87 328--need advice on hard start issue-redux! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

87 328--need advice on hard start issue-redux!

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, May 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #101 greg328, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    Well, through some sort of miracle, I've managed to access the TDC sensor at the 10 o'clock position at the flywheel. I had to remove the forward dizzy and oil separator tube, along with the coil assembly. Ridiculous. I'm replacing both flywheel sensors in hopes of solving my hard-cold start problem. I already changed the easy-access 3 o'clock RPM sensor.

I've gotten both tiny 8mm nuts off of the sensor. This was no small feat; it's a very blind, tight-access area. I was thrilled to finally have reached this point but, alas, the thing won't budge. It ain't comin' out! I put an angled mirror on it to have a look and I see no more bolts holding it. What gives? The other one slid right out. Might it be bonded to the flywheel housing through years of heat-cycling? Would it be OK to spray a bit of WD40 to loosen things up? Or am I missing some other fastener? I don't see how. These sensors only have two nuts holding the mount bracket.

Help please? I'm at a standstill.

Thanks,
    Greg
    87 328

2. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    No worries, a bit of WD40 on top of that stuck TDC sensor, and about 15 minutes later I managed to wiggle it up and out.

This may be premature, but--after I installed the TDC sensor, and put everything back, (coils, forward dizzy, oil separator, reconnected bulkhead connectors, for those keeping score!), the car started right up without much fanfare!

I'm going to wait an hour, and try again. Hopefully, my hard cold-start mystery may have been solved, a bad TDC sensor, which is a BEYOTCH to replace.

Word to the wise: the Superformance UK flywheel sensors need a bit of machining to fit. the rpm sensor just needs the holes closed in a bit, but the TDC sensor not only needs that done, but also needs the mount flange ends to be machined in a bit as well. the opening on the flywheel case is a tight recessed fit for that one!

I'll report back..
    Greg

3. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Great news

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    OK, I tried again after a couple hours rest, and the car started immediately. It also seems to run smoother. Even my wife commented that it sounded smoother.

So, the TDC sensor was the cause. I must admit, I had my doubts, but the faithful here had it right, a failing flywheel sensor can cause this. The car can still run, but will be hard to start! I replaced the RPM sensor as well. I highly recommend this for these old cars; refreshing the sensors just makes sense on these cars nearing 30 years on.

Hallelujah! Now on to my oil leak.. :-(

Greg

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Love it when a plan comes together! Well done!

Likely shorted turn in the sensor coil.....

6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Andy,
    Quite possibly. It looked perfectly fine, but, we can't judge based on looks. I do remember getting strange readings on that sensor when testing the Microplex...

Glad I was able to sort my issue, and hopefully help others on here. After all, that's what it's all about, right? !!

Thread/ !!

Greg
    87 328 GTB

7. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

An old thread but I am having the same starting issue on my 308 GTB QV, so I hope it is these sensors.
    I bought 3 new sensors (SEN8D), but need to change the connectors as the new ones have the new type of connector that my wiring loom does not have.

But first I need to get the front sensor out. I removed the two 8mm nuts already, but it will not budge. I sprayed wd40 on it, but still nothing.
    I will try again tonight.
    The other one was very easy. The one below will also be easier I hope. :)