Air Suspension on 360 Spider | FerrariChat

Air Suspension on 360 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Keith360, Apr 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Ferrari 360 Spider on Accuair ENDO-CVT air management system. And newly released Universal Air air struts.

Since my purchase of my 2004 Ferrari 360, I’ve had concerns and frustrations with how low it is to the ground. I love the look, wish it were lower because I think it looks better. I believe the height is within factory specifications.

My concern is the fact that I really don’t want to damage the car by dragging the nose at every ramp, driveway, gutter, and bump in the road.

!!! My frustration is every time I take the car out I need to plot my course before hand and recall from memory every no-go location. and take into consideration the road ahead, analyzing each vertical change on my entire course. Wrong turn...drag the nose.

I know my Sport Mod is crippled, but foremost in my ownership is “Rarely Driver”. I have no desire to track the car or to prove the cars capabilities. I’m wearing the hat, not the complete Fire Suit.

For over a year I have been working on a hydraulic system mostly of my design. It would be simple as throwing one switch to control normal ride height to a raised value of plus 1.25 inches. I constructed much of the bracketry to mount the pump, and the small reservoir. I made five progressive mock-up versions starting with paper, then cardboard, then aluminum, then a second aluminum, and finally steel. I designed a control relay/fuse panel and completed the final version. I purchased stainless steel tubing and a cache of fittings covering most every straight, 45-90 degree plausible.

I lost steam on the project and got busy with other projects. The car has been waiting for my next step for a year or so. I had project after project stepping in front and still have a few on the horizon at the time of writing.

My son works for Accuair Suspension who make the premier automotive aftermarket air management suspension system in the world. They make a few complete installations, but not my Ferrari 360 Spider.

My son found a company called Universal Air that just finished R&D on making air-struts for the 360.

Accuair also was on the cusp of shipping their new air management system with the nearly silent air pump in the tank. In the words of others, “The Planets Aligned”. I feel that this air suspension is superior to the hydraulic system I was working on. The primary reason is to raise ride height and the air system has twice the dimensional range.

The system features are:
    • Three ride height presets to be made by owner from a interior mounted control panel. Panel is iPhone size and comes in different surface finishes and colors.
    • iPhone app control capable. Looks and works like the the primary control panel.
    • 3 gallon tank with very low noise dual isolation pump.
    • Adjustable orifice flow rate. Separate up and down flow control adjustments for each corner.
    • Internal Solenoid Valves
    • Internal tank pressure switch
    Work Steps
    1. Remove existing Coil Over Shocks.
    2. Design and fabricate road height potentiometers brackets.
    3. Install ride height potentiometers.
    4. Match air strut length to new struts.
    5. Install air struts.
    6. Install air line whip line brackets.
    7. Leak check whip line connection to strut.
    8. Design and fabricate electrical component panel.
    9. Design and fabricate tank platform.
    10. Install tank platform.
    11. Fabricate and polish 3/8” aluminum tubing.
    12. Install electrical panel.
    13. Fabricate and install control panel mount.
    14. Route and install electrical harnesses. (Power, ride height potentiometer, control panel)
    15. Measure internal OEM coil over strut electrical solenoid resistance.
    16. Design and fab loop back connector with matching resistance to coil over strut. (2.4ohms) This fools the OEM system into thinking there OEM shocks are present.
    17. Route and install pneumatic DOT plastic air lines.
    18. Power up system, calibrate, and set ride height memory settings.
    19. Bubble leak check system.
    20. Finish up installation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    The tank/pump will reside in the bottom well of the truck along with the audio amplifier. The electrical panel will reside where the factory CD changer was mounted.

3. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    in 17 years of owning my 360 I haven't needed such a thing. Why in the world would people start doing this now? Props to you for doing what you want. Ill stick to leaving my car the way it left maranello

4. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    If people want to ruin their cars, let them. It’s better for resale for everyone else (n/a for me because I’ll never sell though).

5. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting... what's the target price on this setup?

6. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Glad to see more people going the route of air!

To each their own, just because you don't appreciate it, doens't mean other people don't!

I went with AirRex Struts and Airlift 3H Management. The Accuair wasn't out yet, and, I was a bit hesitant on having everything within the tank, just in case there were any issues. Either way, Accuair makes great stuff, used their E-Level Setups on multiple other cars before.

7. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    As I explained, the cars nose clearance is in sufficient in the area I live. I’m doing it now because parts for a great systems have come available.
    I’m not ruining the car. All modifications can be reversed.

KC360 FL likes this.
  8. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was was excited to share with the group, but now i have second thoughts.

