Alonso to participate in Formula 1 and the WEC | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Alonso to participate in Formula 1 and the WEC

Discussion in 'F1' started by RWatters, Jan 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    MOVE????

Alonso is only interested in his legacy because in F1 five years from now he'll be a footnote. He knows his F1 career is ending this year.

I don't blame him but this is no "move". It's an opportunity to put a check mark in the history books while everyone remembers Hamilton and then Vettel's records.

This is the same guy who put the sticker "worlds greatest driver" on this car last year. Ego? I think so.

william likes this.
  2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    In your dreams. Alonso is never a footnote. As it stands...right now...he is a top 10 F1 driver in history. Footnote? Please. Everywhere he goes he is the star attraction. He is the biggest name in racing in the world. Some Tuesday morning facts for you.

As for his F1 career being over, ah well, 300 GPs, 2 titles, 30+ wins, multiple Monaco wins and almost 100 podiums ain't too shabby. And everyone knows he would have many more if he made better team choices.

It has to suck hating one of the greatest ever. It's like people who hate Lebron James.

375+ likes this.
  3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Footnote after Hamilton. Alonso will go down at the greatest driver to have made the worst career decisions of all time.

No one gives a crap about the top 10 of ANYTHING.

william likes this.
  4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ok? And Hamilton is a footnote after Schumacher, what's your point?

And yes, people obviously care about the short list of greats in any sport. They don't just remember the most successful and forget everything else. Alonso's legacy as a top 10 F1 driver and possibly the greatest all around driver in history are secure. The Indy 500 win will be the icing on the cake.

Sorry you can't handle that.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hamilton and Schumacher did not race against each other throughout their careers. Hamilton and Alonso did. In the Hamilton era, Alonso is a footnote. In fact, he comes in after Vettel at RB.

william likes this.
  6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    No, a footnote is someone like Nico Hulkenburg. You are really reaching now.

You love to bring up Lewis a lot. Most LH fanboys are Alonso haters...hmmm...

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Niko will also be a footnote. Sorry, it's true. I'm not sure why you can't understand that.

At least Niko can say he beat Hamilton in the same car.

william likes this.
  8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    LOL Alonso has 2 World Championships and is around the top 5 statistically to ever drive even when forced to drive crap for 75% of his career and you're trying to lump him in with Nico Hulkeburg types. By the way I said Hulkenburg not Rosberg, can you read? You are delusional. I have to admit this meltdown of yours is entertaining.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm laughing my butt off at your posts. Hardly a meltdown!

Look, Alonso will go down as the 3rd best F1 driver of his era and probably only because of the poor career decisions he made. He didn't win at title at Ferrari. He hasn't won at McLaren.

5 years from now when people look back at this era it will be Hamilton, Vettel, and Alonso. He knows it which is why he's trying to win other events outside of F1.

And if you look at when he ran at Indy, I was very supportive of him doing it and his complimented his skill and daring during that race. In fact until he broke down I thought he was going to pull it off. How can I be a hater and respect what he did at Indy? How do you square that?

I'm sure there's an aspirin bottle in your medicine cabinet. Take 2 and call us in the morning. :)

william likes this.
  10. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Please keep the responses coming. You have been hilarious.

I think calling the multi world champ a footnote has been my favorite argument. Any other gems to share with us?

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes. Did you find that aspirin yet? I think its too early to recommend a beer. :)

william likes this.
  12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I'm sure you got into the Xanax heavily after Alonso claimed that win Sunday :D

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually I said Alonso drove well and deserved to win. I also said it was a bit of a hollow victory, which it was.

Sorry you can't accept reality.

william likes this.
  14. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Would you call any Mercedes wins from 2014-2016 hollow? Just wondering. They only had to worry about 1 other car for 3 straight years

Etcetera likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not hollow. Lots of competitors. Sometimes Merc lost. Some races very close.

Would you call the F1 race at Indy a "hallow victory" for Schumacher when Michelin pulled out? I would.

Your turn.

william likes this.
  16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yeah it was real close. LOL

Please let me know all of these supposed competitors. Just to clue you in - other cars being on the track doesn't mean they are competitors.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #92 TheMayor, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018

Your thoughts of this race are appreciated... Ferrari vs Minardi and Jordan

Hollow victory for Schumacher? Even Schumacher said so.

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I would say yes because it wasn't a full field. LeMans had a full LMP1 field, the Toyotas were just the fastest cars by a mile sort of like F1 from 2014-16.

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Lovely memories, I actually attended that debacle. Hollow doesn't begin to describe it.

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe Button has said that he has no interest in oval track racing.

william and Bas like this.
  21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I was there too

375+ likes this.
  22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alonso's sudden interest in Indy and Le Mans is just a diversion to give some glory to a F1 career that is tailing off.
    The guy had potential and skill as demonstrated in his 2 titles, years ago, but everything went downhill from there.
    It's mostly because he brings politics wherever he goes, usually criticises openly his team, his car, and ultimately demotivates his crew.
    He is also not adverse to betray the individuals who have put trust in him. Ron Dennis should have taken notice the first time!!
    I predicted when he came back at McLaren that the Spaniard would never win a GP again.
    I may well be proven right very soon !!!

TheMayor likes this.
  23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Or he has done everything in F1 he wants and wishes to embark on new challenges. Do you know Alonso personally to make that statement or are you just pulling it out of your rear end?

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ^He’s done a great job of alienating every team he drove for in F1

william likes this.
  25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Of course Alonso hasn't fallen off with the Toyota team and the other drivers … yet.
    It's still early days, and Toyota is going through its honeymoon period with Alonso.
    The climate within an endurance team is not the same as in an F1 team anyway.
    Team mates don't compete against each other, they share the same cars, and race for the team, not for themselves.
    If any animosity was to arise between 2 drivers, it's the job of the manager to permutate the drivers to keep harmony between the crews.
    So, Alonso being so cheerful after Le Mans isn't a surprise.
    The race went very well for him, they won, and everybody was happy. Hence the back slapping, the embraces and smiles.
    Let's see if that continues if the going gets tough.
    Although I think that Toyota should have no problem winning ALL the races on the calendar. After all, they race against themselves, and have no opposition.
    It's farcical really to spend all that money, when you know already the end result.
    2018/19 World Endurance Champions winners: TOYOTA.
    I guess they have already the t-shirts printed. LOL