458 - Adjusting ride height (namely lowering the car): shocks off? | FerrariChat

458 Adjusting ride height (namely lowering the car): shocks off?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Corradosv, Nov 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Do the shocks have to come off on a 458 to adjust the ride height (lower the car) via the coilover collars, or is it possible to do the job with the shocks still in place?
    I know the topic has been directly and indirectly debated already: no offense intended to anybody (and to all I am grateful), but I found contradictory info, like in this post:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/spanners.529312/#post-144847589
    so I really would appreciate the first-hand experience of someone that managed to do the job with the shocks on.
    I am perfectly aware that:
    1) It is a very easy job to do with the shocks off the car (but taking the shocks off isn't).
    2) It is even easier to ask a shop to do that.
    Thanks all.

2. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    I just lowered my 488s on stock coils. You definitely do not have to remove the shocks but the hard thing is getting the jam nuts loose with the shocks on the car but it can be done. The other hard part is that the coils put a lot of pressure on the jam nut so I took spring compressors and pulled some of the tension off of the coils so that I could easily turn the adjusters. It took me about two hours to do the whole job. Wheel spacers really help enhance the look also. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

stretchgeneral and Corradosv like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Never seen or heard of a Ferrari shop removing the shocks to do it. It would also make it a ridiculous time consuming task to set ride height. It is not uncommon for dealers to do this prior to delivery. It is often a question of a bit here, measure, a bit there, measure and so forth. But especially on a car with miles on it and dirty shocks, use spring compressors. It is easy to damage the threads when the collar is under tension.

One thing to think about. You should really do this at a place with a four point scale. The car might sit level and look right, but the corner weight might very well be way off.

After getting the height and balance right, you need a full allignment of both front and rear.

The corner balance is a pet peeve of mine. Shops do a lot of lowering, and rave about how great it looks. But while the car may sit level, that's not the same as the balance being right. What good does it do lowering it, if the front to rear and side to side balance is all screwed up. Sometimes three quarters of a turn is hardly measurable in terms of height, but the difference in weight transferred to that wheel can be significant.

Corradosv likes this.
  4. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Dear both,
    got it!
    Thanks a lot for confirming it can be done without removing the shocks.

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You can do it with the shocks in place, but you run the risk of destroying the shock. The spring perch and locking ring thread onto an aluminum threaded collar that is slid onto the outside of the shock tube during its manufacture. This threaded collar is not secured to the shock, so it can just spin on the outside of the shock, although it has some round holes in the lower portion that you might be able to fabricate a tool to hold it from turning.

I have seen the spring perch and locking ring gall the threads on this collar and seize to the collar multiple times. Once this happens the shock is junk and must be replaced with a new shock, as the collar cannot be removed from the shock.

I always blow all of the rocks out of the shock at the lower perch, clean the threads and use a good lubricant to keep the threads from galling. I have never had the rings seize on me, but I have seen it happen to many other technicians. Now I remove the shocks to take the load off of the spring before adjusting the ride height. Once the threads are cleaned and lubricated, I will make fine adjustments with the shocks on the car.

If you do it on the car, use a spring compressor, clean and lubricate the shock threads.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

Corradosv likes this.
  6. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Dear Brian,
    a very useful advice, and a very clear explanation.
    So I understand there is room enough to fit a couple of (I think just one wouldn't do) spring compressors to release some or all the spring load on the ring?
    That would of course help.
    And: what kind of tool do you recommend to unlock the lock ring, and then rotate both the rings?

7. Snaponjackson

Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
  8. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Yes, sure releasing the load on the rings is thing n°1 to avoid galling. That is an Aluminum on Aluminum thread, and it is not supposed to be rotated under load.
    Of course, like Brian says, cleaning and lubricating help too.
    But still I have my question: can you confirm that there is room enough to use the spring compressors on the car, with no need to take the shocks off?
    I have a set of spring compressors that have a sort of double hook instead of a single one like yours, but if you say yours fit, in case mine won't it will just be a matter of buying a set like yours... still ways better than removing the shocks!

Ivinsea likes this.
  9. Snaponjackson

Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    unfortunately the double hook compressor won't work it's designed to go up the center of the spring and you have to take the spring off for that to work so you have to use one on each side of the spring I did get those compressors up in there with the springs on the car but it is a tight fit
    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    OK, got it.
    Buying the right compressors, if needed, won't be the hardest part of the job...
    Thanks for the info!

11. Dryfly

Dryfly Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2012
    Seattle area
    What spring compressor worked for you??