Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet-100 plane on fire makes emergency landing | FerrariChat

Aeroflot Sukhoi Superjet-100 plane on fire makes emergency landing

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Fave, May 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Video landing in flames
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BxFjh1PFqK5/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48171392

2. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    Reports many passengers stopped to get luggage from the overhead before evacuating thus stopping some from getting out.

3. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Video looks bad. Hard landing, bounce, porpoise and then slam on the rear and engines/wings catch fire. At first reported to have been a lightning strike. Squawked 7600.

According to RT, the captain says it was a regular approach in terms of speeds. No idea whey they smashed it in the runway though (overweight perhaps).

Aftermath is pretty terrible-looking too. I wonder what will become of the SSJ...

4. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    More video of the landing, from outside, then inside (from AVWeb).

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm guessing that on the second bounce, a landing gear came up through the wing and pierced a fuel tank, which instantly burst into flames. It appears on the first video that the fire crews took a rather long time to get to the aircraft.

tomkatf likes this.
  6. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Yes, agreed.

2 minutes for ARFF apparently. That's not terrible in and of itself, but really not great considering an overweight landing was planned--they should have been out standing by along the runway.

7. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Looking at the video, I'm guessing it was either a wight and balance issue or a problem with the flight controls. I don't know this jet, but since it has "super" in it's name, I'm guessing it has a "fly-by-wire" system.