86 Testarossa AC Issue | FerrariChat

86 Testarossa AC Issue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Guss23, Jul 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    While my engine was out for service I decided to update the AC system. I flushed out the compressor and lines and replaced the switch and dryer. I replaced all of the o-rings and vac checked it and it was perfect. I charged it with 134 and it now blows cold right after I start the engine and while I am at driving RPMs but when I am at idle it blows HOT air. Any ideas on why??

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    it blows really hot or only outside temperature?
    may be less 134 input when only outside temperature?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Have you confirmed that the AC Condensor Fan is running at idle? Just stick your hand in front of the LH front wheel to confirm/deny if airflow from the AC Condensor Fan is there as it should be at idle on a warm/hot day with the AC on.

4. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    Ok, I’ll see if the fan operates.

5. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    The fan does operate

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's unfortunate -- does it feel like a lot of heat is in that airflow at idle (it should)? One other easy thing to do is have a look at the sight glass on the Dryer at idle with the AC "on" to confirm/deny if refrigerant is flowing.

7. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    Ok. Do you know roughly how many ounces of refridgorent it takes?

8. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    The air in the front left filter feels like outside air temp. I will check the drier

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    turbo-joe likes this.
  10. bpcurtis

bpcurtis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Dickinson, TX
    Full Name:
    Burnell P Curtis
    Above the passengers feet is the hot water valve. Check to see if it is open or closed by feeling the output pipe.

11. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    Which one is the output pipe?

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You don't have to be fussy about that -- if hot water is (wrongly) flowing at idle with the AC "on" thru the hot water valve, both hoses of the hot water valve will be equally hot.

There is no engine RPM/chassis speed signal used by the TR HVAC system -- to be an "electrical thing", the only thing I can think of that it might be is, if your alternator is not working and the AC system is "on", the battery voltage might droop down to ~11V and that might make the AC ECU unhappy (but I don't know that that would make it unhappy for sure). Have you measured the voltage between the two battery terminal at idle, AC "on", when you are having the problem?

13. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    I will, what should voltage be at? 13.6volts?

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That would be a typical good value for an alternator (and a battery that has been recently discharged a bit from starting), but I wouldn't be too concerned if it was just 13V, or even the high 12s, at idle for this possible issue (of not having enough voltage to run the HVAC ECU) -- being well below 12V (at idle when the HVAC blower is running) would be a concern. Did you ever have a look at the sight glass when having the problem to confirm/deny refrigerant flow?

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The hot water valve defaults to open, I believe that when it is grounded it closes.

16. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    I looked in the site glass and couldn’t distinguish anything. And I have an automotive HVAC expert coming out to help me on Sunday. He thinks that my mechanic didn’t properly flush out the system prior to using 134. He and I are going to flush the system out and start over. In the meantime, is there anyway to check the hot water valve To see if that’s the culprit?

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Feeling the temperature of the hoses at the hot water valve is a good way to check its functionality/state -- hot = open; room temp = closed. Since you report that the system seems to work OK when at speed that would indicate to me that the hot water valve itself can work properly so the issue becomes is something wrongly telling it to open at idle. The way the hot water valve works electrically is:

1. The M (brown) wire should always be +12V when the key is "on".

2. When the STOP pushbutton is pressed, a relay connects the MB (brown-white) wire always to ground = energizes the hot water valve coil which holds the actual water valve inside always closed.

3. When any other of the pushbuttons is pressed, the HVAC ECU decides (based on the requested temp knob and sensor inputs) whether to put ground on the MB wire = energizes the hot water valve holding it closed, or nothing on the MB wire = hot water valve open, but it does this in a PWM (quickly on-off-on-off-etc.) way for when it wants to have less than full hot water flow.

At idle, with the AC "on", a warm cabin, and the knob set to request maximum cooling, the voltage between the M wire and the MB wire of the hot water valve should be a constant +12V (i.e., the HVAC ECU should be trying to close the hot water valve).

18. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    Looks like the power and ground to the valve is correct but it is not closing. I clamped off one hoses in the AC was ice cold at idle. Any suggestions As to whether they’re overhaul-able or where I can get a replacement?

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, they are rebuildable, but it's also important that the coolant flow is in the right direction (matching the arrow on the valve body) -- any chance you got those hoses reversed?

My notes have the rebuild kit as:

Bosch 1147213007
    BMW 64118390132
    MB 0008350644

This valve is known as the "Bosch Mono Valve".

20. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    Seriously doubt that the hoses have ever been off.

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    And you did no fiddling/repair with the heater hoses in the engine bay "While my engine was out for service"?

22. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    #22 Supernaut, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    I've never heard of a compressor being flushed, only lines and evaporator/condensor. How does one get all the old incompatible oil out of there? Not a simple geometry to flush completely. Just curious what has been successfully done previously for R12/134a conversions with respect to the compressor. I suppose you could disassemble it and clean it out at the part level.

23. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    Unbelievable!! I replaced the diaphragm and it worked perfectly for a week. Went to use it today and it only works now when the engine is at idle but not when I’m at any RPM! The opposite of what it did before!! WTF??