A sad day for me and my 575M | Page 5 | FerrariChat

A sad day for me and my 575M

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Elsi, Jan 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    great outcome...congratulations....car is beautiful.

"But when I want to accelerate fast (overtaking a slower car or entering the high way) I always switch to normal mode to ensure the ASR will not allow slippage of the wheels and fully control the car."

i thought asr stayed on even in sport mode as long as you do not turn it 'off' with dash button...is that wrong?

mike

2. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Mike - Yes, ASR is still on but in a more “relaxed” manner leaving the car much more room.

I have attended two snow trainings with my 575M. In normal mode (sport off) you can fully press the throttle even on snow or ice (even in the middle of a corner) and nothing happens except the car accelerates as smooth as possible. There is no danger of losing ground as long as you do not try to enter corners too fast.

In sport mode ASR will prevent you from the most severe driving mistakes but it is still possible to turn your car.

With ASR Off ASR is really shut off and won’t interfere.

If you have a possibility (track course, empty parking-lot) it is worth experimenting with the different settings. Best are wet or snowy conditions but you need some room for the car.

Markus

3. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks for the insight Markus - and best of luck with the new beauty !

Sammy

4. JLuce

JLuce Karting

Feb 12, 2012
    Glad to hear you're okay! Your mechanic just made my 575 a tad more valuable . . .

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    JLuce,
    Glad to hear you bought a 575. Did you buy the car from Continental (I saw it had sold)?

Either way, great cars!
    Philip

6. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #106 Elsi, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was driving my new to me 575M GTC more than 500 km over the weekend. Wow, what a car! You won’t believe how different this car is with the HGTC handling package compared to my old 575M without the HGTC package.

The sound is superb. Where the standard exhaust is very gentle the HGTC exhaust has a really nice and louder sound!

The software of the gearbox is completely different: At lower revs the gear changes are faster and better. Although they have shortened the time for gear changes a bit, the HGTC feels slower when changing gears at full throttle near redline. I was a bit surprised and miss the “bang” that the former gearbox produced. Now it is much smoother.

The breaks are in a league of its own, though I was not on a track to really stress them.

And the ride is much stiffer.

There was a leaflet in the car describing the HGTC handling package in short. I scanned it and also attached it as PDF if the pic below should be in a too bad quality.

As some of you mentioned, this sad day really turned out to be a good and happy day for me.

Markus
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. fc_11

fc_11 Karting

Nov 21, 2008
    NY
    thx for the pdf - a little something to add to my hgtc's records. very happy to see your situation turn out so well.

8. Sassicaia

Sassicaia Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Thanks for the HGTC booklet Marcus.
    I'll keep it in my glovebox.

Sounds like you had a great time this weekend.

Glad you're enjoying your new ride.

Regards,

Walter

9. JLuce

JLuce Karting

Feb 12, 2012
    Markus, what year is (was) your 575?

10. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    JLuce – It was 12/2003 (SN 132560).

Markus

11. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    A happy ending Markus. Which dealer is it?

Gr. Martin

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Markus- Thanks. Had not seen that. I have a 2005 owners manual, but it has nothing on the HGTC package.

13. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Martin – It’s Auto Pierre Sudan in Zug/Switzerland (official Ferrari/Maserati dealer).

I really can recommend this dealer. I know the service manager for more than 10 years and had two Maseratis and the 575M serviced by them. They always delivered excellent work.

They had several sales managers in the past that did not convince me. But the one they have now, really made a good impression and also knows a lot about Ferraris (he drives a 550 Barchetta).

Markus

14. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #114 Elsi, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Terry – It’s not part of the owner’s manual. It’s a separate booklet. See pic below.

Markus

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Markus- Affirmative. Guess that was way cheaper than doing a new version of the owners manual. They certainly managed to ignore it in the 2005 version of the OM, which has only minor changes from the 02 versions.

16. JLuce

JLuce Karting

Feb 12, 2012
    Markus,

I asked about the year of your car because I need an owner's manual for my 2002 575M and was interested in offering to buy yours. Oh, well - I'll keep hunting!

17. JLuce

JLuce Karting

Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks - saw those on Ebay but I need CY 2002. Are the owner's manuals tied to the cars by serial number or are all the owner's manuals for that model of car the same?

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For US cars, three manuals were published, all very similar. The 2002 manuals have different versions with slightly different text, but the same document number, 1794-02 and, for 2003, 1838-02, and for 2005, 2107-04. The differences in the manuals are very small.

19. JLuce

JLuce Karting

Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks, Terry! As a newcomer to Ferrari Chat and as a first time owner of a Ferrari, I'm amazed at the resources and information available through members of this website. Can't thank all of you enough for the great advice!

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You can download the 02 and 03 owners manuals at ferraridatabase.com. Incidentally, my MY 04 575M came with a 2002 owners manual originally.

21. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    congrats, glad to see a happy ending to your story :)

22. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    I thought I could give an update on the car. I now have my 575M HGTC for a bit more than six weeks and did more than 2 000 km (1 200 miles) since then.

What a great car! I think I could not go back to a standard 575M without the HGTC package. What impresses me most is the gearbox. When I shift gears at medium revs (say 4 000 rpm) not pressing the right pedal to the bottom the car shifts much faster than the old one. The standard 575M took quite a while for shifting gears. With the HGTC package it feels a bit like a F430 (as Terry wrote earlier they did the development at the same time). At high revs with fully pressing the throttle it does not feel significantly faster than before although gear changing times decreased from 220ms to 180ms according to specifications (do not compare this to a Scud which has 60ms…).

Next there is the sound. What a difference to my car before! Now it really sounds like a Ferrari should do and I have the impression that the car gets much more attention when I drive in the city.

Of course the stiffer springs and the stronger anti roll bar also have a big impact how the car handles but in my perception they come at third place.

When I was thinking which one could be the car to be the replacement for my wrecked 575M, I was also thinking about a F430. But I dropped this idea because I think it is a too raw car as a daily driver to me. With the HGTC package my 575M is a bit more like a F430 (though still quite a bit apart) which is exactly the right setting for me.

So I am really happy with my new car and even more that this story ended so well for me! Thanks again to all of you who supported me in this time! This really was a great help to have friends that can feel what I felt.

Markus

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Glad you were able to treat this as a blessing in disguise, and oh, so so well, let alone to mutual satisfaction.

24. Sassicaia

Sassicaia Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Markus

I just returned from my "after dinner" drive in my HGTC.
    You are so right, especially the sound with the driver's window down while driving in 2nd and 3rd gears in the 4000 - 5000 rpm range.

Glad you are very satisfied with your car and, especially the happy ending.

Cheers!

Walter