Any auto enthusiasts here or just speculators? | FerrariChat

Any auto enthusiasts here or just speculators?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by one4torque, Jun 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I dont' see much banter about tracking these cars or spirited driving.

Most of the chatter is around market timing, and expenses.....

does any one use these cars for their intended purpose.... or is this more of an asset allocation for people?

where do I find some good info on track setups, experience, etc....???
    thx.

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i think they might belong to the "track" section of this forum. lots of enthusiam there.
    However I have to point out , using a street car on a track isn't a good idea, for safety concerns, for starters. ( brake fade, roll cage, etc)

3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P

What he said. Maybe check out the track section of the forum.

4. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    "does any one use these cars for their intended purpose"
    each owner has their own intended purpose.
    Ferrari's most likely intended purpose was to sell an item and make a profit.

see here for good track / DE discussions
    https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/

cheers

Craig

MalcQV likes this.
  5. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
  6. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    As others have pointed out, you are just in the wrong section... LOL

7. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I just tracked my F430 Spider at Watkins Glen at a FCA HPDE event recently and had a blast! No brake fade, no problems. You go as fast as you feel safe, instructors w you the whole time, separate skill level groups etc. I can’t wait for do it again! I posted something about it in the Tracking section, but I encourage everyone to try it.

These cars are a blast on the track!

8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    yeah.... I did not realize I was in the auto investment forum ;) lol.... will check out the racing track section.

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    will do some research here on the weak points of this car for track days. breaks, heat soak, etc..... anyone hit cota with a 360 in middle of summer? any cooling issues? thx.

10. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    WHAT?????????

Are you serious? Read a page or two of the current postings. The issues cover a lot of things, the least of which are related to future value.

I find that the most owners have a genuine interest in how their vehicles perform, or not, particularly when something has failed and they look for guidance from others.

11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Yup serious. That's why I posted up.
    No offense... just an observation.
    Hope to see these cars put to the paces, and owners learning how to drive them at DE's... etc....

egs... has this bottomed out yet?, .... it's not that exciting anymore as these are just financial instruments..... etc..... etc.....
    how boring life would be to consider such a thing only a financial instrument :).... so sad.

On the flip side.... most of the other marques I've played with had NO chance of appreciating..... so perhaps I'm skewed... and why I'm an F car newb.

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    oh... albkid.... this thread was MOVED from the 360 forum...... that is why I was asking....... clearly this section is racing related.

13. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I completely disagree. I wish I was in a position to look upon 'financial investments", I just keep my head above water :D

What is food for one man maybe poison for another. Whatever floats your boat. Your money your choice to enjoy however you feel. As suggested above, it's probably fair to say Enzo just built these road cars so he could race.

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I was a founding member of the Desert Region of the FCA. I've also been a racer and an instructor for over 20 years. At least in our region, the vast majority of these characters are far more interested in picking a valet spot than an apex. So, I kicked that group to the curb in favor of guys that just like having fun and going fast.

What are you looking for?

one4torque likes this.
  15. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I track my 458.
    Never feel unsafe and able to recognize my limits.
    The car is built for track use, just adjust the tire pressures.

16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Ingener- My observation as well. Nothing wrong w investments and looking fast... but there is a diff bet looking fast and going fast :)

Doug- 458. Thx agree.

I dont claim to be a ring contender, but i def caught the bug the first time i was instructed to steer the car w throttle... and it worked! Hooked.

I cringe when i hear people play the car foodchain game.

Would rather see a guy wrangling a 70’s 308 at 10/10’s than a 488 drag racing down main street.

17. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

I do not plan to track the Ferrari..... i have spent a lot of time at the track, and there are too many things that can go wrong, that are unexpected. For sure, track time is fun. I could take my other F vehicle... and F150 ... and still have fun , although not nearly as much as in a Ferrari.

However, I am a cheap bastard.... cars are expensive...... so I prefer 2 wheels. A set of tires lasts me 5
    Trackdays ... brakes last a couple of seasons, and if I crash.... it is usually under $1000 to fix it. :D ... and taking the track vehicle to the track is much easier with a bike.

But - if you can afford it and are ok with the possible consequences, do it! It is tremendous fun and you drive/ride at your own speed. I suggest taking a course, before you start tracking your own car, so that you do not pick up bad habits. Remember, read a track back to front..... then you will understand where to carry speed deep into the corner, or when to get on he brakes early, so that you can get on the gas sooner. ;)

18. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I put 15 track days at COTA on my last car, and by that point it just didn't drive the same. COTA is rough on cars. While I'm itching to take my 458 to the track, I just don't want it to end up like my last car.

If the track was my sole purpose, the GT3 RS would have been the purchase. I know guys with 30 track days on a .1 with stock rotors and pads, no issues. One guys over heats in the summer, but for a street car, it seems to be the track car.

Maybe I'll take the 458 to a smaller local circuit for fun. Somewhere you don't break one hundred five times per lap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    #19 pdxjim488, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    I had driven my new F car about a week and realized that the track was the safest place to enjoy the performance. Been racing SCCA for 24 years and this car is amazing. I went out with the BMW club and the next week did HOD. Several fellow track enthusiasts came by and chatted. They were quite surprised to see my car on track, I was off on tire pressures so next time it should be more fun.

20. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Only about fifty track days each of the last two years.

I’d echo what has been said before though: only an actual racecar provides you the safety to push your car more to the limit. An excellent driver can wring more out of a streetcar, but us average guys really need the benefit of all the safety a track car supplies.

nis1973, Manda racing and one4torque like this.