A Question for long Track days in Ferraris vs other super cars. | FerrariChat

A Question for long Track days in Ferraris vs other super cars.

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Hypersonic, Aug 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hypersonic

Hypersonic Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brian Douglas
    I was wondering for people doing extended track days with multiple stints per day. Does the Ferrari seem to get "Tired" more than other cars. There seems to be a silent opinion that tires, suspension and some other elements get eaten through with the raw power of the car on a given day.

Is this all due to driving style, how the car works, car settings. This may be vague but im just wondering.

Jyax1 likes this.
  2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ferraris are no worse than any other sports car. The big deal if you drive fast is keeping any streetcar cool in gearbox, diff, and engine. The only track ready streetcar IMO is the GT3 porsche. Everything else needs help. Brakes are typically one of the 1st things complained about but most less experienced track divers use too much brake.

jag-oo-r, boxerman, Ky1e and 5 others like this.
  3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I never have had a problem.

Hypersonic likes this.
  4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    If you want to track all day and do many events a year a Porsche GT3…GT3RS or GT4 is awesome. They all need…Ferrari, Porsche Vette,…whatever proper maintenance and fluid changes but the Porsche is built for track events. You’ll have better feeling brakes, better brake cooling, better transmission with the GT Porsche cars.

boxerman and lzplayer like this.
  5. Hypersonic

Hypersonic Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Brian Douglas
    Interesting, just have to get over my fear of the porsche balance haha.

6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Fear? Modern Porsche are balanced and incredible at the track

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I properly destroyed a set of tires on my 599HGTE at a long track day in the summer back in 2012. :) Get the hood open and let the car rest when your run group is off the track, you'll be fine.

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    As well as Lotus out of the box… yes more of a momentum car but incredibly light feeling and agile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    I brought my Cali to a half day one on one training to 3 different tracks like PPIR, HPR and PMP in Colorado for total 5x this Summer and need to replace tires and brake pads…. That’s what you need to worry … your cash to spent those items Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Manda racing likes this.
  10. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That is impressive wear. Make sure that you have them check your brake rotors, carbon rotors will not have visible wear but there is wear. I think that the Ferrari rotors are based upon weight. The Porsche carbon rotors are based upon pitch when strike them.

11. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    That tire wear is nuts and should never wear like that. I think you have an alignment issue.

eurocarguy101 likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With front engined cars, trail braking helps the car turning but it puts a lot of load on the exterior front tyre... mid-rear engined cars still benefit from trail braking, but they do not demand it to the same extent so that in the end they're more friendly with the tyres.

carlovers2021 likes this.
  13. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    I replaced brake pads and tires and did not have alignment issue so far… we will see next month late April when I will bring to track again….

14. eurocarguy101

eurocarguy101 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2015
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jefferson Wheeler
    I agree with this. While the factory setup (if this is what you were running) may be good for the street and tire longevity, it may not be the best track set up. Do you know how much toe and camber you were running? It looks like excessive toe-in, or not enough negative camber. Have you measured tire temps and pressures? You may also be “pitching” the car rather than rolling the car into corners with wear like that. Personally, when I rolled into corners more rather than throwing it into a corner, I picked up speed and my tires lasted longer.

carlovers2021 likes this.
  15. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    The Cali has the tire temp and pressure and when getting really hot then I stopped for a break. That happened during half day private track lesson one on one with instructor and I believe that was mainly due to my rookie season that driving like “pitching” as you said thus I used hard braking too much plus cornering with high speed that I had to brake etc… it was a learning experience during my rookie season so hopefully this year I can relax little bit and driving better into corner…. Thus not wasting my money for brake pads and tires…. Again for this year…

eurocarguy101 likes this.
  16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm reminded of a story. I asked a guy once who raced spec miata how he liked the car. He said he hated it, which surprised me. When I asked him why he raced a car he didn't like, he said, "When you race, you are doing your best to destroy the car. Why destroy a car you like?"

Manda racing and carlovers2021 like this.
  17. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    That’s true but because it’s a toy and you need to play with it to give you joy and satisfaction

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Was cole trickle driving this car ?

19. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Anyone go to Willows Springs with Open Track Racing? They meet every other month on a Wednesday. I’ve been twice and had a blast. It’s $190 for all day and that includes a great lunch and T shirt. There’s beginner, intermediate and advanced sessions. In the beginner class you must pass in the straightaways only, the other two classes you can pass where you want.

20. Hosselhoff

Hosselhoff Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Hoss
    A lot of it depends on what car you are tracking, what tires you have on, how you drive, and how well prepared your car is for the track. Before I take my F12 out on the track, i do extensive tech inspection prior, especially if i am spending a full 3 days at an event. The Ferrari though is far better than the McLarens, Lamborghinis, and Aston’s I’ve tracked- those all had issues that ended the day each time.

That said, out of the maybe 30 days that I’ve spent tracking my F12, I’ve only had two issues: One was cooling the big v12 after running it very hard over many sessions and 4 hours into a very hot day at Road Atlanta - had some coolant overflow. This had happened right after a top off at Ferrari dealer prior for tech inspection, so while it appeared to “leak” a bit, all was fine after it got to the correct level when cooled down, and I usually open up the hood to let the engine cool down anyway. Second was a tire issue at Barber MP, where the valve stem got hit by some rubber and broke on track, so i started losing air very fast and came off to replace the tire before I bent a rim.

So for me, it’s mostly been cooling off the car when running hard and making sure everything is in track shape (vs regular road driving). If i wanted a really good track car ONLY, I wouldn’t be tracking a Ferrari; would be GT3 RS for sure. But most of the other times driving that car, I’d just be bored with it - and life is too short to be bored! Tracking Ferrari’s is expensive but quite fun.

Attached Files:

21. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #21 wthensler, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Love your post and attitude. I’m doing the same with my 458 and plan on visiting Watkins, Atlanta and Barber soon with Chin. Life is way too short.

I haven’t seen any F12s out there yet (it is a bit heavy and yes I’ve tracked one during Corso Pilota ) and not a lot of Ferraris in general. I did see a 599 GTO at Sebring and an F8 at VIR last week - interesting comment about the Lamborghinis (I’ve seen exactly one so far) and McClarens (I see them more than the F cars). I actually thought about picking up a ‘Cheap’ 12C just for the track.

The 458 albeit lacking the power of the F12 is a lively track car with its mid engine, but to your point it ain’t no GT3 RS or blown C7. But it does ok, lol……

boxerman and Manda racing like this.
  22. Hosselhoff

Hosselhoff Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Hoss
    Yeah it’s a lot of fun! I’ve never seen another F12 on track ever, and it’s a very heavy car, but part of what makes it great for the track to me is wielding all that weight and power around the corners for sheer fun, less pure speed. I occasionally see a 458 or 488, but not many F cars really, never any Lambos, and the McLarens all break down

wthensler likes this.
  23. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The C7 Z06’s always amaze me on track.

24. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    C7’s are wicked fast on the track. It’s great some of you are getting your F cars on the track. I used to track my 360, but I found it’s not too good on long run sessions. Brake fade was a problem even with updated pads.

25. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    There are lots of folks out there with 458s and 488s. I changed out pads to Pagid RSC1s and am awaiting Surface Transform rotors. This combination (and SRF Castrol fluid) has helped tremendously, as does running with TC off.

Sebring is a bit rough on the suspension, not much one can do about that. I may be the first candidate to have to change out components on the 458 due to wear and tear.

Yes it’s always the big bad C7 Z06s and GT3RSs that hunt me down, lol……

360Tom likes this.