I’ve heard the old fuddy-duddy responses in other forums on other subjects. I’ll never change the lightbulb in my oven because it will not be original. The things is what I’m doing and what modifying can be reversed and no one would be the wiser.

I was looking for the AirRex struts by themselves, never got a quote from two dealers.

9. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    .......and yet another reason a "modified" section would be great !

Don't worry man.....you do your thing and enjoy the hell out of it . The rest of the boring bastards can just sit and stew while staring at the screens and reading how the younger , more original , group has become more prevalent :D

gtwhaley likes this.
  10. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Great idea Keith! Having owned two 360 Spiders I can relate to your frustration with ride height. As careful as one could possibly be it was still inevitable that the front end would bottom out. I would add that it’s only an issue with owners who actually drive the car which I did routinely. A lot of owners on this forum just park it in the garage to look at it so it wouldn’t be an issue for them

11. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    the air suspension on my escalade is terrible....... I had front tend lift on my Gallardo, I don't recall a large air tank like in your photo.... I would try doing the same system in the lambo's

12. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I agree... I’m pretty sure the downsides in terms of added weight and loss of handling ability are why you can buy cars OEM with Front Axle Lifts but not with air suspension.

13. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    Interesting project.
    Ignore the -ve comments and keep posting.

KC360 FL and hessank like this.
  14. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1

Funny how folks react to someone personalizing a mass produced car with a mod and immediately comment about resale value.
    I too have some streets my car cannot make it on without bottoming out.

Secondly, most 360s no longer resemble the way they left the factory with the changeover to 430, CS or aftermarket rims, headers, header blankets, larger brakes, CS rear/front grills & spoilers just to name a few. Just saying!

Kudos to you!

DonJuan348 likes this.
  15. MAXF430

MAXF430 Karting

Nov 16, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joey
    Hey Keith – can’t wait to see your car finished. I’m with you on the Air Suspension. My F430 Spider is lowered with a Hamann add-on front spoiler and I cringe going up and down driveways but I wouldn’t want my car any other way. Don’t have second thoughts and Don’t worry about the purist that talk shht. They don’t get it and will always have something to say. If and when I sell my car, I’m putting it back to stock and selling it to a purist. LOL. :)

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I always find it funny how people rant about the 360 being a mass produced car. Seriously? With a global production of about 17000 cars and only about 1/2 come to the US. For a Modena or Spider that means 4500 or 3500 examples TOTAL over the entire run. Subtract the wrecks from that and the numbers are small. At the same time, Toyota was producing about 8M per year or 27,000 per DAY. Now how does that 'mass produced' thing work again?

I now return you to your regular broadcasting.

KC360 FL and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    On the OPs mod, personally not my taste. It compromises handling too much. Before I would go that way I would do a hydraulic lift to clear those big bumps while retaining the handling. If my roads are so bad I really needed a lot of ground clearance I would go another way and have something equally fun but very different like an LM002. Bit if it makes you happy go for it.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  18. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I would love to put a front end lift on F430... it was a great feature on the Gallardo... from what I see online a front lift project on the F430 would be around $9000.00 :(

19. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    The Struts were industry discounted and paid 2K, the remaining management system with all the bells and whistles was also discounted. It was 2K or maybe a little higher. Other detail material, fasteners, heat shield sleeve, was another $100. So $4,100 to $4,500.

I think I got the deal of the century.

20. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    I question your comment on the compromise of handling. Do expand on that for me. I’m interested in why you state that fact. I know the sport mode is disabled, but this is a two wheel drive. My 2002 996TT had a great system and worked well, but is is all wheel drive. There are a few car manufacturers that seem to think air suspension is worth more than a conventional spring. Maybach, Rolls-Royce, lexus, Jeep, Ram, Cadillac, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Land Rover, Audi, Subaru, Volkswagen, Lincoln, Ford, and Tesla. All in all a coil spring and an air spring react in the same manner. A force is applied to the two, each stores and releases energy. Reaction rate on each strut is also adjusted each direction. More tailoring than a coil can do.

21. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Yep, SOS. Your money and car, go for it. Keep posting it up, love what you are doing !!

22. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    You sure do have a lot of time on your hands. Stop adding useless input, your negative attitude reflects poorly on this community irregardless of your opinion on modifications.

23. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    You know of all the modifications that actually change what your car does this one makes sense. You didn't do it to make your car a monster truck, or to make it scrape the ground, you did it to clear dips in the road and saved the parts so you can put it back. 2 thumbs up here.

24. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    If it results in an improvement to handling (or even not a loss), I’ll be happy to see some data and be proven wrong. I’m new to Ferraris so no egos here just happy to learn!