85 308 qv Gas leak Tank | FerrariChat

85 308 qv Gas leak Tank

Discussion in '308/328' started by Greek F1, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Greek F1

Greek F1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    George D
    Hello everyone, my first post as a 10 yr owner of an 85 308qv Texas car. I recently started to do an oil change preseason and as I jacked up the driver’s side and reached the level of a jack stand, gas began dripping from the opposite side tank.
    The tanks are full as the car is in winter storage. Should I be investigating tank integrity or could this be a hose/clamp issue? Absolutely no issues at level. The thought of gas fumes is worrying though. All water and fuel hoses were replaced at a reputable shop shortly after purchasing the car.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    If the tank(s) is full, when you raised one side, it could simply be that gas is coming out of one of the various hose fittings at the top of the other tank and leaking due to a cracked hose/loose clamp or - hopefully not - a cracked or pinholed fitting.

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  3. Greek F1

Greek F1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    George D
    I’m hoping someone will tell me that I simply triggered some overflow protection by sending all the fuel to one side!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't think you tilted the car that far. ;)

5. Greek F1

Greek F1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    George D
    Thank you for the response, so I’m guessing the easiest way to get a look is to remove the inner fender shroud from that side?

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Nowadays a fuel system is not supposed to leak even if the car is upside down. Not sure that was in effect in '85 though...

"so I’m guessing the easiest way to get a look is to remove the inner fender shroud from that side?"

Yep, remove the right side inner fender and take a look at the top of the tank.

7. Greek F1

Greek F1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    George D
    Ok thanks I will get on that...

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Not 100% positive, but 97.75% believe you are correct.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    On a 85 QV, the fuel system is air tight.

10. Greek F1

Greek F1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    George D
  11. Glenn308QVturbo

Sep 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Glenn Orell
    I would start by inspecting the hoses. Do you know if they replaced the hoses with ethanol resistant hose? I had an issue with a car I replaced the fuel lines on and the ethanol fuel ate up the new hose in just a couple of years. Next check the tank looking for staining around the seams and fittings. My 83 308 QV started leaking in the sump on the left tank a couple of years ago. Turned out the weld was bad from the factory and I can only assume the OEM coating they put on the tank kept it from leaking all these years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Greek F1

Greek F1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    George D
    I can’t be sure although this is the Go to shop for many in the Ferrari club here and have to guess they know their stuff. Because the leak is due to a substantial overfill to the right tank it must be finding a way out from the hoses going to the vapour trap above the tank, which are cloth braided with new clamps. I also tend to use ethanol free grade gas. The tank looks solid with no staining and it has been sitting all winter completely full with no leak whatsoever. Unless I plan some two wheel stunt driving it won’t leak as it stands. I am concerned about the level of escaping vapour but have never smelled anything so maybe it’s contained for the moment. I will probably jack up the left side as before and see where it’s leaking just to be safe.