Airliner ATC in 1963 | FerrariChat

Airliner ATC in 1963

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Aug 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Another interesting vintage film, this time from the FAA and showing how air traffic control worked in 1963. From what I know, things really haven't changed all that much since, but I'm hoping that those of you who are in the know will add appropriate comments.

Still quite a few propliners at O'Hare in '63, and you can spot Eastern Electras and United Viscounts as well.

2. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    That's awesome.

Interesting how a lot of the airport shots look nearly identical to today, except for the aircraft of course. 50 years later and jetways are still the same.

Only thing that looked odd was the aircraft being parallel to the concourses instead of perpendicular.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The latest 8 billion dollar upgrade for O'Hare will bulldoze the remaining old terminals. From this video only the round building will remain by 2025.

Helicopter service for crews.... Things sure have changed. They also just closed 32L.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That will eliminate the terminal whose interior was seen in the movie "Airport". Some years ago I was delayed four hours when our incoming 757 had a flap jackscrew fail before landing and the airplane had to be taken out of service. I had lunch in a restaurant that was directly beneath Mel Bakersfeld's second-floor office as seen in the movie.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That was a throwback to pre-jetway days when aircraft would park parallel to the terminal and two stairways were used, one for first class and one for coach. For a number of years, two jetways were used similarly; this can be seen in the movie "Airport". But that used up too much space, so the straight-in approach with a single jetway replaced it.

Some jumbo jets on international flights still use two jetways, but the doors for these are usually side-by-side and the aircraft still park straight-in.