Agency Power 430 Manifolds with Zircotec Ceramic Coating | FerrariChat

Agency Power 430 Manifolds with Zircotec Ceramic Coating

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jonathan White, Nov 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonathan White

Aug 9, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan White
    #1 Jonathan White, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    I recently bought a set of AP F430 manifolds from Vivid Racing (thanks James) and before fitting, I've decided to have them ceramic coated by Zircotec, based near Oxford, UK. I'm really pleased with the work and finish achieved.

https://www.zircotec.com/performance-colour-exhaust-coating/

I went with Graphite -

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'll take some IR heat readings with the standard manifolds and then with these fitted, to validate the heat reduction claims - ideally I'll not need any additional blankets etc. but we'll see. The coating comes with a three year guarantee but given the hassle removing, I'm hoping not to need it.

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I'm in the exact same situatuon as you. I also bought the AP headers from VR and then had them ceramic coated by Jet-Hot in Texas, USA. The coating I had applied is good up to 2500 degrees and the claim is it will reduce under hood temps by up to 65% over OEM. I chose white because it further increases the likelihood of that claim though less heat absorption. I have an IR thermometer as well, and plan to do the same as you. Can I post my before and after results here too?

Attached Files:

Jonathan White and whatheheck like this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Jonathan White

Aug 9, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan White
    Appreciate there's so much on this topic but hey, two more real world examples can't hurt.

I have capristo brackets to fit too - seemingly another minefield of opinions!

5. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I have the Capistro brackets too. These similarities are eerie. Jonathan White gets his AP headers coated black and Dale Black gets his AP headers coated white!

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  6. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but what are your guys plans to deal with the CEL that will likely come up?

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I have agency power headers and Kline exhaust. No check engine light issue ever. It's been a year since I installed the pair. Zero issues.

I have a post on my upgrade here somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    Thanks for the response.

In my experience with other cars, it always seems like that is hit and miss. Lots of variables always seem to play into it, the humidity, air temperature, even the minor differences between vehicles.

What I'm getting at is, I'd hate to spend the money on the headers and the labor only to end up chasing my tail with a CEL.

9. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Are you running O2 extenders or mini-cats?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I did my homework before doing this upgrade. If you do a search, not one member here reported getting a CEL after installing AP headers and Kline exhaust on an F430.

CEL issues appeared on Fabspeed headers and after market exhausts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    No O2 extenders or mini cats. Just plain headers and original cats.

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Similar to all of you I hate chasing CEL faults so I do my research before doing mods. So far so good. No CEL.

I had a CEL pop up 3 months ago and it turned out to be dirty contacts on variator control solenoid valve connectors. Cleaned contacts with contact cleaner and CEL weren't away and maximum power is back.

Dan

13. Jonathan White

Aug 9, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan White
    I'm hoping for no CEL but appreciate it may trigger - for me preferable to deal with this than leave the standard manifolds in place with the inherent cracking / breaking up risk.

whatheheck likes this.
  14. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Well -- I've seen complaints of the CEL coming on and how to remedy it w Fabspeed headers . What is the difference between them and the Agency Power headers so this doesn't happen? It's got to be something .

15. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I thought the AP and Fabspeed headers were the same? I believe some CEL's that result from such a simple upgrade have to do with the quality of the install. There are four sensors that need removed/protected/reinstalled without damage, 4 gaskets that need properly installed and aligned without air leaks, proper use of antiseize, not to mention properly torquing nuts and bolts - all which present opportunities to cause a CEL.

16. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    They are exactly the same. Fabspeed, Agency, IPE.

A variable would be back pressure downstream of the cats from the cat-back exhaust. Lambda sensors are sensitive to back pressure. The higher the pressure, the higher the concentration of O2, the the lower the O2 sensor output voltage.

The upstream O2 sensor is used to monitor rich/lean and gives the ECU the signal to switch from rich to lean momentarily as O2 from a lean condition is needed in the cat to burn CO and hydrocarbons. But lean too long and it doesn’t have enough fuel to breakdown Nox. The Downstream O2 sensor would have a more stable output signal and is primarily looking to see the right amount of oxygen in the exhaust even though the ECU is switching (minutely) back and forth from rich to lean.

I haven’t seen any data on back pressure per system, but my educated guess is that the exhaust systems with higher pitch have a higher back pressure to get that sound (unless it’s a true F1 engine spinning at 15,000 rpm). In a crude way, like a whistle.

Exhaust temp might have a small effect as well, temps would be higher with increasing back pressure, at higher temps the concentration of O2 would be higher due to more thorough catalytic ignition, to a point... the melting point.

So higher back pressure could mitigate the impact of removing the pre-cats.

17. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    theres nothing about the AP headers that make less chance of getting a CEL.. they are all the same AP, Fabspeed etc..

which all have the header cat removed..

thus as mentioned above there are a ton of variables, why one car doesn't get any CEL while another does..
    certainly running your stock cats/exhaust should help..

but as soon as you start adding, high flow cats, or straight pipes..etc.. can most definitely trigger CEL..

an aftermarket exhaust box only should not trigger any CEL..

only way for 99.99% solution is mini-cat spacers. when your changing headers and or cats

whatheheck likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent summary and I agree.

Thanks.

Dan

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    and just to summarize my configuration: AP headers, Kline Exhaust, stock Cats. No CEL.

I also have Mase Engineering software tune for improved performance but has nothing to do with addressing any CEL issues.

Dan

20. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is the coating on interior as well or just exterior?

21. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    2006 or earlier vs 2006 onwards makes a difference to how easily a CEL is triggered.

22. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    How so, Calibration?

23. Jonathan White

Aug 9, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan White
    No, just the outside - I asked about this but they advised it would not make the heat reduction any more effective.

24. Jonathan White

Aug 9, 2018
    Cotswolds, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan White
    Mines a 2007, does this mean it's more or less likely to trigger a CEL?

25. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    From what I've seen, the newer the F430 is, the higher the chances are for a CEL. I've also seen early F430's that have been confirmed to have newer software updates from Ferrari that have had a CEL triggered. So it likely comes down to which software version your individual F430 is running. I also have a feeling that the European based cars are likely less sensitive than the US based, but that's just a guess.

If a CEL is triggered, the O2 sensor spacers from Big Daddies Garage get the job done quite well. We've found they work the best out of the various O2 spacer options.

-James