Adventures of a 95 Verde Mugello GT | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Adventures of a 95 Verde Mugello GT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Aerosurfer, Jan 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  2. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #127 Aerosurfer, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Well chasing down what I had realized was a small exhaust leak has me going down a rabbit hole…. Could feel exhaust leaking around the joint between the Catalyst and the center pipe. Was hoping for the best that the sealing ring was off or deteriorated, but had then noticed a few more movements of air elsewhere on the right Cat, near the SDL thermo couple as well as around the shroud itself. Between the two cats there was a different sound with the right side sounding like a real exhaust leak. Also long ago noted…. The fiberglass insulation on the right tunnel had been both cut previous and deteriorated. I’m not sure what the prior fix was intending to accomplish. But the outer tunnel shield was cut at the exhaust hangars…. Likely removed and lazy mechanic didn’t want to drop the Cats to reinstall properly. That’s been rectified with a recycled piece from another car. The clutch housing insulation also has some delaminating… I will pursue this in the future whenever I may need to service the clutch.

Now back to the Cats themselves…. I dropped my center pipe and stuck my inspection camera into the Cat only to find someone prior has been in there and removed all the internals! Nothing, nada, hollow. I have always loved the sound and performance! Also no thrown CELs.
    I decided to remove the Sections in order to install the tunnel shield and fully assess the Cat housings…

once off, I think the welds have failed or never were 100% sealed. Now I am at my crossroads…. I don’t live in an emissions state so immediately no Cat is critical to keep driving. I have been in talks with FabSpeed about either re-coring the stock units or ordering their SportCat setup for my car (confirmed made to order). Ironically putting a cat back on with reduce sound and performance however minimally. Re-coring now seems like a crapshoot if there are holes developing already. Using their new pipes is a mod I wasn’t planning to do, but now seems like the logical choice. Unsure on putting used stock units back on as I have no idea the condition of the cats.

My knowledge of how and what Cats actually do is lacking. According to Fabspeed, their 200 cell cats flow 90+ percent of a straight pipe, but what changes if anything in engine management then? Does a hotter, Slower flow make the O2 sensor adjust ratios differently? Everyone always talks about De-catting or going to high flow cats.. I’ll be reversing that from nothing.

Or pressure test the originals and see if I can seal them up and look stock and keep on keeping on… Trying to do right to this car.

While I have no intentions of selling in the near future, if I go with Fabspeed, I’ll take out the California market if that matters.

Anyone have any thoughts or guidance? Im also available for insults and snide remarks

Pictures to follow…

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  3. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  4. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Almost a criminal thing to not tell you on purchase!

5. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Ignorance is bliss. Does go to show that a PPI isnt the do all final word either. I have found plenty i though should have been noted.

In all fairnes, when mounted the modification is unnoticeable. It wasnt intil after i had the center pipe off and i could see in that i realized they were hollow.

6. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    As I still wait on the new high flow Cats to be built I have done some housekeeping and cosmetic refreshing. The boots on the potentiometers were both cracked. Swapped those out for new pliable ones. I also noticed what looks like some form of gold Pin connectors on these plugs, which I have never seen before. Is this standard to these particular plugs or has someone updated them?

These unpinned quite easily from the housing, but I had trouble getting either IAC control plug to unpin with my tool.

Also did the same with both speed sensors on the clutch housing. Torn boots. The male end of the plugs were also cracked and completely deteriorated so those got all new housings and a cleaning on the magnet side. I have a set of off brand spares i will eventually test on there as well and report if its a suitable cross reference part.

Hopefully back on the road in the coming weeks with a strong and sealed up exhaust
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  7. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    The pins on the TB potentiometer with the gold prongs, are these standard or improved from stock?
    View attachment 1748308

Attached Files:

8. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    How about some updates for my thread... beem posting everywhere else but here, and what a crazy few months its been...

So my new highflow Cats from Fabspeed took awhile, but worth the wait (well no real alternatives) Had to send one back for a fitment adjustment, which set me back 2 more weeks. Fabspeed was good to work with overall, and any future 456 owners doing their Cats are in for a good product. Especially after me, they have a very accurate fabrication fixture. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

While in there i had them make the Exhaust temp probe with the larger 550/360 bung so i was able to use the telestrada probes as well.

9. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    While it was hung up over those months, I found a set of Tubi boxes for a great price I installed as well. Its loud, especially at idle and lower speeds. But above 4000rpm it truly sing the V12 chorus! still not sure i love it, but will give it a few months to see. Between the new Cats and Tubis.. I figured I went on about a 40lb weight loss. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

While the back was apart I serviced the spoiler motor and all moveable parts. What a royal pain the placement of the electrical is at. So far no more spoiler light at threshold speeds!

Rebuilt the Monovalve and now have great heat again. This was a much simpler and cleaner project than I anticipated. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    And lastly in keeping with the cooling system theme... i did a fan relay relocation. As posted in the other thread, another very theraputic and satisfying project. From the Battery+, 70A relays with Fused 10ga wiring, sheathed and well hidden for a subtle look and easy service.

It got cold here, so it will be awhile before I can fully stress test the new wiring and functionality, but it does seem to work as planned

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Im back on the road and enjoying as much as the seasons will allow me.

dr_rob and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  11. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Had a great response typed up and lost it, version 2.

