Alcantara and sound quality. | FerrariChat

Alcantara and sound quality.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Puro, Mar 25, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Puro

Puro Karting

Sep 15, 2022
    Assuming Alcantara helps with sound quality within the car, considering the material. Any audiophiles by chance notice a difference? Specifically with an Alcantara roofliner.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Would a real audiophile listen to music in a car ? For that matter isn't the sound fundamentally compromised by the road and/or engine noise ?

020147 likes this.
  3. Puro

Puro Karting

Sep 15, 2022
    Audio file who
    An audiophile who drives, yes. While the interior of a car might not be an ideal place to listen to music, modern audio engineers have really improved the experience. And with Ferrari getting on the Burmester bandwagon…even better.

4. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Your ears would bleed in my f430 with base stereo. That has the worst audio in any car I have experienced. Even my old base Toyota Highlander with a tape deck was better! Luckily I never turn the radio on in it.

5. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I prefer the Italian race engine with open exhaust song with the zero head liner option.

There would seem to be a measurable improvement using Alcantara compared to smooth surfaces.

Interesting question

Mel Spillman and Puro like this.
  6. Puro

Puro Karting

Sep 15, 2022
    #6 Puro, Mar 25, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Yeah not sure why they keep using JBL. Seems a strange company to partner with on such a high-end car. Hopefully they’ll offer the new system on all cars going forward.

7. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    You only need to carry a small square of alcantara with you. One centimeter by one centimeter square is sufficient. Whatever car you are in, just take the alcantara out of your pocket and it will immediately sound like a studio reference system.

8. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Actually stuff the the small swatch of alcantara in each ear when using the base system and it will immediately sound better
    As for using JBL, Ferrari began using them when they were part of Chrysler who in turn used JBL as their upgrade system.
    Some of the high end car systems do sound pretty good but realistically don’t hold a candle to well done in home systems. Soundstage is hard to do in a car and the various other extraneous noises(road,wind etc$ are variable and hard to correct for. And of course it can’t compete with a whaling V12

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    Alcantara will make a slight difference imo but as said before all ferrari sound systems are bad

10. squishy

squishy Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2022
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve L
    Just FYI: Although JBL manufactures some inexpensive products, they’re also known for sound systems in some high end movie theaters. Also, JBL is part of Harman International (now owned by Samsung), and Harman has some mid-high to high end audio brands in its stable: Arcam, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Revel, etc. I’m not saying that the JBL systems in Ferraris are great, but a lot likely depends on how much freedom they have to design an audio system and how much the car manufacturer want to invest when developing a vehicle.