Any 550 Maranello issues? | FerrariChat

Any 550 Maranello issues?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by walters1939, Jun 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walters1939

walters1939 Karting

Nov 14, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Walters
    I am considering purchasing a 550 Maranello. I have owned Ferrari's in the past (330GT 2+2, 275GTB, and 308GTB 4 valve), but it has been many years since I owned one. The early cars were relatively easy to maintain and great to drive. Having read many of the forum postings I am somewhat concerned by comments as to cost of maintenance and lack of reliability in the newer models. How does the 550 rank in those categories? Anything I should particularly watch for? Any help would be appreciated.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #2 toggie, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    David,

The Ferrari 550 is an incredible car. One of the best kept secrets amongst Ferrari owners.
    It is as beautiful design-wise as a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona coupe and as reliable as a Lexus.
    It goes a top speed of 199 mph and is a torque monster that always brings a smile while accelerating.
    And it has a trunk to store luggage for overnight trips for you & your lady or will hold a medium-size golf bag.

A search of this forum will reveal about 20 small things to look for such as:
    - modern replacements for the original radiator hoses (especially the one under the plenum),
    - sagging original engine mounts (fixed with 575M engine mounts),
    - sticky interior knobs & switches (fixed by www.stickynomore.com),
    - shrinking or bubbling leather on the upper dash, steering wheel, and passenger airbag cover,
    - recalled original magnesium wheels (replaced by Ferrari with aluminum alloy wheels),
    - chips & nicks and evidence of prior repairs in the front spoiler,
    - vertical scratch marks on the low side of the driver's seat due to hitting of rings & watches while pulling up the parking brake,
    - be careful of prior owners installing custom stereos and cutting speaker holes and adding boom boxes where they shouldn't be,
    - how much better sounding and lighter the Tubi exhausts are compared to the stock exhausts,
    - how much better looking the 575M 19" modular wheels are on it, etc.

The best thing is to buy the best one you can find on the market at the time.

Good luck. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ddnguyen

ddnguyen Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Hi David-

550s are one of the most reliable and problem free modern ferraris if the few major known issues (listed pretty comprehensively by toggie) are resolved. Most owners and mechanics would agree I would think. Try doing a search on 550 reliability and you will see most folks have very few issues with them.

Good luck with the search!

Regards,
    Duane

4. walters1939

walters1939 Karting

Nov 14, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Walters
    Thanks for the information. It supports what I have felt from looking at various websites. Really appreciate the checklist of things to look for.

5. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    My 456MGT had bad gas tank seals. The 550 has the identical set up I believe.

They start to fail sometimes at around ten years.

The test is simple.

Sniff the trunk. If it smells like gas, don't worry, it's a relatively simple fix.

There's a thread in the tech section on the seals.

Some people believe the hypothesis put forth by Michael Sheehan, that these things will all die because nobody will be able to make the bloody computers work some day.

I like Mike but don't by into the hypothesis.

6. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Here is a list that I have put together from Fchat posts and other sources over the last year or so, for when I purchase my 550.
    Hope this helps:

Tubi exhaust. Enhanced exhaust sound: Weld in straight pipes.

Hood Pads: Have a tendency to fall down and should have adhesive added to the center of the pad.

Consider Coil over suspension for better handling and ride height adjustment.
    Note: Ride height is adjustable with stock suspension.
    Stock radiators sit low in the core support and have known to get damaged even at the stock ride height.

The larger Brembo Brakes is a good upgrade. Requires 19” wheels.
    550 and 575 OEM brakes are the same and are manufactured by Brembo
    without the Brembo logo.

Always perform a compression test and leak down test as a part of a PPI.

Looking for alternative wheels (possible 19”) in black. F-chat has a post by “Allanuber” from Australia showing a nice aftermarket wheel that is available.
    Recommended tire sizes for 19” wheels. Rear- 305/30ZR/19. Front- 255/35ZR/19
    Other 19” alternative: Rear- 19x12.5 wheel-Tire size 355/25/19
    Front- 19x9.0 wheel- Tire size 255/35/19

Moldings/trim have a tendency to become sticky and discolored. It is suppose to be removable.
    Interior plastic switches, knobs, ashtray cover, dash vents, mirror knobs, etc. have this same sticky problem. www.stickyremove.com has a resolution for this issue.

Coolant hoses underneath the intake manifold fail frequently and are apart of the cars regular maintenance.

Make sure you have all the service records, owner trails, both keys, radio code, all the books and tools when purchasing.

Upper A-arm bushings have known to fail prematurely and will make metallic rattle sound when driving over harsh road surfaces. These should also be checked as a part of a PPI.

Attempting to crank (start) the engine with a low or dead battery may destroy the air bag ECU if you continue to attempt to start the engine.
    A trickle charger is recommended to lessen battery related problems for cars not driven daily.

When charging or replacing the battery, always turn the cutoff switch to the “Off” position as recommended in the owner’s manual.
    Battery replacement recommendations: MTP-91 Interstate or the Delco 48-6.
    When the Service ride control light is on, it is usually the failure of one or more shock actuators. Contact www.captainzcnc.com to have your actuators rebuilt. This is considerably cheaper than buying new actuators. Note: actuators should be rebuilt in pairs only.

The 575 has much better motor mounts and they are direct replacements for the 550.

The seat belt light and buzzer have a tendency to fail and the buzzer goes off while driving even though the seat belt is buckled. The fix seems to be to just disconnect the connector under the drivers seat that travels from the seat belt buckle to the ECU.

You can download Ferrari owners manuals, shop manuals, parts manuals, brochures, articles, etc. at: http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/Downloads.htm

The Magnesium wheels were recalled for breaking and replaced with an aluminum version. The magnesium versions had solid spokes when viewed from the back, whereas the aluminum versions had hollow spokes on the back side.
    Make / Models : FERRARI / 550 MARANELLO Model/Build Years: 1997-1999

Recall Number: 01V297000
    Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE WHEEL BOLT INSERTS FITTED IN THE MAGNESIUM WHEEL CAN SHOW SIGNS OF CRACKING.

Consequence: IF THE WHEEL BOLT INSERTS BEGIN TO CRACK, A REDUCTION OF THE TORQUE APPLIED TO THE WHEEL WOULD RESULT. VEHICLE HANDLING COULD BE AFFECTED, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE ALL FOUR MAGNESIUM WHEELS WITH WHEELS MADE OF ALUMINUM, WHICH ARE NOT FITTED WITH INSERTS. ALL THE WHEEL BOLTS WILL ALSO BE REPLACED BECAUSE THE ALUMINUM WHEELS REQUIRE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF BOLT. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN OCTOBER 1, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FERRARI AT 1-201-816-2651.

Notes: ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I believe the noise actually is a result of worn shock mounts, both front and rear. This is more common than worn bushings

It is cheaper to simply buy a new Corvette actuator and modify it. (Search "Corvette actuator") That way you end up with a completely new actuator, besides Capt Z does not rebuild, he replaces a part but there are several other causes of failure none of which he can fix. There is no reason to replace both if only one is bad.

8. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Thanks Dave. I will update my info...

9. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    You really are going to love the 550 !

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    4th ferrari and the best one yet. bullet-proof and lights up tires in 3 gears.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    GS- The brakes are the same size on the 550 and 575M, but one piston size differs on the rear calipers, probably because of the weight of the F1 system.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    my car is now ten. electronic problems are currently a real problem. last year started not starting every time. took 7 months! now car will not start once turned off when hot(190 temp.)

13. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Hmm... sorry to hear.
    My 1998 550 is now 12 years old and no problems yet.
    How many miles on your car? (mine has approx. 21k).

If you can't get it fixed right locally, you might want to think of shipping it to an expert mechanic.
    There are a handful in the country that are head & shoulders better than the average mechanic out there.

Good luck.

14. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    In summation, there are far fewer inherent problems with the 550 than with other models. As they age, I'm sure that there will be more items added to "the list," but there are relatively few issues and none are what I would consider major. Service a 550 as you would any other car and it will serve you well.

15. pvanosta

pvanosta Rookie

Dec 26, 2009
    Corona Del Mar, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Van Osta
    Subscribing to this thread. Looking at a 550 myself.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mitchell- Many of the problems with older Ferraris, 550s included, are connector problems. Dave Helms at Scuderia Rampante has put together a connector kit for the 550 that may solve some of your glitches.

http://www.scuderiarampanteinnovations.com/solutions.html

Taz
    Terry Phillips

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    the driving experience is unparalleled. one or two problems is a minor inconvenience

18. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The afformentioned gas tank seal failure was in my 550. Not my 456. I do believe they are the same though.

A hairline fracture on a plastic piece holding back gas under pressure is the problem. The part has the words Fiat and Lancia on it.

19. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    +1 mine now has 26k and counting.....

20. garypadgett

garypadgett Rookie

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary Padgett
    They are great cars but do not kid yourself about the costs of maintenance.
    You are either going to be figuring out what parts you need and then trying to fix it yourself or you are going to be taking it to the dealer and getting hosed.
    In my case, I do not have the time to fix my car so it goes to the dealer for everything.
    I never get out with a bill less than $1000.00. The last bill they just tried to convince me now of was $17,000.00

Plan on tires every 7,000 miles. Coolant hose @600.00
    Towing it to the dealer every time the engine check light comes on.
    Belt service @5,000.00
    Alternator and Battery@1,600.00
    Rebuild compressor $2400.00 or buy a new one for $2900.00
    Re coating all the interior switches and dials $3,000.00 Sticky no more cost $1800.00 and dealer to remove and install $1200.00
    I have a 2000 with 22,000 miles that has been a very good car and always has run great.
    Bottom line is it is a Ferrari and is delicate.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gary- Those numbers are really on the high side. My car's April 2008 belt change by Gary Bobileff's shop was $1200 plus parts (two cam belts and two auxiliary belts).

