a little bit of dust/dirt, wipe off or wash? | FerrariChat

a little bit of dust/dirt, wipe off or wash?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Purch23, Aug 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I spent time cleaning and polishing my paint yesterday (F11 polisher), F430 rosso corsa, then drove to a friend's house with a non-paved long driveway. I can see a very fine dusting of a fine powdery sand / dust on the rear end of the car. Can I just wipe that off with a micro fiber cloth, obviously don't want to damage to the paint. I just polished it though and don't want to spend another hour plus cleaning/polishing again. Usually I leave it until the next cleaning but now its not shining brilliantly anymore. I blew it with my leaf blower and looks a little better.

What if I wipe the car down lightly at first, then get a clean cloth and buff it out a bit?

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I live 100 yards down a dirt road before I get to my driveway and garage. I use Griots, Best of Show Detailer spray. It works great for what you’re concerned about.

About 5-6 sprays on the dusty part of the car, then wipe off with a MF towel.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Oengus and Purch23 like this.
  3. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Never touch the paint with a dry towel. That's the surest way to put fine scratches in it. You could use a quick detail spray or just rinse it off with water and pat dry with a MF towel.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Purch23, jc1 and Challenge like this.
  4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Drive. Just drive.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Any of the Meguires or Mothers Quick Detailers or Waterless Wash & Wax products work great for this scenario - even on black paint as I can attest.

Spray generously - wipe with microfiber towel - flip towel - wipe gently until streaks (if any) are gone - do reasonably small sections at a time - done :)

Cheers :)

Purch23 likes this.
  6. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    I have used Meguiar’s Final inspection #34 with good success.

Any good detailing spray will act as a surfactant to lift and separate the light dust from the surface of the paint.

It also works well on fresh bugs after you have finished a highway drive.

020147 and Purch23 like this.
  7. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree with both of these posts. Never wipe down your dusty car with a dry cloth, you will simply be making sandpaper that could/will scratch your paint. Always generously spray down the paint (and the rag) first to lubricate the paint and encapsulate the dirt before lightly (no elbow grease needed) wiping with your microfiber towel.

Always use a high-quality wash product that provides great lubrication of the paint surface. I like the waterless wash products (such as Griot's Spray-On Car Wash, etc.) for this purpose as I think they offer superior paint protection compared to most so-called "quick detailers". Also, use a high-quality microfiber cloth that will not scratch the paint...I like Cobra 530 towels.

Purch23 and Rexcat458 like this.
  8. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I need to try the Griots- I know their products are generally amazing- :cool:

9. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I don't know how i survived 40 some odd years without griots speed shine. You can find it at most parts stores in small bottles to try out... but you'll want to get it in the gallon jugs to refill the store bottle.

And you can never have too many fresh clean microfiber cloths at the ready.

Purch23, Rexcat458 and Shorn355 like this.
  10. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    It’s all about risk. Every time you wipe dust or dirt off, you risk scratching. Even if you use a detail spray. Even if you wash, you risk scratching. You have to decide what is reasonable for you.

Solid State likes this.
  11. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Coming soon Tear Off PPF.

No washing, no polishing. Install, tear off as needed for an instant perfect finish.

12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    tell me more plz

13. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Ceramic coat pro plus. Never have to touch the surface. Spray off. Drive or use blower to dry. NOthing sticks. Never wax. Never touch the surface

JayG likes this.
  14. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Very "Nascar". :eek::D

15. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Yep. :)

16. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login I use a spray bottle of water and 10 micro fiber towels. Spray the panel down thoroughly and then clean the panel. For each wipe, only use a clean portion of the towel, this is why you need 10 towel. Folding the towel in half and then in half again will get 8 wipes per towel. I only wash my cars with soap once or twice a year. No swirls and the paint looks amazing.

raysur, 020147, MarkTodd and 3 others like this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The coatings touched the surfaces such that they are semi-permanent. Never been good with that concept.

18. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I prefer to wash

For some reason a lot of detail spray atrracts fine dust
    Definitely notice a difference in how long my car stays clean from washing instead of detail spray
    And my car has ceramic coating

c8spidey likes this.
  19. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric

That is a great looking Boxer!!!

With your technique, are you using a car wash solution in your water bottle? If not, may I recommend Optimum No Rinse Wash added to the water as this will help lubricate the surface of the paint (and help encapsulate the dirt), thus reducing scratching of the clear coat -- or, in your case, the actual painted surface of the car as there is no clear coat paint.

20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Thanks, I will give that a try!

DreamCarrera likes this.
  21. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    For mild dust, use a spray detailer liberally and wipe/polish with microfiber towel. If moderate dust hose the car off and use a detailer as above. Never use dry towel alone.

22. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
    3D out of Santa Clarita California makes a great product for washing the car without water. Waterless Car Wash (419) is specifically designed for this.

I would also recommend Final Touch (403) or Bead it up (440) (more of a wax/sealant, but my favorite).

Their products are amazing. And I love that they name the products based on the formula…just type the formula number in the search bar once you know your favorites and there you go .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. hotwheelsjack97

Feb 19, 2022
    Very late to the party but I'd definitely spray it first. Rubbing without it will create micro scratches in the finish you worked so hard to get.

24. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Both of my F cars are completely wrapped with PPF. One is Nero Daytona and the other is Grigio T . Never any issues with a California Feather Duster or micro rag. No swirls no issues wipe or wash , your choice.

Ngcanada and Oengus like this.
  25. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I now live on a private road that is not paved it can produce some fine dust which kicks up as I drive over it when I pull into the garage my nero F430 is covered with fine dust here is what I use:https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-11416-Microfiber-Duster/dp/B089N83KR7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3SZ5R3HWSDT19&keywords=griots+garage+duster&qid=1673024261&sprefix=griots+garage+duster%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-3
    after carefully removing the dust I may hit it with some best of show.
    I agree with many of you dont wipe it directly with a dry cloth.