A new PeterS Rant.....Internet in Hotels | Page 3 | FerrariChat

A new PeterS Rant.....Internet in Hotels

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Oct 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    Go bite yourself.

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Here's another FChatter I'm done with.

3. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    #53 QT3141, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Does it bother anyone else that a Best Western, Hampton Inn, etc have free wireless internet, but every Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, etc, charge your first born for 24 hours of slow internet usage?

5. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    YES! Internet service is just fast enough to load web pages but not enough quality to support Skype: trying to protect their L/D revenue imo.

6. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Hotels seem to put forth the minimum effort they can on everything.

7. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I have a Verizon Blackberry 8703e and a data account. The broadband modem speed of my phone rivals that of quite a few hotel internet connections. I pay $15.95/mo for that and it's worth every dime. So next time you're at a Westin, "just say no"!

:)

RMX

8. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Next time you have this problem go to start -> Run Type in "cmd" to bring up your command

Then type in ipconfig /release Then press the "ENTER" Key
    then let it do it's thing....

Then once you get a command line back type in ipconfig /renew Then press the "Enter" key

This should get you online in most situations. Hope this helps :-/

9. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    While the Ritz-Carlton in Laguna Niguel charges $12 for a scotch on the rocks! Have a corporate meeting there? Pay $2.50 each for a plate of 24 cookies ($60)...and on, and on! OH! And did I mention their valet guys that could give a rats butt about dinging your car doors?

10. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    for QT3141 ---- since she /he put peters on ignore and wont see his posts, figure id throw a curve ball.

11. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    Thanks but no thanks. Unless he drags my name into it (and gets quoted), I will stay out.

12. quartermaster

quartermaster Formula 3

Sep 11, 2005
    You see, don't you, that it is hard for the ladies to ignore J.LaMour?

13. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    i wish

14. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    The ritz here let a F car roll back into a Limo, and stole my sunglasses from my car.

15. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    And they probably said "That did not happen here"

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    QT3141 - There's something you need to understand about Pete's "rants"

They're constructive.

If necessity is the mother of invention, then he is the mofo of invention, spurring with actual spurs until plug'n'play or whatever is done right. That is whomever's job, not his.

See, in his own lovable way, Pete is an advocate of problem solving.

People complain something isn't strong, simple or easy enough, and do nothing but whine. Though you may not have realized what goes on beneath the surface, there's more to Pete than meets the eye. He "rants" with a twist, as he recognizes, then broadcasts an opportunity for those with skills out of his range who have the know-how, to implement change where need be.

For instance, that's why his RC chips are more powerful than the competition's, as is his Super Glue, and why he's started many a thread freely presenting opportunities based on ideas he's had.

That's it in a nutshell.

17. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    very well said, thomas.

18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #68 PeterS, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Non-prompted, dead-nuts on. Thank you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    Well written. :)

I took exception to a single throwaway remark in one of his rants. And, even if I concede that he's only complaining about what the everyman perceives as things which should work easily (but don't), he still hasn't showed how a typed conversation (accents don't matter, obviously) with a fairly articulate and helpful person from India (or wherever) leaves him worse-off than one with a person from America. *That* was the crux of my major problem with his router rant.

It's good to complain - but complain about things that are just. Complaining about certain things (like ethnicity or nationality), especially when there is no reasonable justification, just makes you look like a wiener, in addition to a whiner.

In any case, I see no end to shrill demands to simplify this and that. Cars *used* to be unsyncroed manuals, and average joes still learned to drive those. Computers used to work off the command line (Apple IIs, UNIX systems and pre-Windows PCs), and people still managed to get their work done by typing in names of applications and pressing enter. In society, there will always be a minority who complain when they feel something isn't quite to their satisfaction (think Goldilocks and the Three Bears, except this Goldilocks just doesn't want to find her ursine compromise). The sensible majority just learn to master a new skill.

Bottom line : you make something "idiot-proof", someone will come along and make a better idiot.

20. Dcup

Dcup F1 Veteran

Jan 3, 2005
    Between 2 Implants
    Full Name:
    Claude Balls
    hey wait.............. how can pete be a racist AND a minority....... ? i guess pete will just have to lynch himself.......pics please -- pete

21. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    LOL :D

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Equally well written, well almost.

Here's my observation: WGAF? If you were any more wound up you'd spin until 2017! I certainly hope you're not an air traffic controller.......are you?

.......not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    For all his quirks ;), Pete's complaint threads tend to spark conversation, they can be amusing, though sometimes they also get off track. It might have been fair to critique his prior thread based on your perception of the situation, but if you follow him around complaining about something in another thread, it makes YOU look like the wiener/whiner.

24. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    I wouldn't have "followed him around" if it weren't for the fact that he dragged my name into it right in the first post of the new thread. He was trying to start something all over again. I have not posted in any of his other threads, nor do I intend to.

Read before you rush into judgement.

25. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    Quite the "spin doctor" yourself, aren't you? "WGAF" could have been easily applied to any one of Peter's ranting threads, yet you chose to use it in reply to my civilised post.

I know your bias, Darth, but when you do it with such transparency, it just looks ...y'know. ;)

Don't forget to see me in hell.