944 Turbos | FerrariChat

944 Turbos

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 4re308, May 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hey everyone, just curious how many of you guys know about the abilities of the 944 Turbo? I just bought my 6th 944 Turbo last December and it is in the midst of a ground up restoration. The car just got painted and now we are restoring the wheels and interior. It is a very interesting car in that all the owners are PCA members and the first three owners were past PCA presidents. What makes the car so cool is the rare color combination and the incredible factory options including factory Turbo Cup suspension, experimental Turbo Cup turbocharger, updated racing Quaife LSD, Alpine White paint and Can Can interior with black carpets and Red Sport Seats, factory color matching staggered 16 inch Fuchs and more. Here are a few pics of it since it was painted last week in Alpharetta, GA. Have you guys had some fun 944 Turbo experiences?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Eric308gtsiqv likes this.
  2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It’s great to see 944s getting restored. I was in high school when the 944 replaced the 924, and they were my favorite non-Ferrari. Never drove a Turbo but I remember seemingly every tire test in Road & Track used 944s as the best handling car on the market. Now I never see them. The base 944 was something like 9 sec 0-60, but the Turbo was actually fast for its day.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4re308 likes this.
  3. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Its about time these little gems started getting the respect they deserve. The non Turbos are so much fun to drive! They are all built well and drive great. The Turbos are really a blast to drive. They were about as fast as the 930s of the same time period. Nothing like the old school turbo lag then BAM!!

Here are a few pics of my old 944s. The black one was an amazing 944 Turbo S with 390HP. The blue one was a normally aspirated Copernhagen Blue coupe and the gray one was a gorgeous Stone Gray Metallic over burgundy Sport seats. I regretted selling each one, but now I have the white one that I plan on keeping for a while!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

zygomatic likes this.
  4. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I've had three and my dad actually bought one new in Reno for my brother in 1986. But my brother did something and my dad didn't give him the car. My dads DD at the time was a 928S. The turbo was close in performance. I was 14 and sat in the turbo in the garage. Wanted it for myself. I almost bought a 1986 cup car in 1998, but didn't want to spend $30k, when low kilometer regular turbo sold for $15k here at the time. Drove the cup car a few times. Would like one and could probably build one into cup specs.

4re308 likes this.
  5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Wow that is awesome! I have always wanted a 928 or any year. I've driven a few but have always come back to the Turbos. I do love the punch of a V8, I have a Mercedes E55 that fills the void. I'd buy a 928 if I found one I liked!

6. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    My brother loves 928's, he's had a few. My dad had three, 85, 87, 90. I like 944's more and 911's. But wouldn't mind an 1986.5 928S 5spd. I like the looks over the S4 and you get some upgrades in the S that year. More HP and bigger brakes. Its an S4 in a S body. The GTS have become too pricey here or Id consider one as well.

4re308 likes this.
  7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I do love my 928. I was at a local track the other day, and rented a 944 that they have there with a cage and a race seat (but otherwise stock). It was a lot of fun! I was a bit surprised by the power oversteer that it had, but at least didn't spin like one of my friends.

4re308 likes this.
  8. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Wow Mitch, that is a great car. You must know Elliot that lives in Blairsville Ga. He seems to be the king of all things 944. He has about 24 of them. Great place to get parts. You should come to the Porsche meet in Helen Ga this friday at the Jumping Goat. Seems to be a massive VW based meet up from Wed. to Sunday. I may try to hit the Friday meet up and then go see the show on Saturday. I have not seen you in a while Mitch. Swing by Hiawassee. John

4re308 likes this.
  9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have to admit, I do kind of want a 924S-- 924 body with 944 mechanicals. However, I don't have the garage space at the moment, and I like all of my current fleet too much to sell anything.

4re308 and Bullfighter like this.
  10. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's hard not to like a good 944. I'm a fan of the S2s as drivers (the 3.0L torque helps), but Turbos can be properly quick. The hardest thing these days is to find a good, unmolested 944. Turbos, especially, tend to have seen lots of mods

4re308 likes this.
  11. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    I’ve had three 944 Turbo’s, all 1986 models. One of my favorite cars of all time. My parents had an 86 non turbo in 86. Slow then and slow today, but such an awesome car.

My last 944 was graphite metallic, heated sport seats without the sunroof and only 39,000 miles. Should have kept it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4re308 likes this.
  12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That was ‘87, IIRC. Vastly better than the initial version.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I had great fun with the 944 Turbos. Spent 2 weeks in Zuffenhausen and Weissach learning all about them, prior to doing the US intro. I had 2 different ones as my 'company car', neither lasted 2 weeks before a dealer got dibs. Delivered 2 to our ad agency guys in LA. Put plenty of fun miles on various PR cars between Reno/LAX/SFO.

Best story: after serious warnings from my boss on the flight over, about the dangers of black ice on autobahns, next day as he is driving us to the Delivery Center in Zuff' he loses it on ice on the exit and trashes the wheels and spoiler on our fresh 944 turbo courtesy car.....he could hardly speak to me for days.......:D At least that ensured that I got plenty of lap time at Weissach, "to keep me safe".:p

4re308 likes this.
  14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My dad had a 1987 944 (base model). Learned to drive stick on it. I loved that car. Always wanted a Turbo or S2. Some day...

4re308 likes this.
  15. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to post a quick peek at the factory 944 Turbo Can-Can Red Sport Seats I had redone by Tim's Auto Upholstery in Duluth, GA. He did an amazing job!! What do you guys think? Tim also did my 308 GTS QV seats and they still look perfect after 15 years!! If anyone needs some seriously fantastic interior work done, please call Tim DiPasquale @ 770-418-1336. He really is the best I've ever seen. If you look closely, you can see our 308 GTS QV and our E55 AMG in the garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

davem and Texas Forever like this.
  16. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    When I lived in Toronto. I liked 944's for winter beaters. The heaters in them warmed up fast even in the dead of Toronto's cold winters. Second choice for winter beater was VW Corrado's VR6's. Front wheel drive, so it was great in snow. Few years ago, maybe seven I did have an 87 944S for a few months. Had my dads Mercedes 500S and traded it for the 944. Black on black. Fun car, but only drove it a few times before selling it.

4re308 likes this.
  17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What car are those in? If you permanently mounted them, that would be the coolest back seat ever!

4re308 likes this.
  18. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hiya these were sitting in the back of my BMW X5. They do look cool back there!

19. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi everyone we are getting close! Here is a shot of the car last week after we out the redone wheels and new tires on it. Next up is to reglue two of the rear interior panels so we can refit the rear windows. I just love how this car sits. How about you?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Eric308gtsiqv likes this.