'85 308 steering rack play | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'85 308 steering rack play

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Jul 31, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley

Larry Stock sells the bronze bushing kits and the seals. He's in Reno.
    PH: 775-856-7011

There is also Hall Pantera
    Telephone: (562)5312629

The Byers Brothers sell the OEM TRW boots:
    (562) 691-2526

2. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    If anybody has one of these off the car, can you post up any information that is on the rack.
    I have just looked at the TRW site and need some part numbers to get things started. I am thinking cross referencing to another vehicle.
    I would love to find an alternative to paying "F" prices.

3. Tifosi1

Tifosi1 Formula 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Pearl River, LA
    Full Name:
    Kelly J. Vince
    I recommend these guys. They did my rack on time and for the price they quoted.

http://www.atlantic-ent.com/

I believe it was $171.00

It's been a couple of years, but I had the same probelm, passenger side bushing was gone in the rack.

Kelly

4. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley

The part numbers on the rack represent the casting numbers for the two aluminum ends of the rack - 21461, 21465. Those being press fit onto a steel tube.
    A short list of other cars using this rack:

Detomaso Pantera
    Mercury Capri
    Mini Cooper (so I'm told)
    Vauxhall (as told, no model mentioned)

5. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I can't see how you could replace the bush in the car.

You need to drill out 3 rivets and then of course replace them. They also need to have sealer and therefore be very clean.

6. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    #32 ramosel, Oct 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley

Maybe we are not talking about the same rack... but there were no rivets in my rack. A single screw holds the old steel sleeved plastic bushing in place. When you do it in the car you leave that bushing in place and run the bronze one down next to it. Yes you have to drill and tap the housing for a set-screw to hold the bushing in the car. But it can be done.

I do recommend pulling the rack so you can replace and reseal the pinion housing.

Can you show me (somehow) the rivets you speak of? I have not encountered any.

Rick

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Gators? Do they taste like chicken?

Around here, we cover suspension parts with "gaiters".

--Matt

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    This is great info guys. I'm probably going to do mine this winter as I have some play in it already. Looks like Atlantic is the way to go.

10. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Ok I see what you mean now, yes I suppose you can just ram an extra bush inside and leave the old one in there, a bit rough though.....but on a car I did last month the old bush was so badly broken up and the pieces are so hard I would never take the chance of bits finding their way into the rack gears.....could lock the steering.

The 3 rivets hold the passenger side end cap of the rack on, which must be removed to get the old bush out.

11. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley

Good point. If the OEM plastic bushing is busted into pieces you HAVE to get them out, which means taking the whole thing apart. If the bushing has just been hammered and is sloppy, you can leave it in.

Dang, I have never seen an end cap on these racks and never seen any rivits. you're not speaking of the rubber boot/bellows/gaitor are you?

Picture?

Feel Free to look at mine and comment on where this cap would be:
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/album?.dir=c683&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/my_photos

Rick

12. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Had a look at your excellent photo's, and they show a slightly different rack to most that I've seen. I've only ever dealt with RH drive cars in this area so I guess there's some differences.

The rivets hold the whole end cap on, which is after the grub screw and bush. Tye cap has a hole in it that is smaller than the bush OD, hence the need for removal. On your rack it's quite different.

No pictures sorry. Car is fixed and on the road.

13. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    As I stated many times before there are a few of us that sent our racks out to Atlantic Ent. and when they came back to us, the racks weren't right. (check the archives) After many returns to have my rack repaired it still wasn't right. IMO buyer beware. The price may sound cheap but if the rack isn't correct what is the point. Plus, he informed me that he didn't want business from any of my Ferrari friends anymore. Does this sound like a company you want to trust your rack to?

14. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I queried the use of a mini rack on a previous thread but if Phil (ferrarifixer) says it's so, then so be it. I have a pal who deals in mini parts, I shall get a rack from him and work out whats needed to make it fit.
    By the way, on the Mondial at the end of the steering column is a UJ, has anyone sourced these ? Mine has an increasing amount of play in it.