My first 10 months of ownership have been fantastic. Both on the road and on the lift, I have really loved *nearly* every minute of it. I truly desired specifically the 456 for a long time. Meeting your hero, in this, has been a great experience.

I was very hesitant to make any modifications, but I feel all my changes have either been a necessary and functional improvement over stock, or at least completely reversible, should the need arise.

I still weigh, what I hope is reliable long term ownership with keeping the car in a desirable condition.

Either way, I am the caretaker of a car that spent most of the last decade idled, and bringing it back up to its best form has been a fun adventure. Aside from my large maintenance items, lots of little bits or small attention to things that have been worn or materials past their service life that have been replaced or restored. I definately feel its a better car now than a year ago.

I certaily have an evolving long term list that will keep me interested, all the while getting the car out on the road to do what it was designed for. The first year and 1500 miles has been ear to ear smiles in one of the best phrases, "My Ferrari!"

Thanks for following along

12. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Ended up not reusing those re-pinned Angular speed sensors. Wasnt totally happy with the repinned fitment. I believe it was connected fine, but didnt fit the aluminum bracket properly. Kept as spares if needed in a pinch

13. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    Congrats, enjoy.
    I have been pretty much in the same boat as you with my 550. Love to drive it and to work on it. I have spent a small fortune in new parts alone just to replace worn items and even if I have driven it only about as little as you I just love it to bits. Never thought I'd ever be able to afford one yet it's here, and it's not going anywhere else anytime soon.

14. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I would like to replace many of my perished rubber boots. Can you say where you got the replacements? And any tips on de-pinning the connectors?

15. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    A mixture of Amazon and ebay for the boots..

These were the 3 pin boots I used. In this case, i had to buy and needed some make and female connector parts

4x 3 Way Male Fuel Injector Connector EV1 Injector Wiring Waterproof Connector Plug Harness Sets for Universal Cars https://a.co/d/5bQ2itK

Awaiting on a 10 pack of 2 pin boots from this vendor.. they offer boots in various sizes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195331594234?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Gzhs68M9QEu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=_LKYa4nlQie&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There are various tools for de-pinning from the connectors, but a flat paperclip or brad nail can also be used carefully.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-56500-terminal-tool-designed-to-remove-wires-from-terminals-without-damage-to-either-56500/10550507-P

Oddly, I was unable to remove the pins from the IAC valves to reboot, no matter the tool none would separate, with any of my tools (correct or improvised). So I deferred for now. May cut and rewire/connector at a future time.

KrissKross and Mirek like this.
  16. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    That's very kind. Thank you. All ordered.

17. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Thanks to your help with sourcing the rubber boots I started on mine today. The prongs on my potentiometers were also gold, so I’m guessing they came like this from the factory.
    It looks like a couple of the 6 pin connectors had a 90 degree bend in the rubber boot. This you find this too?

18. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I didn't have to mess with my MAF boots or any of the larger boots yet, so i cant comment on that.

I recieved my 2 pin boots from the ebay vendor yesterday and got started with a new boot onto the steering box. Similar enough and plenty pliable, it does the job.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  19. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Got out again for a beautiful late season drive, and possibly the last for awhile as the weather and temps are changing this week. I was happy to be able to get the car warm enough today to get both fans to kick on and put to rest my fan relay relocation kit and how it works.

Still not sure about the anemometer. But I can get over 1500³ft/min on both fans to display on the guage if I place it right.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  21. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Great looking car. Quite handsome. I wish I could still enjoy washing mine but the water leaks on mine are such a bummer. Even on a late 2003M.

Be careful, after a few solid days of heavy California rain last year, FastCars had to replace ALOT of padding under the rear carpet that was just water logged and rotting away. I had ZERO idea that this occurred. They found it when replacing my rear speakers. I was also using a power washer on it I no longer use. Thank God they noticed it.

I recently had my driver side window addressed and it still gets in. Same with passenger area. It seems to “sneak in” and pool up without one even knowing. It rained two nights ago and it was comical how much was in the doors. I also think it leaks inside (and into) the doors.

22. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Man this thread needs an update, i have been posting everywhere but here.

Met up with the local FCA club in downtown Indianapolis.

Beautiful turnout on a great day.

My car was the vintage model for nearly thw whole time, and the Sole V12 car again.
    I continue to be amazed the reactions, from people of all ages, at how much attention my car gets in a crowd of modern Modena Muscle

Also turned over 24k miles today

Attached Files:

bay and JOEV like this.
  23. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
  24. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Way cool. You said earlier rebuildi the heater valve was easy. It looks like you pulled it up with the hoses. I want to rellace my heater hoses to the motor and tank while the plennum is off. Is there a good thread? Any advice.

25. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #150 Aerosurfer, May 7, 2023
    Last edited: May 7, 2023
    Havent had to take my plenum off yet... but all the pictures i have seen look straightforward for access.

The monovalve rebuild was very straightforward. Its just a magnetic plunger and rubber diaphragm with some small pieces. Holding it together.

The hose that runs to electric pump which sends fluid up to the heater core, seems like a really annoying routing design. The pimp itself is located behind the right front wheel well. Pull off the panel and the lower right cover under the car to reach that.

Im sure there is a thread, but really just staring at the diagrams while looking at the car will show whats there and where they go

pchop likes this.