84 QV - 1 or 2 radiator fans?? | FerrariChat

84 QV - 1 or 2 radiator fans??

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stasha, Sep 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    In the course of my fuse box problems, I saw that there should be a left and a right radiator fan.
    Our 84 QV Cab only has ONE (left side), with an appropriately-sized blank space on the right, BUT NO MOUNTING HOLES. (See pic).
    The car never overheated over our 2300 trip, but got around 210deg F in hot hot Vegas, stuck in traffic.

Any explanation for the one-fan vs the usual 2-fans (is that "usual"?)?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on eurospares uk web site. Imput you car model and year and it will give you a complete set of drawings with parts list and pricing.

3. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    THanks - it shows ONE fan in the diagram, but still not certain because it also shows mounting brackets for 2 fans.
    WHat do you other Mondial owners have? One or two radiator fans?

thanks.

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #4 afterburner, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    #8 & #9 Market dependant - tropical versions had 2 fans. Mine has 2, and with 1 out (happened a few years ago), it did seriously struggle keeping things cool unless I kept moving. My advice to all would simply be - fit a second one and the car will never overheat.

davem and stasha like this.
  5. Olivor

Olivor Rookie

Jan 29, 2015
    Hi, I have a 84 QV and there is only one radiator fan on mine

6. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Thanks for the diagrams, Afterburner.
    O: GTK that one fan is not abnormal.
    I'm in Houston area, and although it is not hot anymore, just a mere 2 weeks ago, it was over 100deg F every day. I think I'll add an extra fan in the near future.

afterburner likes this.
  7. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    My '85 QV Cab only had a single fan originally, but the PO had a second factory fan installed. The little mounting tabs were welded (I believe anyway) to the radiator shell. He had this done at a shop in Austin TX and the wiring harness looks factory. I believe the '86 Mondial with the 3.2 L engine had two fans from the factory. Also could have been a running change during the '85 model year. The car was designed to function with the single fan if all else is well. It is certainly not a bad idea to have the second fan installed however. The PO of this car had a lot of cooling issues at one point. Then I believe he found that the single fan was spinning in the opposite direction, and had that corrected. I have not had any cooling system issues even in traffic in hot weather with the AC on. They are a bit finicky as far as the coolant level in the overflow tank. If you add just a hair too much it will spit it out onto the ground. ;) Not really a problem though.

8. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Donkost...yes, i have already noticed how adding a slight amount of coolant to fill up the rad reservoir will result in it getting spit back out.

Im thinking of ways to mount a 2nd fan without pulling the rad to solder on mounting brackets. Thru the fins zip ties will certainly destroy the fins, as they are so closely spaced. Maybe there's an epoxy i can use for mounting tabs, but I'd think the extremes in temperatures would crack the attachment over time.

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The tabs on my rad broke off years ago and the original fans gave up as well. I bent 2 mountings out of stainless steel and welded 2 studs to it - to hang over the top of the rad and I fitted a (I think) Toyota Camry rad set with its original shroud... works perfectly. It just hangs there and sucks itself to the rad. It doesn't cover it entirely but temps are rock steady in any condition we have here in HK:

Here the drawing should it help anyone:

davem and stasha like this.
  10. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    AfterB - YAH! Way to go. Love it. Thanks.
    Love that Camry drop in with shroud. Fans should be more efficient also, I'd guess, due to being more recent.

By any chance, would you have more exact details on the Camry? E.g., is it really Camry, and year/engine size?
    I have spent HOURS in salvage yards looking for dual-fan/shrouds for other cars (most recent was for a 1968 Jag 420G, and I found a perfect fit for the radiator! But, damn, it took HOURS -- spread out over weeks of repeat visits, lifting hood after hood, measuring shroud sizes, etc.

Thanks.

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Steve - yes junk yard... so, no part number I am afraid. 10 years ago and second hand off a Toyota Corolla or Corona - 2 equally sized symmetrically placed fans. The Camry also has double fans, and 3-litre engines so that would work as well.

12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    That's probably working fine - the Mondial has quite a big rad compared to today's cars.

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    afterburner and stasha like this.
  14. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Very nice -- same principle: fab some hooks over the top. Great.
    I'm checking out the Toyota dual-fan with shroud assemblies (Internet gives dimensions!!!, Yay, Internet!) and will get back if something looks good.

15. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Just as follow up -- I checked out the dimensions of the Camry shroud/fan, and they seem too big. Must be another Toy model. Possibly an MR2? I'm going to start another thread looking for 2-fan alternative fan-shroud combos.

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Ah I am sorry so the information I was given wasn't correct.

17. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    AfterB - that shroud looks like it fits great on the radiator. I'm trying to find what it's from.

[​IMG]

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    It does, pressed sheet metal single piece. There is a Japanese warning label on it...

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #20 Steve Magnusson, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    This is a wild guess, but those fans and shrouds sure look similar to what was on a 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5L non-turbo that my wife had (and had a left and a right that fit together to form a single unit shroud) -- something like this:

(This picture is an aftermarket replacement -- IIRC, the stock ones looked even more like in the post #18 even down to the blue wire insulation color.)

afterburner likes this.
  20. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Yes looks similar but I think slightly too big. From internet search it the Outback measures 31+" x 14"+ -- and the core size of the Mondi rad is about 12.5" x 25.5". Without actually pulling a shroud/fan from a car and placing over the Mondi rad, it's tough to tell what/how it would fit.
    While it's good to pull up into the rad fins, it probably would be better if if went against the SIDES of the radiator rather than the fins to avoid fin distortion?
    BUT, maybe not. The mounts could keep it from fin contact.