A Better Battery for 599 | FerrariChat

A Better Battery for 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by George Vosburgh, May 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have an Interstate battery that is less than a year old. The car is constantly on the charge when not in use and I drive the car regularly. The battery has gone flat on me twice. What is the solution to the battery dilemma? Are there any electronics that can be turned off in the car to make less drain on the battery? Is there a better battery out there??

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- Sounds like you have an electrical leak. Should be 40 ma or less leakage. Have your tech check and see if there is one. While he is at it, check and make sure the ground cable and battery cables/clamps are secure.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Taz is probably right from what you describe. I often let my car sit up to a week without a charger and have no ill effects. Oddly, I recently parked my car for 2 days and the battery was flat. I recharged the battery and it is holding for a week now just like before. I must conclude that I left on a light somewhere, didn't close the drivers door fully so the F1 pump ran occasionally, or some such thing. I guess my point is that there are some other possible causes but you will have to look into it.

4. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Great, thank you Terry. I very much appreciate your knowledge!

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Also, you’ll kill a battery by keeping it on charge all the time- will dry it out. That is unless you’re using a “smart” charger that cuts in and out as needed.

6. F3RN4ND0

F3RN4ND0 Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    F3RN
    I discovered my passenger courtesy light switch was faulty and remained ON all the time.
    Check that too.

7. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

I thought the Cytek was a smart charger, is it not? I'll try taking it off for a while.

8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    It is. No issue with leaving it connected...

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thanks Fernando. I will check that out.

10. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    I have also just put a new battery in. I went for the Bosch S5 A13 given the advice of 360Marnix. Interestingly while sitting there running the car, I noticed the heated seat getting warm! However, the switch was definitely in the “0” position and I even turned it on and then switched it back to “0” again. Not sure what that issue might be but hopefully when the ignition is off the seat isn’t powered and therefore isn’t draining the battery.... it does mean a hot backside until the issue is fixed though!

11. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Thank you!