Alternative tires for F430C / first challenge car | FerrariChat

Alternative tires for F430C / first challenge car

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Performify, Jul 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I've been fortunate enough to acquire a F430 Challenge car with intended use for HPDE and eventually expanding into time trials as i have more time for more seat time.

I am also fortunate to have multiple tracks within a couple hours -- however, one of them hasn't been really well maintained over the years and i've been told the surface is so rough it will eat a set of slicks alive in a weekend.

Does anyone have a recommendation for running anything besides the Pirelli slicks in 235/645-19 (#2091900) and 295/680-19 (#2579500)? Any general advice on alternative tires?

I would love to be able to run a set of street tires or r-compounds depending on the circumstances -- any reason that i couldn't run the general dimensions that the 430 run, e.g. 235/35/19 and 285/35/19, on a spare set of the Challenge centerlocks?

Any general advice / recommendations for a first time besides all the time i've been spending searching through the archives here?

2. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would say that given running costs, you probably want slicks anyway. DOT R should be ok, IMO. On my car, I think I’d only use slicks. (458GT3).

Gh21631 and Performify like this.
  3. RPatrick

RPatrick Rookie

Nov 28, 2012
    >>I've had great luck with Michelin slicks. 24/65-19 on the front, 29/67-19 on the back. They're a medium compound versus the hard compound on the Pirellis that I never liked. I rolled the fender lip on the front of the car and cut the lip back on the back of the car to avoid any chance of rubbing. Note that the stock tires rubbed like crazy on the front and I had to roll the lip for them. Tried racy street tires but they burned up within a few laps. My tracks are Laguna and Sears so I can speak of the Michelins working well there. A Michelin track support guy told me about these tires and I can't thank him enough. Watch out for used centerlocks because they can loose their bite on the nut with use. Recently I bought brand new rims from BBS USA for peanuts compared to the used rims on the web.

JL350 and Performify like this.
  4. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Awesome. Much appreciated @RPatrick

did you have any specific details on the BBS order or just called BBS USA and asked for a set of f430 Challenge rims ?