Plenum hoses are a one time deal if the 575M or equivalent silicone hoses are used. Batteries are less than $150 for a good Interstate like mine. Have not had to rebuild the alternator. Here is a new one from Ricambi for ~$850.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=203454

My A/C is serviced every 2 years and blows cold with no issues. Here is a new compressor from Ricambi for ~$1500. New ones on E-Bay for less than $1K.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=263861

I think you are getting ripped off, mate.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ferrari's are not delicate but electronics are. These cars can take a huge track beating been there done that. I drive my car hard and never baby them and I will track streetcars too.

Lets put your numbers in perspective as a diy'er but don't be fooled you can diy and wreck something and it can cost you bigtime. To do diy do it for the love of the art and the fun hobby not to be cheap. Cheap is just a benefit.

<<Plan on tires every 7,000 miles. Coolant hose @600.00>> OK I admit it my car has $30 hoses in it. The pressure is no more than any other car. The conditions where it lives is not much more extreme. I don't care since I do more maintenance on my cars that others would anyway. Taking plenums off to access are just reasons for me to clean connectors and ensure electrical connectors to important things like temp sensors etc.

<<Towing it to the dealer every time the engine check light comes on.>> obd2 is super powerful and a federal mandate. Lots of info is in there without getting dirty. Many cel's are generic codes p0xxx. You can guess at most of the p1xxx proprietary codes from the 360 list online. The cheap scanners work and cost less than $50 bucks.

<<Belt service @5,000.00>> To me that means belts changed to late manufacture ferrari oem belts $100ea. new tensioners about every other belt change 350ea. total 900 bucks max sometimes 200 bucks timed with a degree wheel and dial guage
    <<Alternator and Battery@1,600.00>> I can rebuild an alternator 100 bucks battery is 150 bucks for the good no leak optima redtop
    <<Rebuild compressor $2400.00 or buy a new one for $2900.00>> in 25+ years of wrenching never had one of these go bad on any car I have ever owned. But I can rebuild that too 200 bucks
    <<Re coating all the interior switches and dials $3,000.00 Sticky no more cost $1800.00 and dealer to remove and install $1200.00>> Sticky is the man!!!! You can do it cheaper but not better don't even try.

23. garypadgett

garypadgett Rookie

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary Padgett
    I totally agree with you guys in that I know I am getting ripped off every time my car goes in. The dealer is outrageous in parts and labor. After getting the car from the Boston F dealer I have only had Central Florida work on the car so have no other experience. I did have a A/C shop in Ft. Lauderdale charge the A/C system and check for leaks two years ago once and it was reasonable at $100. I am going to take the car back to them now after I get the car out of Central Florida dealer.

When I bought the car with 7K miles on it and being 4 years old I had them do a 30K belt inspection then to get a factory 2 year warranty on the car. It was 6K then.

Right now they want to do the belts again with 22K miles on the car for 5K. I am passing.

I stopped working on cars in the early 70's and feel intimidated by the complexities of the Ferrari and all computers now in the cars. I also do not have the time or space to take the car apart and spread parts all over while trying to fix something that may take days to weeks.

That is really why I don't drive the car much any more. Is the last 4 years I have put 6 thousand miles on it.

I do need new tires again and am going to change to Michelin Pilot Sports as I have always had P zero's and get about 6K miles to a set of them. This last 4 years the P zero's started to dry rot.

Gary

24. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Not true at all. The dealer and indys do a good service. You only get ripped off when they do a bad service. DIY is not as cheap as it seems. There is the learning curve and paying for personal f@ckups etc. Shops, have overhead ...work comp and rent...all kinds of things that make a business run. You pay for that and it is fair. They provide a waranty and are licensed in your state and pay ferrari to go to ferrari school or have lots of experience from the school of hard knocks. I'm a very advanced diy'er and I never think or tell anyone a real mechanic is putting the screws to you. If you have better things to do with your time then paying for services is totally appropriote. Don't let any diy'er goad you into bad thoughts about your choices. My only reason to post was not to beat on the real mechanics but to just offer contrast as what the hobby could be. I have paid my dues to get this far and realize that many diy'er screw stuff up and have to quietly pay extra to have real mechanics fix their work. So cheap is only good if the outcome is good otherwise it is just cheap. We all have to decide for ourselves how far we want to go with the hobby. Me... I 'like getting grease under the fingernails and I like learning from good mechanics.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- He is being quoted prices far in excess of new parts through FNA. Whoever is giving him these ridiculously inflated prices is what? You pick the term.

Taz
    Terry Phillips