82 308gtsi difficult cold weather starting | FerrariChat

82 308gtsi difficult cold weather starting

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308proff, Jan 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308proff

308proff Rookie

Dec 19, 2006
    wading river, n.y.
    Full Name:
    Dr. Stephen J. Wohll
    Having difficulty starting 82 308 gtsi in cold weather

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Two items add enrichment for cold starting/running on the 2Vi models:

1. The cold start injector should squirt for the first second, or two, of the initial cold start attempt, and

2. The Warm-Up Regulator reduces the control pressure to allow the FD plunger to deflect further for a given intake airflow (increasing the slit openings for a given airflow and adding more fuel).

If it "coughs" on the initial cranking attempt, but won't stay running = evidence against the WUR (and the cold and warm control pressures should be measured). If it never "coughs", wouldn't hurt to confirm/deny the cold start injector operation, too. (Volvo and MB of the same era also use Bosch K-Jet CIS injection if you need to find a shop to investigate.)

mwr4440 and waymar like this.
  3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    IMHO, take the WHOLE CIS apart and Clean it. Get the major components out, cleaned and checked.

There is 30+years of cobwebs and dinosaur bones in there. The crap that came out of my Fuel Distributor for example, could have choked a mammoth.

Thankfully on these cars, much of this (CIS component removal for further cleaning and testing) can be DIY in a morning, with a very, very modest metric tool box.*

* - Take LOTS of pics, FIRST.

4. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I concur. I had my wur and FD rebuilt. Changed out the injectors and fuel lines. Although not needed I replaced the accumulator. Experienced better reliability.