Alonso`s days at McLaren are numbered | FerrariChat

Alonso`s days at McLaren are numbered

Discussion in 'F1' started by jk0001, Aug 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
  2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
  3. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    Maybe he should try Honda.

They will give him the chance to win a WC.

signed,

Rubens

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It won't happen...Alonso is still on track to win the 2007 WDC at McLaren...you read it here first.

5. M3-ADDICT

M3-ADDICT Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2006
    NOVA
    Ferrari should buy him. Alonso is too much for Mercedes Benz. They don't deserve him. With all the cars being the same, it's obviously the driver who makes what the car is. Look at Renault when Alonso was driving their car. They won and look at renault now. Look a Mercedes Benz last year and look at it this year. It's the driver, not the car.

6. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Maybe it has something to do with 780 pages of specs that no one ever read! And the cow jumped over the moon!

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK - Carefully donning my flame suit at this point:

As the current 2xWDC (OK, one time when he signed with Mcl) he no doubt expected to be the #1 - Who was going to be available in '07 who could "challenge his dominance" within the team?

Then LH arrived from nowhere and all bets are off..... Or, more accurately, all bets are now ON! - In defense of Lucifer (I said I'm already in 3 layers of Nomex here) he has *never* run that team with a Schui' type contract with his drivers - He's always said "let 'em race" - And that's what he's doing IMHO [At least until one of 'em gets ahead - Normally the expected #1 of course.]

Now, FA *obviously* doesn't like it, expecially when you factor in the "British connections". - I can definitely see him going back to Renault - Flav loves him (understandably!), the team would no doubt be inspired (they need some of that) and "everyone" would be happy.

LH becomes the undisputed #1 at Mcl (Maybe Lucifer will get all weird and hire Scott as his team mate :)

And, unfortunately, LH goes on to win many WDC's - Which is nice for him, but sucks if you're a Tifosi....

As always, just my 02c,
    Cheers,
    Ian

8. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    Actually Renault has admitted why they are slow this year. It has very little to do with the current drivers and a lot to do with the car.

9. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    LOL Rubens, did you mean WC as in World Championship or Water Closet, i.e. toilet?

I think he'll still win the WDC. Lewis didn't do himself any favours this weekend and the love fest between him and McLaren may become a lot more business-like. I didn't like how Fernando responded, but it did seem like a team clusterfnck and he got the brunt of it.

I think Alonso has had a lot to do with both Renault's and McLaren's success these past few years, but even I know that it isn't all about the drivers. That being said, Fernando does put in the time testing and developing the car, unlike others who would just rather get in and drive each weekend without regard to the periods inbetween. As much as I'd love to see Ferrari hire Fernando, I just don't think it will happen because of the personalities involved. An emotional driver with an emotional team can either be really good or really bad, depending on how their emotions line up.

10. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    That may be the case, but I have no doubt in my mind that they would be having better results with Alonso at the wheel.

11. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If Lewis was slower, then Fernando wouldn't have a problem at all. It sounds like Fernando wants a Michael and Eddie/Rubens/Felipe situation.

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

However, maybe "expected" rather than "wanted" is the more accurate term? - As I said, when he joined the team he was the two time "king of the world", and was no doubt told "oh yeah, we've got a rookie joining you...."

Now the wheels appear to be falling off because they're both *great* drivers - What a $hitty problem to have.

I just hope SFM can take maximum advantage,

Cheers,
    Ian

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

agreed

14. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I don't think so. I think Fernando believes that he is not being given equal treatment within the team, and being punished for something that Lewis started is adding to that belief. Honestly, I think that Fernando believes that if they are given equal treatment then he will succeed, but it was really after Monaco when Lewis started to complain about being held back that the team had to really start handling this whole relationship very delicately.

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Anyone notice that off the track antics are going off the charts this year? IMO brass realize that the action isn't necessarily on the track these days so to maintain interest they're hyping the sport with all the theatrics. Accident, I think not. ;)

16. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Questioned by the press " Will you remain at McL for 3 years?", FA answered " I don't know, I don't know."

Today the Spanish newspaper Marca had the front page splashed with the following "O Hamilton o yo".

In reality FA wants to leave and at Hungary he did meet with Flavio...and of course if somebody can find a way out of the contract this person is Flavio Briatore, who also happens to be his manager. But for the moment FA is not going to leave on his own initiative. His strategy is clear. Give plenty of rope until the same snaps and let McL be the one to get rid of him.

17. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    History tends to repeat itself. IMO, this is exactly like Prost-Senna's problem at McLaren. Both Prost and Alonso were under the impression that they are #1 in the team since they are proven title winners, and neither one of them expected this much competition from their younger team mates (Senna & now Hamilton) and have no idea on how to handle this situation at all. This same situation almost happened back in 1996 with Hill and JV, but IMO, Frank Williams put a stop to it behind the closed door as IIRC, Hill made a comment on that JV is only a rookie and is still young, he will get his chance at the title, which was proven in 1997 as JV won the 97' title.

This only strengthens my belief on a team can not function properly with two #1 drivers in today's F1 world. It may not be awefully sporting, but it is the reality and necessity for the business front of F1 and its teams.

18. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    +1

I was musing about the samething, there are quite a few parallels to 1988

19. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Prost ended up winning the WDC in '89, leaving the team and went to Ferrari. Perhaps that parallel will continue??????????

20. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    +2

21. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    hahahahahaha clue=0

IF you were in any way even close with this statement everyone of the drivers would have won a race by now as they are all a poofteenth from each other and it is ONLY the cars that are making the difference

somebody mention the "dumbest" post the other day, this is near the top

22. M3-ADDICT

M3-ADDICT Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2006
    NOVA
    Obviously English is your second language. Did you even read what I said. English > You. www.dictionary.com read what I said, then come yabb about it.

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I find again the bias to LH amazing.

Do you know why Alonso did what he did, which yes I agree was a classless move?

Alonso did this because LH BROKE team orders earlier and did not allow Alonso the extra fuel burn laps. Understandably Alonso AND McLaren were very unhappy. Alonso should not have done what he did but LH did the FIRST unsporting move.

I'm 99% finished with F1 anyway. Recent events have proved to me that:
    1. F1 is dead and fncken boring.
    2. Sportsmanship has long gone, thanks to Aryton and MS for that!
    3. There are only 4 competitive cars ... why the heck the others turn up is beyond me?.
    4. LH is going to get every single decision in his favour because Bernie wants the British audience. It is just wrong that he started in the fastest car on the grid, just wrong for the health of the sport (ie. interest) and for his own personal development.

The only fun I'm currently getting is watch Massa fall on his sword, as totally expected. What a pathetic performance that race was ... and yes it is hard to pass on that track, but Alonso made it look easy when passing cr@p cars like that that Massa was held behind for the whole race.
    Pete
    ps:

24. phylotic

phylotic Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 20, 2007
    US/EU
    Full Name:
    Gheorghe

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Thank God there are 4 competitive cars. A few years back there was only one.

You´re so cruel...
    ;-)