88 1/2 start serial # | Page 2 | FerrariChat

88 1/2 start serial #

Discussion in '308/328' started by tahoecharlie, Jun 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The frame stamping picture looks like it was taken in the 19th century. Something better we can actually read?

And the lower picture has decidedly different rivets than Bertrands picture taken 4 years ago. It has been removed and reinstalled between photos.

Sorry for all the doubt but have seen too many doctored VIN's.

2. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    No worries! If I were considering this car for purchase I'd like to have those answers.

In fact, the signature abrasions and irregular flat-spotting from the rivet pull tool are identical in both images. The lighting/lighting angle is slightly different from Betrand's image, but one can see even the same distance back from the flat spot of the rivet head to the separation point of the mandrel. There are even small spots adjacent to the plate that are the same. The plate has not been removed and replaced - at least since Bertand's shot - according to the photographic evidence.

Please do not suspect I have altered these images other than to add the spotting arrows; I have not.

Not sure what problems may manifest with different monitors, viewing on a phone, etc., but the number in the engine-bay frame image is perfectly readable on my laptop.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Compare the picture in post 10 to the picture in post 25. Differences easily seen. Sorry but you created a great deal of doubt by doctoring a photograph.

4. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
    #29 troyce, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Sorry for the doubt, but the rivets are exactly the same as in Betrand's post 10 image. The only doctoring to the most recent images - images I shot just today - is to point out that the rivets are exactly the same. Post 25 image does not depict the rivets any where near clearly. That is easily seen.

Again, I doctored the original VIN image for my own use and then made the mistake of posting it here all those months ago before I'd come to realize what I'd done months earlier than that. It's legit, period.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    OK

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil