Alonso to participate in Formula 1 and the WEC | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Alonso to participate in Formula 1 and the WEC

Discussion in 'F1' started by RWatters, Jan 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nope, just not on here.
    Didja miss me that much? 'Appreciate it. :)

Really? Okay, for the "layman" in the house.

"Oh.", in regard to FA being "one of the true greats of all time", means I don't think so.

Simple enuff for ya? I know it's tuff, but try to think it thru.... :p ;)
    ]

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ^Just a giant PR stunt for Toyota which is why they want Alonso in the seat. No one would give a bit of attention otherwise. Alonso is "news" but the second time no one will care.

If Alonso races at Indy he will get attention but not like the first time. It was the same with Montoya and "the Princess" when she jumped to NASCAR

In fact NASCAR wants Alonso to drive for them. They are hurting.

Pretty soon events will ask Kim Kardashian to drive for them and bring along her 10Million twitter followers...

william likes this.
  3. Very astute of you. And, McLaren never claimed it to be so, either....I thought I suggested that....nay....stated that outright.

Ala Tweety Pie....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    "I deed, I deed, I deed state it outright!!!"..."he wasn't claiming it to be a Hertz "team", just as McLaren didn't last year." (post #66)

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    McLaren didn't

The PRESS and MEDIA did. "Oh isn't it great McLaren is back at Indy!"

No one put an asterisk on that saying it was only a label slap on an Andretti car.

5. Understood. Anything for bs hype. Sorta like fake news....
    I thought you were implying that McLaren itself did. Pardon my misperception. :oops:

6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    ...sigh. I wanted you to share why you don't think so but maybe eye roll emojis are more your speed.

7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Sorry but I do not understand this forum anymore...
    On one side Lewis Hamilton is praised to bring attention to F1 and racing in general just by doing Twitter/Instagram and in the same moment Alonsos DRIVING is criticized as marketing gag.
    Repeatingly the current drivers are criticized for only doing a single class unlike the greats like Hill (who is repeatingly mentioned because of the triple), Moss or others of this generation who did F1, F2, GT.... Now Alonso does exactly what they did and people complain whether it is a relabeled car or a dominant marque he sits in....Looking at the former F1 drivers doing the DTM Touring Cars one could have got the impression that they are only good in F1 but Alonso shows he can compete in different categories. I do not like him as a person but one has to admit his alround accomplishments in different series and the speed he can adapt to them.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I thought this was obvious. It's human nature that people have different opinions.

We all like different things/people, and we feel the need to justify it when questioned, which is ridiculous.

Why do we need to argue endlessly about opinions like if we were in a court of law and our life was depending from it?

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    What is obvious? This is simply unreasonable....
    And if you do not want to justify your opinion in a discussion, what are you actually doing here???

10. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Stirring the pot. Like always.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You are correct!

You do not understand this forum anymore.

william likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's obvious, for example, that opinions are divided about how people perceive Alonso, or Hamilton, or Mercedes, or Ferrari, or the hybrid formula versus atmo engines, or how F1 should be administered, etc...
    Usually people explain their opinions in simple terms, only for some participants to take that dead serious, asking for proofs and trying to convince them they are wrong.
    This is where it gets out of hands, tempers flare, personal attacks follow, usually ending in a ban for one party. We have seen it all before.
    People like to pigeonhole others; you are a Hamilton lover, or a Alonso hater, etc...and there is no in-between, like if it was a religious war.
    There is a myriad of subjects we can disagree regarding F1, and some people (a small minority) like to turn this into a crusade, and make the forum atmosphere unpleasant at time.
    We are all supposed to be following the same sport, but we have individual feelings and different perspectives. There is no party line.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Read AutoSport today. It’s says exactly what said: Toyota put Alonso on the team for PR value and got what they wanted — more eyeballs watching them race.

But I’m the “hater”.....

william likes this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    We are in good company then ...

15. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    You mean like this?
    OK, understood ;)

16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Lame...
    And again: what is wrong with that??? Alonso made PR by DRIVING, not by simply opening his mouth or posting a tweet.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

"What, every day?" was a mild tongue-in-cheek comment and far from a personal attack anyway.

I will no pretend for one minute that I am an angel either, but some people really push the exchange too far at time, because you do not meet their opinions, or they don't like yours.

18. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well done Alonso and the Toyota team! Nice to see a current and competitive F1 driver going for it in another series.

P.Singhof likes this.
  19. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    My mistake...when one does it himself it is only "tongue-in-cheek" whereas it is a personal attack when others do. How could I get that wrong ;)

TifosiUSA likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The Alonso/Toyota victory at Le Mans was stage managed curtesy of the ACO, and you don't like people commenting on it?

It hasn't reached scandal proportions, but people who know a bit about endurance rules understood that the ACO was preparing the stage for Toyota, that happened to have Alonso the self-proclaimed "Best Driver in the World" in its ranks.

There wasn't much of a "race" in LMP1 last weekend;what people saw was a "dog and pony show" . What's wrong with that you ask.?

Excuse us if we don't buy it as a great win..

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Of course it wasn’t a great win, but it wasn’t a gimme either. Any win at lemans is hard fought. Everyone knows that - especially those who ‘know about about endurance ruies’ as you say. And it is extremely rare for a top current F1 driver to participate. I think it’s great that Alonso did it. The rest of the grid should follow the example and have a go in other formulas.

TifosiUSA and P.Singhof like this.
  22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    No, the win was given by Porsche and Audi leaving. I still do not understand why you want to punish Toyota for that, the team that itself fought for the victory in previous years preventing the race in 2017 and 2016 from becoming the snooze fest you now complain about in 2018.
    The teams can be glad that you are not in charge, imagine one spends a fortune in a several years plan to win Le Mans and you take it away from them because you think it might not become an interesting race.
    And you complain on one side that people over here are so harsh when others are not their opinion and then you state something like "but people who know a bit about endurance rules understood that the ACO was preparing the stage for Toyota..." implying that if someone does not share your opinion simply don´t know a bit about the rules....Seriously, that is more than lame and you do not even get it....

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Most F1 drivers are bound by contract not to race in any other series, and you can understand why.
    Apart from the fact that F1 offers 21 races a year, there are insurance problems, and the sponsors and teams alike don't relish the prospect of their star taking risks in another form of competition where the field is mostly amateurs of various talents, and on a circuit with less safety features than their usual playground.
    Also, some teams want their drivers to focus only on F1, at the exclusion of everything else.
    And this is what is reproached to Alonso; he is not adverse to forego a GP to go and race Stateside, for example, or to contemplate racing in different categories to suit his whims, instead of concentrating on F1.

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol yup. Classic william.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The role of an organiser is to ensure an even playing field, and there are rules in motor racing to close a class or a category if there isn't a minimum quota of participants.
    There were 3 teams in LMP1 hybrid in the past Two teams withdrew successively from the arena, so Toyota was left alone. That's not a quota.

The ACO had maintained the LMP1 category(non hybrid). In view of the lack of competition in LMP1 hybrid the ACO had left to understand, when Porsche's withdrawal was officially announced, that it would ensure level playing field" for LMP1 and LMP1 hybrid .
    By adjusting the "equivalence of technology" the ACO could have brought the 2 category towards more or less similar performances . That solution seemed to satisfy everyone. That would have satisfy the quota need, and guarantied an exiting race.

Just before the official tests, the ACO changed its tune, and announced that the difference between hybrid and non-hybrid would stay.
    Imagine the furore among the teams that have been conned to enter a race with no chance of doing well.
    The Toyota had the advantage of FWD, and an extra 350hp compared to a simple LMP1. The lap times tell the story.
    I don't make the figures, They are from Hughes de Chaunac, the boss or ORECA who built the Toyota chassis, and also the Rebellion cars.
    You couldn't find a more knowledgeable person., so he should know. He was disgusted, so were several commentators.

Of course Toyota could have raced, with parity with non-hybrid cars.ACO protected them in their publicity stunt.
    That victory is hollow, which ever way you look at it. I consider it as one of the biggest frauds in motor racing
    No one will ever take that impression away from me.