A Little Ohms Law or Some Help Here. | FerrariChat

A Little Ohms Law or Some Help Here.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BillyD, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    When I bought my 83 Mondial QV the owner said the car wouldn't run with less than 1/2 tank fuel. I never investigated or verified, I just kept the tank full. Well I have since found that the reason the windows were so fast was that the Voltage Regulator was shot and boiling my battery at +20V. With that fixed the windows are back to full up or down in 2 minutes or miles which ever comes last. So I was wondering now that the gas gauge is getting 12V instead of 20V what effect does the voltage have on its reading? Was it possible the high voltage was causing an empty tank to read 1/2?
    Anyone?

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If it's a conventional gas gauge/sender setup, it should make a difference.

BOKE likes this.
  3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    This is a common fault with the Mondial. I've never really looked into the cause. More likely this is a fault with the sending unit, and not the gauge.

BigTex likes this.
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well the tank sender coil is simply resistance, so it is a function of the total voltage, but as noted the sender and the gauge are designed at 12V so over voltage would not make them read low, I would think the opposite.

I would say one or both are bad, but would start at the sender.
    Used to trash them pretty often in my boat, as it was bow tank and took a pounding...

5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I believe the circuit is a wheatstone bridge so the voltage shouldn't make a difference.

6. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I take that back.
    The circuit is basically 2 voltage dividers. A variable side and a fixed side. The sender in the tank forms part of the variable side. The gauge shows the voltage difference between the 2 sides.

Say the fixed divider is feeding the gauge 6v and the tank side is in balance so it's also at 6v. The gauge reads zero because it's seeing the difference between the two sides. As the sender changes the resistance, the circuit goes out of balance and the gauge moves.

So yes, the 20v will make the gauge read an exaggerated reading.

7. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks. This makes sense to me as my old analog Volt Ohm meter used to not Zero out when it’s battery got low. Now I just need to see how accurate it is.

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Take it to gas station and see how many gallons it takes to fill. In the garage I started with an empty tank, and added exactly 5 gallons. Took photo of gas gauge. Then I knew on the gauge when to look for fuel!

Ak Jim likes this.