83 308 QV ( USA spec) QQ "F" shaped plastic pipe | FerrariChat

83 308 QV ( USA spec) QQ "F" shaped plastic pipe

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by NYCFERRARIS, Sep 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    A real quick dumb question.

On my QV with air pump -- I have apart -- a black plastic "F" shaped tube -- with two short pipes and one long pipe -- a single molded unit -- not sure where that goes now that I removed it ? seems it might attach to some vacuum controls on the passenger plenum and wrap around over the front bank -- not sure.- can't really ID it on the parts tables

Also,

curious -- my passenger side air - intake duct leading to the air cleaner box has a open duct pointing down to the rear cam cover -- no hose or nothing -- it is inside the wheel arch cover so I don't think it is a brake cooler -- is there a hose for that or is it left open and for what purpose ?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    For the RH air duct, item 4 in the 1983 US 308QV SPC page below (which they shifted in the figure to be over by the LH air duct, item 34), are you taking about where hose #13 attaches? I believe hose 13 doesn't really connect to anything -- it's just a fresh air source to help cool the diff and the cats (there might be a metal loop welded to the chassis somewhere to hold the free end of hose #13).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Don't see anything like a black plastic "F" pipe in the air injection system:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Steve - yes that would be it -- I don't have the hose - weird - solved the mystery.

Thank you every one -- found it -- # 41 (shaped pipe) on table 12 carb system --- glad I did - I had it wrong..

Also - I always wondered why there were openings in the cam covers for the tensioner bolts -- was that to check periodically the torque on the bolts -- or was there an early design thought to retention the tensioners periodically without removing the covers and belts...

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You'd have to double-check the diameter (50mm?), but my recollection is that the flexible air heater hose from a Volkswagen Beetle would work as a replacement and is able to withstand that environment (if a replacement from F is unobtanium or crazy price).

5. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Good ideas Steve, but I finally found my original hose -- really any hose with a "T" in it would have worked - but I now have the OEM form shaped hose -- runs from some air valves off the plenum to the bottom of the air intake.