84 QV Cab brakes- Anyone installed vacuum reservoir or vacuum pump/both? | FerrariChat

84 QV Cab brakes- Anyone installed vacuum reservoir or vacuum pump/both?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stasha, Sep 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    So, I had the engine quit suddenly while at highway speeds, and immediately lost power brakes. Pedal pressure required to manuever the car was a bit alarming. I'm not sure that my wife would have been able to press the brake pedal hard enough to stop the car quickly and safely enough.

Brakes tend not to be high on the priority list until you suddenly need them, and need them quickly (my focus tends to be on just getting the hundreds of nitpick items working on the car, including the fuse panel problems, AC, windows, switches, cooling system, on and on).

Has anyone tried installing a vacuum reservoir and/or electric vacuum pump in the braking system to at least retain some power assist after the engine quits?

When I converted by 66 Mustang to power brakes, I install an electric vacuum pump and reservoir because of the competition cam not allowing adequate vacuum to the booster -- and it worked instantaneously.

Any comments/suggestions?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    This should not happen. There is a check valve, item 30 here:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/Diagram/Ferrari/Mondial-QV-Coupe-Cabriolet/028-Brake-Hydraulic-System

that should "trap" enough vacuum inside the booster and line to work for a short while after the engine stops. You either have a bad check valve or a leak in the booster/line. The check valve is in the engine bay near the LH side of the intake plenum -- you should be able to blow thru it in one direction (towards the engine in the direction of the arrow) and not be able to blow thru it in the other direction (towards the booster).

afterburner and stasha like this.
  3. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Thank you!
    I will add it to the ever-growing to-do list.

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Is there something like this on the 3.2?

5. stasha

stasha Karting

Sep 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    steve steve
    Great info.

moysiuan likes this.