A new level of fake? | FerrariChat

A new level of fake?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by bigodino, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #1 bigodino, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Recently at the Modena Track Days s/n 0264 was present (and tracked). Originally this was a Ferrari spider but in the Seventies Fantuzzi put a Touring barchetta replica body on it.

In the past I've seen this car several times and it was obvious that the body shape wasn't entirely correct. It was also obvious that the body wasn't that old and nor was the gleaming paint.

At the Track Days though the body was altered and looks much better now. But something els also had changed. The car now has a fake patina. The paint looks flat and more like one would expect at a barnfind (like the real barnfind also present, s/n 0052!)

There was even a faded Shell logo on the side (see second picture).

So this is where the replica world has come to? Fake patina?

(p.s. there was also a Lola Formula One car from the early nineties. It does have a Ferrari V12 engine, but it was painted as if it was a Ferrari F93A as driven by Jean Alesi! Why?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Different turn signals and a different windshield. I'd guess that these are two different cars.

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I checked the s/n and it's the same car (unless there are now two cars using this same s/n but I don't think so).

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    This is not unheard of for 'real' cars too. There are at least 2 moderately high profile restorers in the UK who are well known for their ability to 'create patina' on otherwise restored cars. Ditto for a painter in southern California. Only a short hop to do the same for a recreation.....

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Well ,to each his own but I think it's quite pathetic to create patina. By the way this is not a recreation but a non-period rebody.

6. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    It did fool me, but I fail to see the point of putting on fake patina.

7. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    These look like two different cars to my eyes: Different grill, lights, windshield, wheels, tire size (width), etc. The hood scoop looks similar but one has Superleggera badges. If there were an accident, I'd presume a new nose or body would be made so I don't think calling it a recreation is appropriate. Also, when new, these cars were NEVER in the condition most are shown as now. Imperfections built into a restoration (duller, period-correct paint, etc.) are okay by the current attention to historical detail.

IMO, this a doesn't seem to be "fake" and should be in the general vintage forum.

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Absolutely the same fake Barchetta. The nose was rebuilt to improve the look around 2000, and the paint work patinated around 2005.

You may call it a rebody, re-creation, continuation, facsimile - I call it a fake. As it definitely is a "non-period rebody" it definitely belongs to this subforum.

9. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Please explain the difference

10. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #10 Enigma Racing, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What is wrong with cars looking old real or not ?

I am grateful that there are owners that are willing to pay for the extra cost of fake patina rather then take the easy repay option. Rebody or not, how much better does s/n 0264 look now then before.

I have posted this before but lovers of recreated patina, will appreciate the following photograph of the front wing of a 1938 Alfa 8c 2900 Spyder showing the various paint layers acquired over the past 75 years.

You have:

The metal wing built by Carrozzeria Touring
    A black undercoat
    A maroon second undercoat
    The original Alfa red paint (matt)
    A nasty yellow self levelling primer from an earlier poor restoration
    A horrible orange red respray
    The final modern shiny shiny red that currently adorns the car

The restorer has carefully removed all of the later layers to expose as much of the original paint as possible. He will then spray in the gaps and match the original paint and patina. Certainly not the cheapest option and it will never be a "100 point platinum car" but when the car is finished it will look so much better.

Kim

11. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I read Rob Lays definition.

So if it has the same chassis and running gear it is a rebody

12. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    A fake is a lie, if they are not lying about this car origins then it is not a fake but a replica or tribute car; and yes fake patina has been going on for a while.

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    But they are: looks like a barchetta but isn't.

Rest of the vocabulary was all invented just in an attempt to tip-toe around that word. Fake!

14. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Fake. An interesting and much-misused word. Fake is all about deception and in this context Fake can be applied as a description to any restored Ferrari original or not. If the owner of this cars intention is to deceive then it is indeed a fake but I do not know the owner or his intention so I cannot form an opinion.

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I try to keep things simple and easy to understand: fake is opposite of real.

If the presentation changes what the car is, then two identical cars may end up being different. That's where it gets too complicated.

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I think that cars like this deceive the eye, regardless of the owner's intention. A particular car is what it is, not what any one owner wants it to be or claims that it is. By your logic, the exact same car can go from being a "fake" to being a "non-fake" and back again as it changes ownership, due to the different owners' intentions, even though the car itself has not changed at all.

17. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    An interesting debate as I believe intention is relevant to the definition

My wife restores early Italian paintings and sometimes this involves a substantial amount of restoration whereby significant missing parts of the painting are repainted. The great skill is in making the finished product appear un restored to anyone other then an expert. As you say the picture will always be "what it is" however anyone seeking to claim it as an original is guilty of deception and in their hands the picture is in effect a fake.

In this context created patina is taken to be "a new level of fake" and deception. The word fake may well be convenient but it is also aggressive and accusing.

Kim

18. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    Interesting viewpoint !

If the artist is dead or gone,
    how do you determine "intent ?"

I have a small bit of training in art,
    and I restored GP motorcycles for 25 years.......

In the old days, most folks wanted
    their bikes restored to "original."
    Correct paint, colors, plating, spec's, etc.
    Just like from the manufacturer.

That worked well on machines
    for which no "history" could be found.

Later, clients were a little more interested in the
    "historics" of the bike, if they could be found.

A few individuals wanted "their" bike "restored"
    to look like it just came off the track,
    under a famous rider and a fantastic win.

Paint and decals to match period photographs.

Once, we had to mount the bodywork on a "mule,"
    run the bike at the track for many laps
    to give the paint the "just raced" look.

It's only original once,
    but you can always have patina......

Is there such a phrase as "original patina ?"

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    It's obvious that real barn finds and other unrestored, original cars gain a lot of attention these days. Even on the lawns of the concours circuit. So to me it's no surprise that attention seekers will turn to fake patina so they can show off as well. It's quite pathetic.

Just my 2 eurocents.

20. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Coming to a paintshop near you……….Directive 2004/42/CE of the European Parliament and Council on the limitation of emissions of volatile organic compounds due to the use of organic solvents in certain paints and varnishes and vehicle refinishing products and amending Directive 1999/13/EC (the “Paints” Directive).

The question is…….What do you want to see on the lawns of the concours circuit. Fake patina or a fake re-spray ?

I think we should have a poll !

21. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
  22. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    We are straying from the original point: This barchetta only saw life in the seventies, and the chassis of another car (yes, still a Ferrari) was used to build it. It's a fake barchetta AND a non-period rebody.
    Patina is created by time and use: How can it be accurately reproduced?
    Fake patina also hides history, more fake.

That's not to say that I don't like this car, but be clear and open about its' provenance and history.

Best,

Jack.

23. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    What would we prefer to see on a car original or not, Fake Patina or a Fake respray ?

It is all a matter of personal preference but I much prefer to see something that looks it's age as opposed to a gleaming show room example and I think this is well illustrated by Bigodino's pictures

K