959 sighting? | FerrariChat

959 sighting?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by bounty, Oct 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Saw a silver 959 tonight on in Roscoe Village. Wish I had taken a picture, but I didn't have my phone on me. What were the chances this was the real deal? Are there many replicas out there?

2. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #2 Heat Seeker WS6, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    Unfortunately, slim to none it was real. I'm almost positive none of them were certified for street use in the States. Then again, you may have witnessed an 'airing out of the pipes' of the contra banned supercar for some special occasion? I saw one in a museum in San Diego back in '94.

3. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Canapa Designs federalized many 959s. There are many that are street legal.

4. jomoyer

jomoyer Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Josh M.
    I've seen it around as well, you weren't seeing things. Sounded pretty nice too!

5. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    I spotted the car last Friday night at Chicago & Orleans. I posted in the spotters section and was surprised no one said anything!

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #6 tifosi12, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They are rare. The only one I ever saw was in the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen:

Hell of a car and Ferrari was lucky that the FISA cancelled the Group B rallying. The 288 GTO would have been eaten alive by this techno uebergadget.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    #7 spike308, Oct 22, 2009
    Monterey Historics 2008 (two of them!)

I've seen several over the years.
    Forever ago (maybe 1987), there was a real one at the Porsche place in Highland Park (red).
    Saw one for sale in Hollywood maybe 2002

If I recall, I believe Bill Gates got Bill Clinton to pass a special "rich guys can register his expensive car" bill (Bill got Bill to pass a bill). Now they are street legal.

8. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    They are now street legal under the Gates display and drive law. If I recall correctly, it basically says you can drive a car if it is X years old and is of some historical significance. There is a yearly mileage limit. Since the national Porsche parade is to be at Pheasant Run in St. Charles next year, perhaps some will turn up.

9. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Wow! How cool! Any more info on this?

10. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael

Here 'ya go sleuth.

http://parade2010.pca.org//

I am pretty heavy involved. If the time comes & I can help you get connected I most certainly will do so.

11. jeremycliff

jeremycliff Karting

Sep 29, 2008
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cliff
    pretty sure there is a white one (or was a white one) at autowerks. saw a pic of it on rons FB i think. maybe....maybe not...lol

12. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    #12 Carsleuth, Oct 25, 2009
    Jeremy, that's definitely not a 959. I think it's a Porsche 930 Slant Nose, but I'm not 100% sure. I attached the pic below, so you Porsche experts can tell us what it is. :p

Thank you very much Michael! I'll definitely take you up on that, looks like a great event!

13. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    #13 Carsleuth, Oct 25, 2009
    There are quite a few replicas running around. I saw this one a year ago. This is a really good one, and the fact that I saw it at Porsche of Westmont made me think it was the real deal. But upon close inspection of the mirrors, fenders, slats, rims, bumpers ect., it's not.

14. true

true Karting

Jun 5, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I know Michael Jordan has/had a silver 959 in the area -- could have very well been his car.

15. blabardi

blabardi Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Downers Grove, IL
    That is indeed a 930 (Turbo) Slantnose not a 959.

16. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Well crud! I leave the area after YEARS of seeing the Vettes swarming the place each season for their Bloomington Gold thing & NOW they bring in the Porsches...

p.s.: Have seen maybe 1/2 dozen 959s in the flesh over the years - including the original Gruppe B prototype that was displayed in a somewhat out of the way spot at the Chicago auto show back in (1983?). Right up there on my favorite vehicles list.

17. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    It starts on a Saturday and ends on a Thursday?

18. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Bill Clinton did sign the bill with the revised regulations published in the Federal Regestry in 1999, but it was written by Rep. Billy Tauzin, the then-chair of the Subcommittee on Telecommunication, Trade and Consumer Protection and pushed through the Senate by Sen. Bill Nighthorse Campbell. That Bill Gates had anything to do with it is a myth. A guy named Gary Bartlett was the real force behind it in order to import an XJ220 for himself. This was one of the first pieces of legislation that I was trusted to work on as a young Capitol Hill staffer.

19. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Age means litle on this one, cars imported under Show or Display Regulations are limited to 2500 miles a year.

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While I do like well made replicas, I don't quite see the point in this: A 959 is such an ueber Porsche, that any P car underneath simply disappoints.

Haley & Chelle's 250 GTO-R by now probably outruns the original, so its looks don't sell the performance short. But a 911 with a 959 body can only disappoint.

It's a bit like slamming a GTO body on a 308 without any engine upgrades. :)

21. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The Canapa Designs 959's are no longer a truly authentic 959 under the skin either. The adjustable suspension is removed, and the twin sequential turbos are changed out with a much more powerful non-sequential system. So most 959's legally on US Streets, is a cooler experiance than original, but it is not the same underneath.

22. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    #22 spike308, Nov 30, 2009
  23. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #23 Cobraownr, Dec 1, 2009
    Good observation about Canepa's 959s. Some of his mods were done to get the 959 into compliance with U.S. EPA emissions regs, as the "Show and Display" law allowed some cars to be exempted from U.S. DOT safety regs, but not EPA emissions. Other mods by Canepa were his interpretations of improving on Porsche's original design, and/or mitigating some design flaws or maintenance issues that Porsche likely would have corrected had they continued to produce the car. I have spoken to a number of people who have owned or driven 959s with Canepa mods. Some like 'em, some don't.

Fortunately, thanks to the passage of time, most 959s can be brought into the U.S. today without any mods at all, as once a car becomes 21 years old, it is exempted from EPA emissions regs. This one (below) is waiting for me to arrange transport to the U.S. It will be one of the very few 959s in the country still in (mostly) original spec, just as Gott und Dr. Helmuth Bott intended. It has been upgraded at Porsche Stuttgart to Stage 2 specs, with smaller (faster spool up) turbos and some other nice touches. A quarter century after the initial design work on the 959, many of its features can be found on some current Porsche models that can also give the 959 a good run in performance too. For me, though, the 959 is still "The Icon". It was the engineering tour de force flagship of a company noted for decades for its superlative engineering.

24. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #24 badges2, Dec 3, 2009
    I posted a couple of these on here a long time ago. These are from 1988 when a buddy of mine called me up and asked if I wanted to see a weird Porsche. He worked at an import/export place and said the car was in the Luftansa warehouse at O'Hare Airport. Being 19 years old, what else would I want to do. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this 959 sitting up on a pallet! This was the like seeing an escaped convict back in those days!!

25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Excellent. I love pics like those. makes you wonder where the car is now.