91 Testarossa turns over but won't start | Page 2 | FerrariChat

91 Testarossa turns over but won't start

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Shamile, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wpdent

wpdent Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hello Shamile:

The supplier I used for the Bosch relay was www.importech.com as recommended by 91tr. They are great. Good prices, reliable shipping.

Patrick

2. wpdent

wpdent Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hey Shamile:

To answer the other question, just follow the links 91tr is recommending. Those links and the ones found in my posts "85 TR Starting Problem" should cover most of the possible starting issues if they are electrical.

Good luck,

Patrick

3. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Its not as common a problem in the 512TR, Ive never seen it.

4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I'll say it again...all you guys are grrreat !( think Tony the Tiger )

I will try the different suggestions you mentioned. Steve (91TR ), I've been reading that tread you recommended. I've been reading it a few times to sort of take it all in. ( What's worse than a TR electrical system, try a Porsche 928 S4....that was fun....no it wasn't)

I will defineately let ya'll know what transpires.

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

For sure I thought it was the tachometric relay. Well, I bought a new one ($80) before I was able to get a responce on how to jump the connector. Well, it didn't work. So now, its swap the coil then the protection relay. I'll keep ya'll posted.

6. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    Put a voltmeter (multimeter) on the positive terminal of the coil and check that you're getting 11 volts plus. I had this problem and it was the ignition switch ( I only had 9 volts). The live feed to the coil comes directly from the ignition switch. I used contact cleaner on the back of the switch and it solved the problem (brought the volts back to 11 plus)...Patrick.

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Wow, what a weekend of testing. Well, here's what I found. As before I tried the tachometric relay to no avail. I then proceeded to the coil swap. I removed the coil shields and unpluged the connectors then thought " wait, better establish a baseline". So, I Plugged them back in. Guess what...the car started. Yep, just like Steve Magnesson said," Reseat all the coil connectors". So I pulled everything and cleaned all the connectors...it all seems to work.

Thoughts....

Since the previous owner lived on Fort Myers Beach and basically drove the car to the marina to use his yacht, the salt air probably created a rapid oxidation problem. ( Even the horn button wouldn't work without cleaning) My 308 didn't have this problem as it came from an inland location.

My great thanks to all who helped me out. I couldn't have done it without all your help. Wpdent, 91TR...Special thanks. :)

8. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I said coil twice. Too bad you spent $80 on a relay.

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Sounds like the fuel pump, same thing happened to my Chevy Tahoe