95 B cats and y-pipe | Page 3 | FerrariChat

95 B cats and y-pipe

Discussion in '348/355' started by INTMD8, Feb 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^Yes, all correct. I was thinking it would be a bit louder with the bypass closed but not much difference vs the high flow cats.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I recall someone here briefly and oddly mentioning hollowed out stock cats have a different tone vs a simple strait pipe. It got me wondering for a bit. My car came with hollowed out stock cats. I still have the oem y-pipe. With the bypass wired open and capristo 3, I felt the car sounded insane. High pitch in all range all the time. Not sure if there's any validity to the hollowed cats claim.

3. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony

indeed there is a difference in sound between a hollowed cat and a straight pipe.. ive ran both setups..

hollowed cat sounds nice.. better then functioning cat.. but because of the oval shape, it acts like a resonator, disrupting the flow of exhaust from header outlet to exhaust inlet ( smaller diameter, to bigger, to small again).

in my case.. at idle, little to no difference between empty cat and straight pipe. but at full throttle, sound difference was is very noticeable. crisp, more clean pitched sound..

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    What size tube 2.5?

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    It's 2.25 at the inlet (to slip over 2.125 header outlet).

Steps down to 2.125 at the outlet to accept v-band flanges for the muffler.

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Interesting! Thanks for the feedback. Just to be clear, are you saying you prefer the sound of a hollowed out cat vs. a straight pipe?

7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I swapped my Tubi straight pipes for the OEM catalyst - they soon broke down and I punched them out. There is indeed a difference in sound between a test pipe and a hollowed out cat. The straight pipe is more crisp and raspy sounding. The hollowed out cats have a different sound and I think I would prefer the sound of cats on the car TBH. I didn't like having a decatted Y pipe for the same reason. It's more crisp but loses something.

8. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    sorry..

ive ran stock cats, hollowed hyperflow cats and test pipes..

I prefer the test pipe setup for sure..

only thing I haven't tested is a ypipe

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Ok. So I guess we're in agreement hollow cats = not good. Test Pipes = better.

I've got hollowed cats on the car and a pair of straight pipes in storage. Just wondering which one I should be using when the time comes.

10. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    well if you have a set of test pipes handy already, I'd throw those on for sure.

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    348, I run 2.5 ID tubes with 2.5 ID cats and flows better then hallowed out stock cats. Better mid and high rpm

Never dyno'd with test pipes