advantages/disadvatages of Flat 12 vs V12? | FerrariChat

advantages/disadvatages of Flat 12 vs V12?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Easyrider7467, May 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Having a motor discussion with my Finace the other morning, when she asks why a Flat 12 over a V12 and vice versa?

I said not quite sure other than the layout, "I'll ask the experts."

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The Flat-12 has a lower center of gravity that helps with handling. However, when Ferrari made the Boxer and Testarossa it put the transaxle under the engine which defeated that benefit...

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Wasn't the flat 12 (boxer 12, not 180 degree 12) a more naturally balanced engine too?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They went away from the flat motor for packaging reasons. It requires a very wide car and still there are trade offs in suspension design. Plus as stated on top of a trans the CG is too high and in front of a trans the package is too long (it would be ok with me).

It took them years to decide to go to a conventional engine trans layout with the V8 in the 360/430 and everyone complains that car is too big. A 12 cyl car would be a couple of feet longer.

5. Easyrider7467

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    OK, So as far as power output, efficiency there is no difference.

Balance yes I understand that, same goes for V Twin being not a balanced as say the L Twin seen with Ducati.

Center of gravity, yes I forgot about that, Its actually mentioned in my ferrrari DVD. "....the falt 12 of the testarossa lost its low CG b/c of the arrangement of the drivetrain......" (something like that)

Flat 12 is more "compact" than the V12 layout.

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    How did the Maserati Bora pull it off so well then? The v8 longitude engine/transmission mounting as opposed to transverse v8 design a la 308/328 that is. The Bora is a small car, and the engine is 4.9l.

7. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    The boxer engine configuration has a stronger bottom end since all the forces are directed laterally rather than downward. Downward motion puts strain on main caps and bolts.

8. Easyrider7467

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Ahh, OK.

Does anyone have a transverse slice of a Boxer 12?

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I wouldn't put it this way -- the Flat-12 is only more compact in height. Having the heads so far apart on a Flat-12 really requires completely separate intake systems (i.e., not much sharing possible -- like a single intake manifold Packard ;)) and the width of the Flat-12 doesn't fit as well between the (front) wheels as the narrow angle V-12s.

10. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Google "wikipedia flat engine". Lots of info on flat engines plus links to V-type and other configurations.

11. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How did you find a girl that would ask such questions and have these discussions with you. Sounds like a great girl!

Jeff

12. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    the flat 12 took Ferrari to 3 World Constructor Championships in the 70s in F1, a great reliable motor, Ferrari abandoned the F12 later due to the width of the car needed and aerodynamic changes to the bodies which the F12 would not have worked as well

13. robertinOK

robertinOK Karting

Dec 5, 2003
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    RobertWakeling.com
    It seems every time anyone writes about the Boxer, the first thing up is the C of G. It's totally ignored with the Miura etc.

Whilst I agree the C of G could be lower were it not for the trans underneath, a flat engine does have the advantage that everything else is in line with the crank, not above it...valves, cams, con rods, pistons, heads, blocks...etc. Also, all the induction and exhaust system is also correspondingly lower.
    This moves a heck of a lot of weight lower than with a V12. Having the two arranged as they are also lowers total weight due to sharing of surfaces.
    All in all not a bad layout at all, though maybe not the 'best'.

Robert

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #14 2NA, May 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Flat 12 is the better design. What killed the flat 12 was the introduction of underbody ground effects. You can't have the same venturi effect with the flat motor. Other than that, the flat 12 is a brilliant design. It's wide but the 512 TR with its flat 12 AND SIDE MOUNTED RADIATORS is barely wider than a 36O with its front radiators. If you want to know how well the flat 12 works, look no further than the legendary 917 Porsche with its flat 12.

16. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    most piston aircraft have a flat design also (horizontally opposed).

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am curious though, IIRC the F50 and Enzo are not THAT long. Wouldn't a 12 cyl mid engined car have similar dimensions?

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Both cars are dedicated to their drive trains and both suffer from serviceability issues. Not a big deal in the top of the line car with so few made. During the entire run of the TR, Ferrari recieved criticisim for the design being too radical, so the 550 was very conservative. Ferrari recieves a great deal of criticisim for the 360 and 430 being too big. I bet the replacement is made smaller. A standard offering V12 with conventional drivetrain layout would suit me but Ferrari is mindful of the criticisim even if it does not appear to hurt sales. They might make one as a standard product but I would be surprised and that is based on their comments. They were always wringing their hands over wierd stuff but people cycle out of there pretty fast so who knows?

19. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

Piston enging aircraft manufactures use that design primarily for its simplicity in manufacturing, and its simple cooling.

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i was thinking the same thing! LMAO!

where do these women hide?

21. Easyrider7467

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John

Thank You!!!

So far my Finace knows more about tires and motors than most men I know.
    Just through conversations and my enthusiasm when we drive together.
    I say "you hear that, You hear that?" Then go into this eloquent description and make a comparison to music or something and it all begins.

Yes she's Awesome!!!!! (no sisters available)

Getting back to the main thread

Didnt know that

I ddint realize that this wasnt shared. excellent!! I'll have to view a flat 12 and V12 more closely next time. Thanks

22. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    What's the difference?

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    One other advantage of a flat engine (like the BMW motorcycle engine) is that the air under the piston in the crankcase helps push the other piston up, thus you have no crankcase pressure (unless you have leaky rings).

Many other engine designs compress this air as the piston goes down. This causes oil leaks and also is simply wasting power.
    Pete

24. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #24 Zertec, May 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 360/430 are big cars, they package a mid-engined V8 longitudinally with two seats and no luggage space to speak of. In dimensions and profile they are almost the same as the 2+2 Mondial that has much more room and a boot. Okay they are completely different animals separated by years of development and are aimed at a different market segment. Nevertheless it's an interesting comparison.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. t024484

t024484 Karting

Nov 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans A. Polak
    There was a vivid discussussion on this topic some time ago.
    Look what Wikepedia has to say.

A boxer engine should be flat, should always have individual cranktaps for each cylinder, and each pair of adjacent pistons should move in opposite directions.

So in any case, Ferrari flat V12 engines can never be seen as boxer engines, since their V12 cylinder engines are build as two 6 cylinder in-line-engines sharing two conrods per cranktap.