83958 Major - 2016 - Air Injection Pump | Page 3 | FerrariChat

83958 Major - 2016 - Air Injection Pump

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Dec 16, 2018.

1. We apologize, our new Classifieds has been intermittently down as we sent an email today that overloaded the system. We'll get it fixed and then you can link from the header "Buy - Sell" or from the email. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Well, technically, the belt snapped and fell off when the air pump seized after making horrible squealing sounds...….;)

But, yes, to your point, the air pump was there, but the belt was missing.

vincenzo likes this.
  2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    See post 12...

It all could have been prevented for less than 30$.

Guys - replace your check valves!

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I´m lucky - here in europe we don´t have such airpumps and all the unnecessary things :)

vincenzo likes this.
  4. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Bringing up this thread since I can't get the tension high enough on my smog pump belt. It sounds like a banshee at high rpm and has a slight chirp at idle. Vincenzo, how did you tension your pump's belt?

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

It rotates around bolt #9 and item #13 is slotted to allow movement. Loosen items 9, 17 and the nut on the belt cover. With the engine out, just use a prybar to rotate the pump. Have not yet tried to adjust it in the car.... same idea but likely more cumbersome.

Your pump may be having problems. They love to seize from exhaust moisture backing into the pump. Make sure your check valves are good to keep the moisture out. Cheap to replace.

PS: “high revs” infers that your engine is warmed up. This pump should not be turning once your engine is warmed up. It has an electrically operated clutch to disconnect from the belt once warm. Could your squeal be from the alternator belt?

6. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank you for the response. I focused on the smog pump belt since I recently discovered it was loose. The pump runs quietly during the first couple of minutes of a cold start. I tried retensioning but it is no fun in the car. And I couldn't get much change using my weight. Another issue is getting a detailer spray on the accessory belts. I have new accessory belts coming and wanted to nail down the technique for the smog pump since I am comfortable with the other two belts.

I won't be able to get a pry bar and my hand up there to tighten it. I was thinking about buying this tool: Image Unavailable, Please Login

I just wanted to see how you got yours done. It isn't fun in the car.

I took your advice with the check valves during my major. The car runs great and easily passed CA smog. I smogged it during the firestorms. Even with that polluted air it is the cleanest car I've smogged.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    On a cold start, the belt should be at its greatest risk of squeal. At startup time, the pump is resisting the belt’s efforts to spin it. Once warm, your clutch kicks in and disconnects the pump from the belt. The pulley just spins freely and offers little/no resistance to the belt.

Perhaps try a belt dressing on just one belt at a time and see if it helps you determine which belt is making noise. Is that what you meant by ‘detailer spray’?

No doubt a proper lift would greatly help your efforts. Tightening from below using jack stands would be a royal PIA.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I just threw the car on the lift after getting the car warm. It wasn't the belt. Looks like my tensioner bearing is shot. I'll post a separate thread to keep this on topic.

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003