Advice on moving to Miami | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Advice on moving to Miami

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Nincompoop, May 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    I'm presently temporarily living on Brickell in an older building. A couple of things to consider:

The older condo buildings have MUCH more parking available than the newer ones. I'm talking, you'll get a PH with two parking spaces in the newer buildings, and one space for a 3 bedroom unit, which is absurd. The older buildings are also more generous with square footage, generally larger kitchens, bathrooms, closets and master suites. Obviously there is a bit of a trade off with an older building, but nicely renovated units in older buildings are a better value in my opinion.

Some fantastic older buildings to consider: Santa Maria, the 80's Arquitectonica designed buildings have aged very well and are very well taken care of by the associations. Of those, I adore the Imperial. The Atlantis and the Palace are also very nice. The Four Seasons is absolutely fantastic, and the garage is elevated. It's perfect for exotics.

Regarding flooding.... Yes, Brickell is a bit more prone to flooding than other areas, but it's not as bad as South Beach, namely the Sunset Harbor area. Coconut Grove also floods during Hurricanes and Tropical Storms, and it's all just part of living in paradise. The newer towers in Coconut Grove have a serious parking shortage, same comment as above regarding the older buildings being more generous with parking. If those newer buildings in the Grove had better parking, I'd be there.

Generally we don't drive our F-cars when the weather is as nasty as it was a few weeks ago, so this should be a moot point. Common sense prevails with this, if you drive your exotic through a huge puddle of standing water, you really deserve what comes next. Or... You're looking to make an insurance claim. LOL...

Presently my daily drivers are parked at ground level and didn't see a drop of water during the massive flash flooding last week. One of them is parked completely exposed outside in a surface lot, where the condo has my second assigned space.

I do not keep my F430 at my condo because I have 3 cars, and only two parking spaces (see my comments above about newer buildings).

There are garages in the area (Including the Four Seasons), that offer monthly parking. I found an elevated parking garage that has 15 floors of parking, where the top 4 floors are completely deserted, and I'm keeping my F430 on the top floor under a locked car cover. I give the garage manager an extra few bucks to check on the car, and it's been seamless.

It's easy as anything to get the car. I drive over in one of my daily drivers, swipe my access card, drive up to the F430, park next to it, take the car cover off, store the cover in my daily, and drive off. Quite honestly, it's easier than when I had the car in my garage at the house because I was always doing a car shuffle to get the car out.

Is it ideal? No, but it's not bad and I'm liking it. Some Fridays, I just stop at the garage on my way home and take the F430 home for the weekend.

There is a dedicated car storage place about 20 minutes away called Car Safe Storage, that I considered as well. They seem like good guys and might fit your needs also, but I wanted 24-7 access without an appointment so I went the parking garage route.

Good luck.

mmyhorses likes this.