Am I expecting too much? 458 is bad condition? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Am I expecting too much? 458 is bad condition?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by American, Aug 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    I have to agree with this as the OP. Im always open to opinions myself.

Strictly business, if so many posters are telling me to stay away from this vehicle, it means statistically, I will likely have trouble when reselling such vehicle.

That being said, I did factor in cost of repair. And unfortunately, it isn't cheap to repair it to its former glory, not to mention having to explain to a future buyer why there is paint work on the car.

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Correct !

This one is an example of a bad dealership. Realize that a cheap Ferrari does not exist.

3. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #53 Ash Patel, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    For me it says that the previous owner used the car maybe as a daily and did not have it as a garage queen which is something positive for me.

My car has stone chips in the front, a cracked diffusor in the back and has been tracked the hell out of it by the previous owner, I guess I'm done ;)

I've also done aprox 15 000 KM /10 000 miles with it in 2 months of ownership and washed it (only) 2 times, I do not know if others on this forum see me as disrespectful towards the brand/car? The only thing I want to do is to drive the hell out of the car, as long as it is good mechanically I don't care if it looks dirty or has some minor damages which does not affect the performance.

Btw: My present 458 goes a lot better than my previous 458 which was never used on the track and was in mint condition and a garage queen. I'm also faster than other 458s on a rolling start in my current 458, even though it looks like **** and potential buys (when It's time to sell) will run away from it LOL :)

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Depends on your sensibilities. I must have a pristine car in every way. That is why I made up my mind 5 years ago to only buy new or a demo. It makes me crazy to have cars of this ilk looking worn in any way. Little signs such as a worn bolster seat or light scratches on wheels etc. If you are not bothered by minor cosmetic blemishes or interiors that look used, but the car is otherwise in excellent mechanical condition, and if the price is attractive, then go for it.

bberg009 likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Driving it as fine; I respect that....not washing and treating it like a consumers product not really my thing. Ferraris are special and should be cared for in my book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I agree with you on these thoughts.

7. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Brilliant- using the car for its correct purpose.

Well done Ash

Regards

Michael

QUOTE=Ash Patel;145544605]For me it says that the previous owner used the car maybe as a daily and did not have it as a garage queen which is something positive for me.

My car has stone chips in the front, a cracked diffusor in the back and has been tracked the hell out of it by the previous owner, I guess I'm done ;)

I've also done aprox 15 000 KM /10 000 miles with it in 2 months of ownership and washed it (only) 2 times, I do not know if others on this forum see me as disrespectful towards the brand/car? The only thing I want to do is to drive the hell out of the car, as long as it is good mechanically I don't care if it looks dirty or has some minor damages which does not affect the performance.

Btw: My present 458 goes a lot better than my previous 458 which was never used on the track and was in mint condition and a garage queen. I'm also faster than other 458s on a rolling start in my current 458, even though it looks like **** and potential buys (when It's time to sell) will run away from it LOL :)[/QUOTE]

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The purpose of owning a high performance sports car is the thrill of the drive. But owning an object d'art like a Ferrari and not having the pride of ownership to not bother caring for it or keep it clean is beyond my comprehension. For me, part of the joy of the ownership experience is to wash it, properly detail it and maintaing it in a pristine condition. Will not tolerate driving a dirty car and will openly admit that when I see a high end car being driven in a continuously filty state, my opinion of the owner is not good.

9. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Wow, I'm out of words on this one... LOL

10. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I once owned a Ferrari. It was dirty a few times. It even got dented. For the love of Ferrari its a good thing I'm not an owner any longer.

GT

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Your comments correlate driving your car with it inevitably being dirty and in rough cosmetic condition. You actually can drive your car and even track it and still have it look pristine. The two are not mutually exclusive. The fact that you have no regard for your car's appearance is your business.

12. SoCalDan

SoCalDan Rookie

Jun 22, 2011
    I saw this car today as well. It's on consignment and well optioned. Two weeks ago I was told the seller is local (OC). Today, another salesman told me the seller lives in Beverly Hills. I imagine this car has seen a valet parking lot more than a few times, but that's speculation based on the damage. It recently had a service (an oil change?) at the dealer apparently (I didn't see the paperwork). As the OP showed, the cosmetic issues are very apparent and some of fairly easy and somewhat inexpensive to fix, which begs the question of why not address? Other issues will be costly to repair properly. The interior is clean and has warn well for the "high miles". I noticed dry radiator fluid around the reservoir in the engine bay (noting serious I assume).

It's interesting reading everyone's comments here. The car is one of the cheapest available in the nation and according to the salesman the seller is somewhat willing to adjust the price in accordance with the cosmetic damages to the car. Overall, I think it can be a great deal for someone looking for a driver, pending a clear thorough PPI.

13. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    all what you have is cosmetic exterior things which it can easily painted, wrapped..etc. The owner was using it normally and luckily happen

you can drop the price on fixing these parts, fixe it with wrapping the car..

what about service? mechanical, technical conditions..

Then have a decision

14. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    it all depends on the PPI, service history and selling price. If everything checks out and the car is priced like 100k, everyone would still jump on it. Hell there was a 458 with almost 100k miles selling for 85k and it was sold in less than a week. It all depends on the price and if you want to spend the time and effort to bring the car back to perfect condition

bberg009 and Afonsolaw like this.
  15. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Parts and service are so expensive for these cars I can't imagine spending 100 thousand dollars on one of these cars and praying that it will still not have any issues at 100k miles. But these is an ass for every seat!

16. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    Hi Alfonsolaw, I agree.. it may also be an age issue. If it is a 2011 or later, at least a few more services are covered... But $85k 458 is an awsome deal (if it runs).. throw in $30-$50k for cosmetics, and you might have a great car.. but I would definitely have your local Ferrari dealership check out the mechanics (or a trusted mechanics).. I like many said, there are no cheap Ferraris, but you may get a good deal..

17. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Not for me... I like my cars in pristine condition so this would not be something I would be happy with.

18. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    For myself, I agree, but I might buy such a car for my boys in their 20s.. it is a cheap way to get into a decent car...

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Never spoil the boys ...

Make them realize it takes a while to buy a Ferrari, not to get one from dad ... :)

Afonsolaw likes this.