A new PeterS Rant.....Internet in Hotels | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A new PeterS Rant.....Internet in Hotels

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Oct 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    LOL!
    Who is it tonight?

2. The Rig

The Rig Karting

Sep 5, 2006
    Tucson
    Full Name:
    Gerry Shanks
    There is a book that addresses this "Racist" issue that keeps being repeated. It is called "The World is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman.(quite an interesting read.) The book deals with all the outsourcing that american companies are doing. In it, he talks about the lengths the people in India goto to address the issues that Peter brings up. English classes to help lose their accent, so they will be easier to understand, changing their names to be more "American", etc.

I have been on the other end of a tech support call with someone who I could not understand, and it is very frustrating. If I was in India, calling a tech support number for an Indian company, and went on a rant about how no one spoke clear english, then I could see the "racist" comment. They obviously know its a problem over in India, based on the steps they take to try and correct it, so why is it wrong to bring up the issue here?

3. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    Please read the initial thread that led to all this : http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168316 That was a *typed* exchange on the internet, and the English on the other end was fairly good. The comment about the person's nationality at the end was completely uncalled for.

As to your point about *spoken* tech support, I can see how a thick accent can be an impediment to understanding, and, sensitively stated, I would have no problems with such an opinion, even a rant. :)

4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I was at the Fairfield Inn and Suites on Powick Road. It was an upper-end hotel with a pretty nice room. I stayed there, as their corp. rate was only $119 for the company I drove up to see. The rest of the decent hotels were $175+. Much of the reason I was torqued was because I had been on the road all day and was tired. I drove from Spokane (Glad I did, as I drove through some awesome country! 395 to hwy 3 and N. to Kelowna).

The last thing I wanted to deal with was spending about a haf an hour on the phone to get my internet connection. I'll spend the extra $$$ next time to stay at a 100% wireless hotel. An extra $80 is well worth the half hour to get connected.

Will be back up there the end of March. I'll have to stay an extra day and play some golf and will give you boys ' a shout' :)

5. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    No, YOU prompted all the crap in the thread. I merely made a simple post and you took it in a radical direction, suggested I am a racist and ducked out. I'd bet you would run into the middle of a crowd in Disneyland to slap an old lady in the face and kick the guy in the back next to her and run like hell to watch what happens next.

6. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Hey Peter - didn't know you were coming up our way. If you're passing through Vancouver, us local Fchat folks can spend the 20 minutes to TEACH you your Internet access basics, so you can save the 20 hours of pain you're going to go through at your next hotel and the next and the next DLink, Linksys, iPod, or whatever, access device :D

If you can remember the startup sequence to a 348, you can handle your laptops IP configuration.

7. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    That sounds cool, but I won't be visiting Vancouver any time soon (If I can help it). I WOULD like to visit for a few vacation days and hit the island, but visiting customers there drives me nuts! With no freeways, it's terrible getting from customer to customer (Which I have about ten there). It's like San Francisco, very tough to get from point a to b to c with ease. (No offense, as you have a great city, I'm just impatient!). The drive to Kelowna and Osoyoos is a grand one though, as the country side is awesome, Hwy 3, 97, etc. I envy the beauty and I live in the Western Slopes of the Sierra's!

WAIT A MINUTE! ' Start up sequence of a 348 '??? Sit down and turn the key? Am I THAT big of a techno-idiot? :)

8. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
  9. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    for the record --- pete is not a racist..... his house keeper is from mexico.

10. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    #35 QT3141, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nice try. I hardly "ducked out", pal - you were the one earnestly and desperately steering the thread into a pointless flame fest. Didn't see you complain when the thread got heated for entirely different reasons.

And aren't YOU the one who professes to love creating scenes in public to get your rocks off? Here ya go : http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137089373&postcount=5 Having fun testing our civil rights, are we? Sun glasses and nervous looks and "I ripped you off" gloating looks to "get" some security guard - great example of selfless civic minded behavior.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    #36 Dcup, Oct 7, 2007
    I must agree with you !!! I have photgraphic proof of pete leaving walmart ---- with zippy.........

see for yourself...

12. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    That poor dumb animal!

And I pity the raccoon too! :D

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yeah, Everybody should own one! ;)

Hey Cutie... Know any good Polock jokes?

14. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I was in a hotel this weekend with wireless. I think they had a dial-up connection hooked up to the wireless router, it was the slowest connection I've been on in a long time. Then every few pages it would go to a page making me agree not to do anything illegal on their connection and then would go to their homepage. Coffee shops have fast connections and the place that you pay decent money to be has the crappy service.

Oh, and it was a "boutique" hotel. I guess thats a fancy way of saying no coke machines or restaurant at the place. :-/

15. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    #40 Dcup, Oct 7, 2007
    F**** LOL LOL ..... lol lol lol

16. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    No to Vancouver? ahh, if you hated the roads then you'd really hate them now with all the construction underway for the Olympics. but I think I understand the problem - your laptop is actually simpler than this (yeap - I'm a techno geek, and employ even more of 'em). did you ever READ your 348 brotherhood manual "Starting a 348" :D

for old times sakes:
    http://www.club348.com/technical/Tech/348.html#Starting

t's a three stage process. First, turn the key to run, not start, then fasten your seat belts. Engage the parking brake, clutch, and shift to Neutral. Your 348 has now had time to energize relays and various electrics. Next, turn the ignition key to Start the car. Verify that you have oil pressure (first quarter mark). Let it idle only briefly until your ABS light, BRAKE light, Check engine lights (non-Euro 348's), and Slow Down lights (if any) turn off. At this point, your idle should be down below 1100 RPMs and stable. That's Stage 1. Release the parking brake.

Now begin driving, but initially keep your RPMs well below redline (except, be sure to shift *above* 4100 rpms to go cleanly into 2nd gear when cold). This may be a good point to mention that many, but not all (typically due to wear), models of 348's require the driver to push DOWN on the gear shift in order to shift into Reverse (say, to back out of your driveway after Starting the car per the above steps). Soon you should notice that when you return to idle, that your idle is 1000 RPMs on the money, that you have oil pressure on the first quarter mark on the oil temperature gauge at idle and at mid point by or before 4,000 RPMs. When your oil temperature also reaches the first quarter mark, then Stage 2 has ended (your mainshaft inside your transmission is now warm enough to avoid cold-tranny gear damage from hard shifts).

With good oil pressure, good oil temperature, and good water temperature, then so long as you have no caution lights on your dash, you are now good for maximum RPMs and full spirited driving.

Welcome to Stage Three. Drive on!

17. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Isn't that the worst? I was in a great old boutique Italian style hotel in San Jose CA this past winter - amazing food, stellar coffee, but the worst Internet I'd ever encountered, and I'd had some pretty bad experiences. I suspect a hundred techno-weenies overwhelmed their infrastructure.

I now understand my Internet addiction is slightly more severe than my coffee addiction - but it was close.

18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS

Holy crap........ you are funny! Just may make me want to visit Vancouver! My sales rep that I worked with in Kelowna last week told me that with all the new construction, there will still be NO freeways! Your traffic has gotta REALLY suck now. I remember two years ago from the Vancouver airport to the ship terminal, it took about an hour, 20 minutes in a normal big city.

19. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Do you have nothing better to do than to cruise forums dropping turds in everybody's punchbowl? I'm sure glad I have a life!

20. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    why do $85/night hotels have free internet and breakfast but in $300/night hotels you have to pay $12.95 for internet and $19.95 for breakfast?

21. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Because they can get it! Just like a Five-Star restaurant's $75.00 main dish that has 6 ouces of fish ($3.50 cost) and $.42 worth of garnish, etc.

22. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    Glad to see you're living your life, then b!tching about it on an internet forum every chance you get...sheesh, grow the hell up.

23. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    What kind of turd would that be ??????
    perhaps ----
    THE
    PLEASE GOD NO TURD *or* THE PARTY POOPER
    The giant turd you take at a crowded party. And when you flush the toilet, you watch in absolute horror as the water starts to rise...

OR MAYBE --

FISHERMAN'S BOBBER TURD
    The kind where you are in a public restroom, there are two people waiting on you stall, you crap and flush 2 times, but several golfball size pieces are still floating above the water line.

24. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    And yet I never receive thanks from the waiting guys for the freebies. :D

25. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Go bark at Lamour