Another Diff Bites The Dust… | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Another Diff Bites The Dust…

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by RQtetto, Jan 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Not sure it makes sense to do one in the car given the aggravation to avoid just dropping it out and 3hrs is too lean when you clean everything, change axle seals, install new bearings and install it minus a crown gear to check preload. Then if no adjustment is required you install it again with the crown gear to check backlash and pattern. I haven't had to adjust one yet but Ive heard the odd one does. Mine are all within a tenth so it depends how accurately made the originals were not to mention if they were ever tampered with during previous repairs effecting setup. If you have to adjust then that adds time and a possible shim charge particularly the large RH shim.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the 3 hours are when the engine is out and all cleaned already, so only changing the diff. but then also only when you don´t have to adjust anything and all is matching.

to do this job with engine in the car I never said to do this, but others here in the community said it would be ok also

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Best imo is to exchange te diff when the engine is out. :)

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Cleaning "everything" is outside of the service labour time so your 3hrs is still misleading. Try charging 3 hrs to do a diff job plus book time on a belt service and see where you end up.

5. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I have change three; Basicly if you do it first time, clean everything, do it really accurately so you do not get leak from driveshaft side and you do not need to open evrything afterwards. Engine in car, nothing exploded it takes me one day to to get evrything out and change bearings, even get bearing preload in range in first day. Second day I would change shimms coulple of times under that bearing and get good contact. on third day I would get everything back. So reality after done this three times is 3 days engine in, you do not want to rush this one fast.

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    How old was your belt when it broke?

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how old in km/miles and in time please

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  9. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I just heard about one diff going bad couple of weeks ago, not from my country, owner can comment if reads this.

I saw picture from diff and it was diff halfshaft (not driveshaft) cut broken out from left side, there was no better bicture, so I don't know how bad was rest of diff or gearbox.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for the link clark
    was reading all.

but 4 years and not even 10k miles?
    sure oil can destroy the belts or even make them "soapy". that is why I never use synthetic oil, because this is more aggressiv to rubber than normal mineral oil

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ask him to react here please Mikael !

12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I have some pictures on my phone. I'll put them up when the car is finished.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx Brad !

14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Well I got the car back about 5 days ago and it feels as strong as the last day I drove it. It had been at my mechanic for 6 months. Anyway $18.5k in service later, I now have a car with an upgraded diff. and gold kit. Doesn't get much better than that :) Car was solid and reliable before but now it is bomb-proof. Also replaced some axle boots while the motor was out and did the major service along with a stripped brake proportioning valve and line. I also had to have some machine custom shims for the differential. And A new waterpump seal (apparently these are flaky after ferrari switched suppliers). I made sure to save the belts and they look near perfect after 7 years of use. Which just goes to show you if you drive your Testarossa, then you can wait at least 8-10 years before doing the major. If you don't then you're stuck doing it every five.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what valve you mean? never heard about a proportioning valve

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

18,5k? Jeez that’s a lot. An upgraded diff is like 5k service is another 8k what made it go from 13k to 18,5k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melvok likes this.
  17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Must be the "GOLD kit" ... :D

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.