Am I crazy for thinking I want a Aventador SVJ rather than a Pista? | FerrariChat

Am I crazy for thinking I want a Aventador SVJ rather than a Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Thecadster, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So let me get this out of the way at the onset, I love Ferrari. So this is NOT a Ferrari bashing thread. I know this is Fchat and that allegiances tend to lean in the direction of Ferrari, but at the same time, I have found this forum to be strikingly balanced in its treatment of other makes/models. I have a F12 currently, and my 812 that I ordered almost 14 months ago will finally (FINALLY!!) be here in May/June. I tried unsuccessfully to get a Pista without the Lusso/Portofino maneuver. In tandem with that effort, I was trying to secure an SVJ alllcation (I have a Huracan Performante right now). I had all but given up on both, when my phone rang today with a Lamborghini dealer calling me about an open SVJ allocation. It’s worth noting, I love my HP and I am a solid “end of an era normally aspirated engine” kind of fella. My plan was to have my 812 and my HP be permanent keepers, and rotate a third car over time. Maybe bounce from a 720, to a 488 replacement, to Aventador replacement, and so forth. I love cars. And now this opportunity came up and I am trying to assess just how “special” this opportunity is.

So here is my question, I am new to this, my first Ferrari was my F12 and that was purchased in July of 2017, just how much more desirable long-term would an SVJ be versus a Pista? Many seem to think that more Pista’s might become available in the ensuing months. Meanwhile, the SVJ coupe will be quite limited with only around 232 making it stateside. Which car would be easier (read cheaper) to pick up in the next several years were I to want one? The MSRP on the SVJ is $6ish and the Pista is mid to upper-mid $4’s, both currently have significant secondary market premiums that will, in all likelihood, ease quickly over the ensuing months. But what about a couple years from now?

Last point, I will be happy whichever direction go. After all, these are first world problems. Regardless of which car I move into or out of, I will thoroughly enjoy the hell out of (and more importantly, drive the hell out of) whatever car(s) I have. I just trying to be smart and maybe even stretch my funds if at all possible.

2. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I had a deposit on the SVJ but cancelled it. I love the look of it but when I heard how many they're building I backed out. Basically they're building 900 coupes and god knows how many roadster and maybe a few one offs so it's not a rare car nor is it limited because non-Lambo owners have got allocation. Dealers will claim only "xxx" SVJ's are coming stateside but what they forget to mention is they'll be less SV's than SVJ's stateside so which is rarer? And the other "lie" dealers are paddling is the SVJ is the last NA V12. Is that true? Not really. Lamborghini has already announced the replacement will have the V12 but have hybrid assistance so they can skirt the EU emission regulations.

So looking at the bigger picture the SVJ is just another variant of the Aventador which imo is a dated platform that desperately needs to be replaced. If you want a rare Aventador get the 50th anniversary Aventador or a SV. But none of these models including the SVJ will shoot up in value any time soon and from what I gather the replacement Aventador will be pretty epic so imagine you're waiting to take delivery of your SVJ and the replacement A is announced. Tell me who's going to want a SVJ? So back to your original question, I would take the Pista over the SVJ. It's more of a safe bet imo.

3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I forgot to mention, the SVJ is built and I would have it shortly. While I am not a flipper, I would be getting it soon enough to have increased flexibility as the cars become more available through the course of the year.

4. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Not crazy. Good question.

My thinking is it’s all about the last of what. Speciale was the last mid engined v8 NA. That’s easy to place in the market and values have reflected that positioning.

SVJ is based on the Aventador face lift S which is an end of an era. Highly unlikely next Big Lambo will still be NA V12 without any induction or electric assist.

Pista as impressive as it is, is just the first special series. Not limited number run (only time limited) and Ferrari may build more. Or not. The 488FL is coming in March and the special series of the FL is due after which Pista should plummet. Speciale would hold its place as last NA v8, and 488FL will likely be last turbo only non electric v8, leaving Pista in a bit of a conundrum. Some might say look at the Scud vs Speciale and that hasn’t hurt Scud values, which would be a valid point. It will largely depends on how good the Pista will age vs its face lifted version, and more importantly how many Pistas there are. And I can tell you, quite a few vs Scuderias.

My smart money is on the SVJ: end of an era, limited production (though marred by another LE 66 production run, Lambo cheating!). Future values will hold better than Pista which will be displaced by the 488FL special series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakeen and Thecadster like this.
  5. DRYHOLE

DRYHOLE Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Dallas + Seaside, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dryhole
    SVJ very well equipped has an msrp of $570,000. I have attached the window sticker of one I viewed recently in Dallas. The car should be seen in person as pictures do not correctly reflect many aspects of the changes to the body. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecadster likes this.
  6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    All good points for sure and I certainly appreciate the feedback. Here are a couple follow ups questions. My understanding was that while the SVJ was more plentiful than SV, it would always enjoy a preferred status. This best in class position due in large part to critical refinements (more HP, lighter, ALA, 4ws) along with key distinguishing characteristics (the inclusion of the “J”, the Ring record which likely won’t ever be broken by a pure NA production car). The Aventador replacement might not be a better car? More powerful for sure with the hybrid assist, but much heavier too and correspondingly less fun to drive in the twisty’s? Just my thoughts, which again, I am a novice.

7. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    no idea...but, how are SV values doing? Haven't looked.

boobernackle and Thecadster like this.
  8. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Tanking.

Anywhere from $50k-$100k drop depending on spec and miles from the sticker hence why I would personally stay away from the SVJ. Limited Lambo's don't hold up very well, take a look at the Murci SV which is finally shooting up in value but there's also less than 200 worldwide.

Thecadster likes this.
  9. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005

Let me put another way, Ferrari and I would say Porsche cater to a different buyer and allocate cars differently. Lamborghini on the other hand doesn't care about VIP allocations so anyone can pretty much buy a limited Lambo and majority of Lambo buyers are younger, new money and want the newest model.

Your logic makes sense that the SVJ sould hold value because it's the last Aventador variant but look at the people who buy Lambo's. In regards to the replacement, it might be heavier but it'll have more HP so it'll be faster, it'll be loaded with tech and the exterior design will be pretty insane from what I've heard. As insane as the SVJ looks right now it will look dated once the replacement is out so when majority of the buyers want the latest and greatest it's hard to convince them to pay say $600k for a SVJ when the replacement is the same or less. Hope I made sense. I've played the game with Lamborghini for a long time and I've lost a lot of money so I'm really cautious how approach their so called "limited" models.

Makuono, 09Scuderia and Thecadster like this.
  10. Is there any recent Lambo that would be considered collectible?

Shadowfax and Thecadster like this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I also passed on SVJ. I like the last SV’s looks better and the exhaust note isn’t as sweet as well.
    Big production numbers.

But, the car is baller compared to the pista if that matters.

Both good cars.

Thecadster and Ash Patel like this.
  12. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Have you ever driven an Aventador?
    I did. Before buying the Huracan and the Huracan Performante I wanted to buy an Aventador. One of my best friends was a very important manager there and suggested me to try it before ordering it. So I had an Aventador for one week and chose the Huracan.
    Gearbox is single clutch and if you are used to a double it feels terrible. Car is heavy and you feel it.
    SVJ is a GREAT car and its look is awesome. If it is for investment only it can be the answer. If you want to enjoy and drive it, it's another story ;)
    IMHO

13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My friend just got one. He seems to think it will hold its value and might go up. I on the other hand am not so sure. Sweet looking car for sure but Lambo is just different than Ferrari in terms of drivability.

Nothing turns heads like a Lambo when it pulls up but driving it is a whole different ballgame.

14. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I agree referred to the Aventador but Huracan (especially Performante) are easy to take to the limit. Easier than a 488 ;)

Thecadster and SoCal to az like this.
  15. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I toyed with the idea of getting the original SV, but decided not to. The car is BIG and you feel it when you drive it. It is an old school supercar and I don’t mind the single clutch gearbox, however I like cars I can drive on narrow, twisty, mountain roads and a SV/SVJ is not that kind of car. If you are looking for presence, noise, and V12 power it is a great buy, however it is a very different proposition to the Pista. I also find the interior a little claustrophobic...In terms of value, I don’t think either car will do particularly well. “Limited”/exclusive cars have been helped enormously by the current supercar bubble; too many people who do not understand how to value cars are buying them as investments and in my opinion they’re in for a cold shower.
    Personally I have no idea why the Speciale is holding its value so well (the last N/A story is very weak in my view), but I don’t think it is more valuable than my 512BB or my 360 Challenge Stradale. They are both more important cars for Ferrari in my opinion and rarer than a Speciale (and I owned 2 so you can’t call me biased). However even if one considers the Speciale price normal, what about a 911R at 50-60% more than a 360CS (when a GT3 Touring does the same thing) or a 997 GT3 RS 4.0 (great car but not more valuable than a 360CS)?

My personal view is to buy what you like. The SVJ will undoubtedly give you a lot of joy. A Pista will too. When you come to sell either car, depreciation will be less than the comparable regular series model which undoubtedly adds to the attraction.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

LARRYH, Shamile, Bhh and 8 others like this.
  16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    What a shame you have to apologise for wanting another car from another brand. There are too many posts, usually from people promoting other brands but not always, that make such a choice combative and where the undertone is “I chose mine because yours is not worth choosing.”

