Air pump hookup Testarossa 91 | FerrariChat

Air pump hookup Testarossa 91

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jratcliff, Sep 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hi,
    I am trying to re-hook up the air pump (former owner took off the belt and disconnected the wiring). He tie wrapped the cable from the air pump electric clutch, but I can't find the where it hooks up. Can you give me a tip where and what it hooks up to.
    Thanks,
    John

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The car failed the emissions test. I installed new cats, but I noticed that the air pump is not hook up. What do you think my chances are for passing this time.

4. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I think that the pump turns off when the car reaches temp, it is used on initial start up to heat up the cats to more effectively burn fuel inside the exhausts, to lower emissions. When hot the clutch disengages, so I don't think that is your problem, correct me if I am wrong 91TR.

The best way I have found to get your emissions correct is to use a gas analyzer, you may need small adjustments to some fuel related items, or a tune up, plugs,wires etc.....could be many things.

How is the car running?

5. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Car had a major done in January and appears to be running fine. The initial problem was I didn't notice the cats had been removed and test pipes put in it place. I removed the test pipes and installed a pair of Hyperflow cats. While I had the car up in the air I noticed that the air pump belt was off and the connector was disconnected. I am still having problem seeing the other connection end, but by your explanation I don't believe the air pump would cause it to fail the emissions test. I have not taken it back to get the test run again since putting the cats on. I think if I continue to have problems finding the connector I will leave it disconnected.
    John

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The TR needs to be nice and hot to get the main cats working properly. They are a LONG way back form the engine. They take forever to reach operating temperature, and that's why Ferrari designed those damn pre-cats.

Arrive at the testing station with the thing cooking, and as long as the cats are working and the car is in tune, you'll be fine.

7. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Well, now you have a nice set of test pipes to sell. - to me :cool:

8. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Thanks to everyone for their assistance. I now have the cats and air pump hooked up. I feel as though I should get some kind of award though getting the air pump hooked up. Putting the belt on and adjusting the belt would be extremely hard for Houdini. I keep wondering why Ferrari supplies the belt in the kit when changing this on the side of the road would be totally imposible.
    John

9. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    May well be due to some dumb EPA requirement. On many other cars replacing that belt is easy.

10. germanrod33

germanrod33 Rookie

Apr 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    German A. Rodriguez
    So...which is the funcionality of the air pump? My belt is goingo to cut soon. Shoult I change the belt? or not?
    Thank you to everybody, and sorry for may bad enghish.
    German

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Only runs when it is cold.

If you cut the belt a very expensive air pump will soon be junk from rust seizing it. I'd suggest taking it off and pouring oil in it and packing it away.

12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you disable the air injection air pump (in addition to physically removing it per Rifledriver's recommendation to preserve it), you'd also need to either:

1. remove the air injection manifolds and use metal plates to block off the openings in the cylinder heads (this would be best), or

2. at least disable the air injection electrovalve by unplugging it -- item 48 here:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1990/secondary-air-pump-and-lines-for-u-s-and-ch88.html

(it has a ZN purple-black wire and a R red wire). This will prevent the air injection cutoff valves from opening during cold-running. If you disable the air pump itself, but don't disable the air injection cutoff valves (by unplugging the air injection electrovalve), the cutoff valves will open during cold-running. This lets hot exhaust gas impinge on the air injection check valves -- they will eventually fail (and don't seal all that well in the first place), and the hot exhaust gas will then move upstream and contact the plastic air injection cutoff valves and melt them (and probably the hoses, too, and bake the air pump if it's left in place).