87 TR Battery Cable routing | FerrariChat

87 TR Battery Cable routing

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Jeff Pintler, Apr 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    Gentlemen: Does anyone have a photo of the battery cable terminal block mounted on the left cam belt cover?
    I am sick and tired of threading the full cable up the front of the motor behind the alt. belt and across the top of the motor of course under all the fuel inj. stuff. My car is a 86 and I think they changed for the 87 or even for the 512TR. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 S-160 Bobcat
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    The 512 was not a better system. Every time I work on a 512 I wish it was done like the TR.

When is it you need to route the cable? In all the years of owning one and working on them since new the only time I have needed to remove that cable was to split the cases and remove the crank. There should be a quick disconnect down by the air injection check valve.

The only reason they changed was the motor came out the top so it made sense to put the connector on the motor instead of the frame.
    What is inconvenient about the TR connector?

Attached Files:

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #3 vincenzo, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Your car is missing the frame mounted connector. You can see the mounting plate on your frame. Perhaps the cable was replaced with an aftermarket version. You can see it in Rifledriver’s second photo and here as well. The connector is available inexpensively from the aftermarket.... do a search here on F-Chat.

As Rifledriver said - the 512 is different.

Also enclosed is a parts diagram which shows the upper throttle cable guide mounted on the lower stud. In the position shown in your pic, it causes the cable to bend a bit more tightly around the belt cover. May(?) not be desirable.