Anyway...there is something about the Aventador that makes it more satisfying as an object than the Pista. It looks more solid and bespoke and certainly like most people’s idea of what a supercar should be like. It is based on a much more expensive platform - carbon, V12 n/a - and looks meaner and well, rather wonderful. Since neither car is an investment I don’t think there is a wrong choice unless driving is on top of yur list of reasons to own. I can’t say I have driven an SVJ so obviously my comments have to be taken in context but driving an Aventador is much more difficult because of the weight of the V12 engine, quite high up over the rear axle, the single clutch box, the size of it making it harder to place on tight roads and the (IMO) unreasonably hard ride - it is unlikely that the SVJ changes these features of the Aventador platform. The Pista is a different animal, lighter, smaller, DCT, 2wd, less of a beast along a windy fast road more a car that works with you.

Many tend to say that driving is the main thing in a way that dismisses any other viewpoint as somehow less worthy. But there are other good reasons to choose a particular car. Sometimes we just have the urge to own something for reasons we can’t explain, could be the looks, the sound, the fact it is a less-obvious choice or a mix of any number of small details that we happen to love about the car. I often think that is why journalists justify a car that drives imperfectly as ‘perfect’. The weaknesses add character so they say. I completely understand that but maybe it is that for the non-driving reasons a car just endears itself to people and the driving weaknesses don’t diminish that feeling. Indeed, more than that, these weaknesses provide a sort of intimacy as you learn the car. I could easily guess the that SVJ is a car that some find like that. Not to mention the fact that future cars may well be better than both in the driving department so the car as an object rather than a driving tool has much more say in how it is valued in 10 or 20 years time (though Ferrari has a far stronger following and demand and future supply always has the last say).

If you are buying the SVJ because it is more attainable, I think that answers your question about values, at least in the first few years, but if it is a car you plan to keep maybe that doesn’t matter? My only word of caution (based on what I know I would struggle with - impatience) is that if you are trying to persuade yourself into the SVJ simply because it is available here and now, that could be a mistake. But if you’re sure that isn’t the case, there is no wrong choice and only you have the best answer. Do you love it, even for its faults?

17. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    I completely agree .... I’m totally a ferrari guy but also a general petrolhead.
    I got a slot for the Roadster SV and specced a massive spec intending to keep it . I did 1100 v fun miles in 8 summer months in it inbetween driving my F cars but recently sold the SV- I’d had my fix and was over it in a few months whereas my f cars always keep me coming back for more . I took a significant hit on my SV when I sold it but expected too as I only buy cars to enjoy not to earn. If the SVJ gives you goosebumps more than the Pista when you drive it then go SVJ, however longtem i think you’ll get more fun more regularly from the Pista .... as far as the depreciation , well predicting that is voodoo magic so “ fill your boots” with your choice , enjoy it and never have “buyers or sellers remorse “.

montpellier, Shack, uhn2000 and 3 others like this.
  18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Just don't expect these cars are sound investments. I have not driven a SVJ before. Does it drive as well as a HP?

Thecadster likes this.
  19. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I think the initial crazy premium of 911R is a pure evil marketing gimmick of Porsche. Last NA, last manual, no big wings.. blah blah blah, and boom, here comes the touring with manual.

The once 1 million dollars 911R now is 300k. Doesn't matter if you are 1/911.

My point is don't pay too much attention to the aura of the exclusivity permeated by the manufacturer and its fanboys. You may have better luck with certain stocks.

Bhh, dhari, sampelligrino and 4 others like this.
  20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    One thing to consider about the aventador- I don’t know how tall you are but I’m 6’4” and frankly I can fit in a Pam I. Almost bought a performante but just couldn’t get my body comfortable as it’s not made for tall people.

I have zero issues in my 488 and 720 with regards to comfort. Something to consider. And I agree with Lukey- no reason to apologize for wanting something else. We are all enthusiasts here. F cars are great but so are others.

21. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #21 IPO1, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    IF you're in it for resale--get Pista.

Other than that the SVJ is a beast and why it owns Ring record (6:44.97). With 770HP, V12...come on...it's not even close. SVJ would get my vote and my money if I were buying to actually enjoy and drive the hell out of...you have other cars for other purposes.

Just buy right up front and enjoy it. SVJ for win...but let's face it, either one you buy you win.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    As much as I prefer the Performante for its lighter, more nimble driving dynamics, The AV, is a thrill ride like no other, besides the fact that it is an artistic masterpiece. Just gazing at it elicits a sense of awe. Personally, excessive chatter about depreciation, future values etc. Does one avoid taking a luxurious holiday due to the fact that there is no monetary value attached to it?

23. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Wisdom.

Bhh, dhari, Makuono and 1 other person like this.
  24. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Wisdom indeed with one small detail: the people who spend half a million dollars on the same basis that they book a luxury holiday (ie with no regard for the cars’ residual value) are far, far fewer than the people queuing up right now clutching deposits

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Well... almost everyone likes VJ so go for it!

Thecadster likes this.