also, the video seems heavily doctored. Finally, it won't sound like an FXX-K, as it is a road car at the end of the day.

4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I very much doubt that the EU is insisting on speed limiters that can be disabled with the simple push of a button. If you read the rhetoric around this, they are really cracking down on road deaths and speeding. Do you really think this is achieved if anyone can simply disable it?

The device will likely take the form of a GPS enabled device. It either won’t let the car exceed the relevant speed limit, or it will.... but you’ll have a letter arrive in the post not long after...

Bundy likes this.
  5. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Personally, I would never buy any car , much less a Ferrari, outfitted with a speed limiter. Feel the same about AEB and most of these other nannies. If needed, I’ll exploit every possible loophole (e.g. grandfathering exemptions for older cars) to preserve the purity of the driving hobby that I’ve loved since I was a wee tot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Shack

Shack Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thats the EU peeps problem is it not?

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Except when Ferrari goes 'CHEAP' and decides one EU version spec is what they will give ALL their customers...

8. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    I
    Possibly one of the very few positives about Brexit for UK buyers !

F2003-GA and Foxmod like this.
  9. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    They might live to regret that decision if it gets made. The U.S. is hardly an inconsequential market, and we Americans are historically a feisty, stubborn lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/147581-uk-cars-set-to-adopt-speed-limiting-devices-under-new-eu-laws

seems UK will require from MY2022...with the caveat:

He also explained: "The Commission wanted to make it compulsory that the car would automatically slow down to observe speed limits but we have secured a compromise where the system merely has to alert the driver that he or she is speeding."

so, probably not "defeatable" in the sense you can totally turn it off, instead it will nag you...

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  11. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I already have a speed limiter that nags me but she is defeatable if I insist on taking my grandson instead.

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Good reason not to have passenger display, as it exacerbates audible warnings elicited from female speed limiter.

Bundy, nycbrose and ajr550 like this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    "ISA will provide a driver with feedback, based on maps and road sign observation, always when the speed limit is exceeded. We do not introduce a speed limiter, but an intelligent system that will make drivers fully aware when they are speeding."
    http://www.fema-online.eu/website/index.php/2019/04/16/eu-parliament-says-yes/

14. ameer20

ameer20 Rookie

Nov 9, 2005
    EU
    Sorry to say but some rather questionable ideas were picked up on this thread.

So basically the GPF is only mandatory on vehicles equipped with direct injection. There is a way around this and has already been used by Lamborghini in the Huracan Performante and EVO. They equipped the cars with a dual injection system, port and direct, in this way the car is below the threshold needed for applying a GPF. All MY 2019 perfo and evo for the EU have this dual injection and do not have a GPF. There is no exemption or loophole here at work since EVO is technically a new model of the Huracan and needed homologation in order to be sold.
    I think because these new standards were rapidly thought up (in the wake of dieselgate) and introduced on a short timescale, many manufacturers did not have time to adapt their engine technology so the GPF was a quick fix solution. In the future and also depending on how GPF equipped Ferraris are received by the public, they will adapt, but the models being launched now, were likely so far in development that finding a solution to avoid GPFs was not feasible. So there is hope for the future. I'm sure Ferrari will consider feedback on GPFs and take appropriate action in the development of future engines. So best tell them what you really think! ::)

As to mandatory safety tech being made standard, I get that some may be annoyed by it, but it's not the "evil" EU at fault here alone. The US gvt as well has introduced regulation that requires safety tech to be fitted as standard and has been in many cases ahead of the EU in this regard.

And about the speed limiting devices that will have to be fitted to EU cars from 2022, these are not there to limit you arbitrarily or prevent you from enjoying your car if you so wish on a public road, they are there to assist, so basically if the system is turned on (and it can be 100% disabled) it helps you maintain the car at the speed limit set on the road you are travelling, and warns you if you go over, it also helps so you don't get fined by the insane amount of speed cameras in some areas. I honestly welcome this tech as the last time I visited an area with heavy use of speed cameras, I paid more in fines than I paid for renting the car... Many cars already have this intelligent speed assistance, last I encountered one was in new BMW, it reads speed signs, correlates with gps and with the press of a button automatically adapts to said speed. It makes long distance driving easier and less stressful. No one sane would arbitrarily limit a car's speed, there are many situations when speeding up is safer, say to avoid an accident, or overtake a slow moving vehicle etc. In my country for example it is legal to overtake at a higher speed than the speed limit, I think about 60 km/h over the limit. So if the limit on a road is say 100 km/h you can legally go 160 km/h when overtaking.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    In Switzerland, where I live, if you drive 160 kmh in a 100 kmh zone you go to jail at least 1 full year (even if you speed only for two seconds). Add a massive fine plus two or more years without license.
    A RR driver in Switzerland recently got fined over $ 300‘000 (three hundred grand) for speeding. And he went to the highest Swiss court, and lost. Not kidding.

Marcel Massini

Doug23 and of2worlds like this.
  16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That sounds nasty - I'll continue to enjoy the back roads of Florida without any of those concerns :p

furoni, of2worlds, Timonous and 2 others like this.
  17. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    ...plus getting the license back after two years involves a psychometric evaluation...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So that is horrifying.

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #769 REALZEUS, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Switzerland has some nice back roads, but other than that it is the worst - most repressive country, I have ever seen. Ridiculous speed limits, people ratting at each other, even inside villages regarding parking offences; not being allowed to flush the loo after 22:00, in some cases. I am a simple man though, I love my Rolex Aquamarine and especially those white Milka chocolates...

20. francescaoscar

Jun 11, 2014
    Uk
    Visit the Isle of Man where I live. There is no National speed limit so in derestricted areas (such as parts of the TT course) you can drive at whatever speed you want so long as it is not dangerous...my 812 loves it here

ewright, furoni, kandi and 6 others like this.
  21. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    At the risk of dragging this thread back on track has anyone heard anything more about 812 VS since the spy shots of a modified 812 appeared ?

Doug23, of2worlds, Thecadster and 4 others like this.
  22. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    My digging this weeks leads me to believe this model will be launched in 2020 as expected and in line with recent releases will not be a limited number car.

23. Shack

Shack Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Simple solution - don't speed in Switzerland - You are only a few km's from Germany and Italy anyway

24. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    If anyone attending the early September Spider launches can glean any info on 812 VS after a few Nastro Azzurro could they post here.
    My best guess is it will happen,launch will be Q1/Q2 2020 and not limited edition.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If they make it then not being limited fits in with the new sales strategies. Another true limited on the same platform seems annoying to F12TdF owners although they'd be the first to get in line. Going to a production limited as opposed to the numbered unit stays clear of the hurt and they can charge what they want and make as many as they want like the case with Pista versions. Of course, I'd rather they blow it completely out and make the last street legal mega non-hyper mid-front beast but probably not happening for a lot of reasons.