Another 308 GT4 up for Sale… Unmolested? | FerrariChat

Another 308 GT4 up for Sale… Unmolested?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dyerhaus, Apr 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    After the "record sale" of the Euro 308 GT4 on BAT for $141,000, another Euro 308 GT4 is being offered by Issimi. This one baffles me a bit as they make the claim it's "unmolested" (which is amusing anyway when it comes to the 308 GT4). In this case, they really need to define what they mean by "unmolested" — the way it left the factory? The way it left the dealer? The modifications made by the original owner? The things that happened to it while it sat unsold for five years??

Here's the link if you want to take a look at it, it's a lovely car, but I don't think it's unmolested:

https://www.issimi.com/products/1976-ferrari-308-gt4

Here's the things I find peculiar about the car…
    1. It's a Euro model, has supposedly never been to the US or out of Italy, but it has US bumpers. The ad notes this, but offers no explanation for it.
    2. It's a 1976 model (chassis 12100, build 931), which should make it a Series II car, but it has a Series I front end (complete with Dino badge).
    3. It has 16-inch wheels which weren't an option in 1976… but, the dealer could have put these on as it wasn't sold until 1981.
    4. Instead the "Dino 308gt4" script badge on the rear trunk, it has the "Ferrari" script badge, which was never a thing done at the factory (maybe the dealer though).
    5. They seem to have strategically left out any full interior photos, only tightly cropped photos of the interior are seen. One part not visible are the door panels, so we can't see the speaker grills (which are often cut out because someone along the way added new speakers). Is that the case with this one?
    6. There's some weird round gauge looking thing to the upper left of the stereo slot.
    7. It has the cavallino rampante in the center of the front grille.
    All the being said, it still looks to be a great car, and based on current sales, seems to be a good deal. I wouldn't call it an "unmolested" car, there's clearly been some changes made. And it would be really good to know the history of this car, they don't make any mention of records or much else, other than it was one of the last two sold. I think this car probably has a good story behind it. Thoughts?

JuLiTrO likes this.
  2. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    There are so many people pulling the trigger without doing a minimum of research on the model, despite the vast ammount of information available these days.
    They will burn their fingers when market cools down

lagunacc and dyerhaus like this.
  3. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    Very true. I understand the desire of wanting one, and the "urgent need" to buy one before they get even more expensive, but people need to do their research and understand exactly what they're buying. Never trust the seller—more often than not with the 308 GT4, they rarely seem to know what they're talking about.

Case in point, I passed on a silver '75 model for $25,000 (this was when $25,000 was a typical price). The car had too many problems, a lot of missing parts, and wasn't actually running at the time I looked at it. I also passed on a black '75 model that I could have got for $25,000 or less (it sold for $16,000, and this is back when these were $40,000 cars). It had even more missing parts, and some serious butchering (home made sunroof). These cars just weren't worth it to me, but someone bought them!

4. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    It's also funny the ad states this of the 308 GT4:

"It's also a 2+2, the first mid-engined 2+2 in history (and the only one, at least until the Lotus Evora)."

I guess they forgot about the Lamborghini Urraco (1972) and the Ferrari Mondial (1980). There could be others, but I didn't do any research into that. The Urraco and Mondial just immediately leapt to mind.

BDorr and Patrick Dixon like this.
  5. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Looks nice. I bet it was originally destined for the USA, then never made it onto the boat for some reason. I note the lack of US emissions equipment (no air pump, nor canisters), but maybe that stuff was only for the later series cars.

dyerhaus likes this.
  6. TCBoiler

TCBoiler Rookie

Dec 7, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    No US side markers either. Nice photos from Monza. My GT4 is very jealous!

dyerhaus likes this.
  7. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    Very cool. Would love to know full history of this car.