Alaska in the summer with the family | FerrariChat

Alaska in the summer with the family

Discussion in 'Travel' started by asgor, Apr 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I would like some advice on where to stay for a one-week Alaska trip in the summer (late July - early August) with a family of four (two adults + two young adults).

We generally aren't adventurers in the true meaning of the word and tend to enjoy the comforts offered by higher-end establishments and resorts. But, obviously, Alaska being Alaska we are quite prepared for a certain degree of exploration. I suspect this would include whale watching trips, a bit of hiking, and certainly other activities that I can't even think of as I am typing this.

We would like our stay to be at a reputable and solid establishment located within an area that is conducive to activities that area appropriate for that region in the summer.

I welcome your suggestions and would love to hear your direct experience with similar Alaska trips you may have enjoyed in recent past.

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #2 Gatorrari, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    I can only speak about the one Alaskan city that I have visited: Ketchikan. Positively delightful, and it's worth a stay of at least 3 days. I stayed at a place called the New York Hotel (now called The Inn at Creek Street), which is within walking distance of downtown and most of the local attractions and tour jump-off points. I flew in but most people come via cruise ship and just stay for less than a day, and that's not enough. I left via Alaska ferry and enjoyed the 40-hour trip to Bellingham, WA, from where I took Amtrak to Seattle and then flew home.

Attractions in or accessible from Ketchikan? Amphibious Duck tour (run by cousins of mine, BTW), Misty Fjords National Monument (go via catamaran or floatplane), Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour (boat is a veteran of "Deadliest Catch"), Saxman Native Village (lots of totem poles), Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. If you go, be sure to book all of these in advance. Oh, and in August the afternoons are a comfortable 65 degrees or so; I only brought a sweater and didn't even need it that much.

(The Inn at Creek Street dates to 1924, and if that is too old for your tastes, I can recommend the Cape Fox Lodge, which is on a bluff overlooking the harbor and is accessible via a funicular (or inclined plane) that runs up and down the bluff.)

calder1 likes this.
  3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you, that's a great summery and certainly a place I'll look into.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Here are a couple of the Ketchikan Ducks, operated by my cousins, next to one of the "floating condominiums" that they get most of their customers from. If you visit Ketchikan, please take the Duck tour! https://akduck.com/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dRoger45 likes this.
  5. dRoger45

dRoger45 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    I heard too this is one of the best tour service there.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They also have Hummer Tours if you'd rather explore the interior of the island; you'll see those at the same link above.

dRoger45 likes this.
  7. dRoger45

dRoger45 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    That would be more exciting!

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    How did your trip go? Where did you stay?

9. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Good question! We ended up visiting Canada instead: a whole lot easier for an East-Coaster. Going to Alaska is still in the cards and maybe we'll do it next summer.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    One of the best road trips I ever took was part of a longer trip from NYC to SEA in June 1991. I headed west from Calgary thru the Rockies to near Vancouver before turning south. Magnificent scenery!